C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

My car has over 201,000 miles . . . help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4MATIC
My car has over 201,000 miles . . . help!

I wanted to get some feedback from all the experts on this wonderful forum. My 1995 C220 is about to cross 202K miles and I was wondering what types of service issues, part replacements, etc. I should consider to keep the car running for a while longer. Aside from the shocks, one rear control arm/rods, and radiator, most major parts that don't need routine replacement (i.e. filters, brakes, tires, etc.) are still original equipment and have not been replaced since I purchased the car.

I was planning to take it to the dealer (reluctantly) to have them investigate the source of a squeaking / heaving sound that is becoming louder and louder from the front suspension / tire area. The brake discs need to be replaced but I'm not sure whether this is part of the problem. Someone mentioned tie rods being a potential problem. The car drives fine, just vibrates like crazy when I brake hard (worn out brakes/discs, I assume). Any ideas what else it could be? I have very little faith in the dealers but the local mechanics to whom I've shown the car are unable to determine anything the cause of the noise.

Furthermore, I would appreciate any other suggestions that you may have to offer regarding parts that should be checked/replaced and service(s) that should be performed.

As always, everyone has been very helpful in this forum and I'm really looking forward to some insightful ideas.

Thanks very much.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
wow...202k huh? Very nice, got some pics

Anyways, I'd just keep up with the regular maintenance and you should be fine. Just be on the look out for things starting to wear out like you said. If you haven't replaced your shocks before (still original meaning) it could be those making the noise as you go over bumps as stuff cuz its worn out.

As for the squeeking, is it like a "moaning" or "creaking" sound up front? If so, I have the same prob now, only it does it once in a while. I had it checked out and it was the right front ball joint, wearing out from age. I was quoted $325 for the front ball joints.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM

1999 C280 Sport
202K miles is very very IMPRESSIVE! PROPS to you man.

The vibration during hard brakes is because your rotors are warped. Usually that happens when you use aftermarket pads, or just cause it's old and worn. So new pads and rotors is a must- not sure front or rears.

Best thing to do, get all your parts from online, take it to the independent store and have them put in the parts, much cheaper than the d(st)ealership.

Start w/ the basics, all filters & fluids:

oil & filter
air filter
AT fluid & filter (not sure if your model has AT filter)
gas filter
ACC cabin filter (again, not sure if your model has cabin filter)
coolant
differential gear oil
spark plugs (possibly wire)
also brakes:
recommended from Douglasandhis280
PBR Deluxe pads & ATE slotted rotors (I'll try these myself next time)

You can get all these items from www.importec.com or www.thepartsbin.com or www.bimmerzone.com

Odds are you'll need to change the shocks too, and they have it at those sites too, no need for changing springs, those last forever.

Hopefully all that should be under $1K in parts and another $500 in labor at an independent shop.

Good Luck~

timecop369
Old 04-21-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a lot of miles, i dont even know if a civic would run that long lol.

but CONGRATS ON GETTING THIS FAR!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:07 PM

202K miles!!!!

GET A NEW CAR!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:33 PM

1995 C280
yeah, keep it going and you'll be on one of the mercedes commercials too.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
wouldn't that be awsome to see a w202 reach 1,000,000 miles???
Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
thats a lot of miles, i dont even know if a civic would run that long lol.

but CONGRATS ON GETTING THIS FAR!
I had an Accord with 400,000 miles on it.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:19 PM

Check the steering damper, tie rods, all the ball joints of steering control arms (comes in one whole unit) and at last the hub bearings for excessive free play.

My one had the similar problem half a year ago. After adjusted the hub bearing, the noise was eliminated.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:41 PM

: I had an Accord with 400,000 miles on it.

Honda's engine last much longer than the chasis. I had a 1983 Honda Accord EX 700,000km, I dumped it in 2002 because no way the rusty car body could pass the warrant of fitness test. The engine was always found satisfaction. The sevices done over the period on that car were water pump, carbon brush of the alternator and rocker cover gasket replaced.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 PM

There is a "country" doctor in southern Alberta that bought a new 1985 190D at the insistence of his father. Back in 85, that was a very expensive car. A new Accord was about $12K-CDN and that 190D was close to $30K. It's a manny tranny car. Today, he still has it, and still drives it. He's at 1,300,000 km's, or about 800K-miles. He's put a few clutches in it and had some top-end work done, but otherwise it's shockingly original.

Why? The engine is always fully warmed as the car spends it's life on the highway. He's also VERY perticualar with maintenance.

It works.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:59 PM

2004 E500 4MATIC
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

The dealership gave me a full diagnostic on the car (and a bill of $300 too!) and made the following recommendations:

For suspension noise issues:
Front ball joints - replace
Front lower control arm bushings - replace
Sway bar bushings - replace
Idler arm - replace
Rear lower control arm spindle bushings - replace

For check engine light:
Engine wiring harness - replace
Vacuum block, bowden cable - replace

For vibration when braking:
Front and rear brake discs - replace
Front and rear brake pads - replace

They also recommended that I should replace the engine belt and tensioner, which is worn and noisy.

I am not terribly familiar with all the workings of the vehicle's suspension and so I was hoping to get some help from you guys. The Parts Bin has decent prices for most of these items but they were not able to get a part for the rear control arm spindle bushings. I called the dealership to get specific part numbers; although my service advisor agreed to get back to me with the info, he still hasn't done so, despite my calling him twice already. Moreover, I wasn't sure if I should replace all the control arms, rods, etc. in the back on both sides or whether I should only replace the bushings, as recommended. Given the mileage on the car, I'm wondering whether I may need to get them replaced later.

Any ideas and/or feedback on the recommended items. Of course,the dealership is asking for an arm and a leg to get the parts and work done. I am planning on purchasing the parts from The Parts Bin and taking the car to my local mechanic.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:15 PM

C220
Make sure you get that wiring harness done first, especially if it has never been replaced before- this can cause alottttt of headaches- I'm surprised it lasted to 200k if it's the original.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:25 PM

2004 E500 4MATIC
What is the function of the wiring harness? The Parts Bin informed me that this item is available only through the dealer. Is that true? Can any mechanic replace this part or is this a dealer service item?

Also what is the vacuum block and idler arm?

Last edited by umalik; 05-19-2004 at 06:30 PM.