C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Anyone removed sunroof bellows lately?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Anyone removed sunroof bellows lately?

I removed my sunroof bellows to remove the sunshade and I have a question about the pieces that I took out.

In the attached photo there is a bellows and a black plastic clip that came from the drivers side. I don't remember there being this same black clip on the right side. I found a fuzzy diagram online that only shows one clip but the diagram had no key so I'm not sure if there are supposed to be two clips.

I have been looking everywhere including in the garbage for a second clip that may have walked away but no luck.

2 questions-

Are there supposed to be 2 clips?

If so, do you know the part number? I have a 1998 C230
Attached Thumbnails Anyone removed sunroof bellows lately?-img_0018.png  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 PM

'95 C280, '98 C43
Ever figure this one out? Yes, there is one on each side. I'm currently working a steel sunroof to glass moon roof conversion. Becoming very familiar with all the different brackets. This clip holds the front end of the bellows rail to the roof cradle/bracket. There are plenty in a nearby recycle yard.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:11 AM

1998 C230
I went to a wrecking yard and found the 2nd clip. Then I found the missing one in the 'rain channel' or whatever it's called on the trunk lid. Do you have any idea how to get at the sunroof cables to lube them without making a mess of the mechanism?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 PM

'95 C280, '98 C43
Clean the Feet First

Originally Posted by matrophy
I went to a wrecking yard and found the 2nd clip. Then I found the missing one in the 'rain channel' or whatever it's called on the trunk lid. Do you have any idea how to get at the sunroof cables to lube them without making a mess of the mechanism?
Sorry for the delayed response.

Before you open the cable channels. Have you first cleaned the felt feet (3) and the rails. When I did my glass panel conversion I took the time to degrease and de-gum the rails. I took all the arms off, cleaned parts and joints and soaked the felt feet in soapy water. I then re-greased with MB approved grease. You can buy kit w/ small container of it here:
https://mercedessource.com/store/sun...and-pad-grease

I also highly recommend watching this video:

I know our setup is different...but clean the pads first.

. I know, older MBs had the motor in the trunk and cables running up the roof. The 202s have the motors up under the front dome light and cables run along both sides in an enclosed housing - protected from dirt. Again, I recommend you clean the feet of the arms and rails first.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:57 PM

1998 C230
Thanks. I saw this video already and it's confusing because I don't have the feet that he's referring to. Maybe the glass sunroof is different. I did lube the rails with the MB "gold-plated" grease. I am re-covering the sun shade and before I put everything back together I want to take a look at the sunroof cables to see if they need lubing. Seems that info of how to do this with my model doesn't exist. I was going to look at mercedessource's sunroof videos to see if there is any similarity - such as the motor being in the roof instead of in the trunk - that I could extrapolate from. I emailed mercedessource to see if I could get some advice but the reply was - "No, the chassis are completely different." I an hoping that what videos he has are close enough to what I'm trying to get done.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:31 PM

'95 C280, '98 C43
There are feet a.k.a. felt pads on both version. Metal or glass roof. I will post pictures at the end of the week.