C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Intermittent no crank 1998 C280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C280
Intermittent no crank 1998 C280

Hi guys & gals,
A little over a year ago my wife bought a really nice 1998 C280. Beautiful, clean, one owner, low mileage for the year (108k, now 112k), wonderful running car. Still is, she loves it. But recently it has developed a random no crank issue. The battery & connections appears to be in fine shape. At the battery it reads 12.57 volts. Running & charging at the battery it reads 14.10 volts. So the alternator is charging just fine. In a no crank situation it appears to have plenty of power, lights will be bright & everything works. Turn the key you'll hear the ignition unlock turn to start & a single click. It might take 2-8 times & then it will start fine. It might start fine for a several days no issues. It might not. It is just completely random & it has me scratching my head. When I check the voltage from inside the car through climate control panel it reads 11.6 volts key on & 13.6 running & charging.

In the past I've always been pretty handy & never had any problems diagnosing & repairing my autos. But we mostly drove Ford products, though in recent decades Ford has lost its luster. One of the reasons my wife wanted this Mercedes that & we both prefer RWD cars. Another reason is I developed late onset MS & my wife wanted a low maintenance reliable auto so as not to have to worry me about it. All expertise aiding troubleshooting this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by cherring; 12-02-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C280
I was hoping someone might have had a similar experience. My first thought is the starter solenoid may be sticking & on the way out. But I'm not who likes to throw parts at a car until the solution is finally found. One of my concerns as I noted above is the difference between the readings @ the battery with a volt meter & inside the car via the climate control interface. I am wondering if there might be something that would limit the voltage between the battery & that is why in car it is reading lower than @ the battery? My next step would be to jack up the car & check voltage @ the solenoid & the solenoid. It is just difficult for me to get up & down & want to know if there is anything connections between I should check beforehand. Thanks.