C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

compared to BMW 5 series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230 5-a
Thumbs up compared to BMW 5 series

My compliments to board members. Much more down to earth than the Bimmer board I used to frequent. I had a 95 530i stick and had issues with the board members that I would never have here. I inquired about chipping my 5 series and got lots of responses about how it makes the car faster. I just wanted to know how much faster the chipped cars were. After many posts, I asked if anyone had simply used a stopwatch to compare the 0-60 times before and after chipping. Not one person did and you wouldn't believe the tone of their responses! Arrogance and stupidity. Not everyone on the board was that way, but clearly, BMW does attract a lot of poseurs.

I just passed 3 years owning my 98 c230 non-kompressor, 5A. I bought the car (with 46k miles on it) from a dealer after my lease ended on a 95 530i stick. The most basic model with MB tex seats, basic (lousy) MB cassette/radio, manual passenger seat, etc. Have had only minor problems since warranty expired and have been able to handle myself. I now have 91k miles. This car handles way better than the Bmw, has just about the same interior space, gets better mileage and I LOVE the 5 speed automatic that I shift manually very often. I drive and play harmonica with such a grin.

My take on the 530i and BMW related issues:
1. 530i stick - fast car. Not so quick off the line, but there is no autobahn in California.
2. 5 was very well balanced, but at 3700 pounds, it was too heavy for my liking. Handling way way overrated.
3. Good mileage and large tank meant LA to San Fran and more on one tank.
4. I found the Bmmmr service people way too arrogant.
5. Often, while attempting to change lanes on the freeways, people would speed up to prevent me from going. I saw the middle fingers on lots of folks hands. (by the way, I am a middle age guy with gray hair)
6. Build on Benz seems superior.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:37 AM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
I can relate to your comments

My wife has an E39 (98 528i) so I frequent the BMW forums to learn about deling with problems with her car. You have bad apples in both MB and BMW forums, just as you have both good and bad MB and BMW dealers.

In reguards to quality, some people feel that the quality on the MBs has suffered since the purchase/mearge with Chrysler. Your car is one of the last pre-merger cars.

People on this forum have commented that the 98 C-230 engine is one of the best MB made and if you have a late 98 production car, the Electronic Transmission problems that started with it's introduction in 97 were fixed, so you have reason to feel that you have a solid W202.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:14 PM

1995 C280
i also like the looks better than a 95 530i. interesting reading, thanks.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
I agree with most of that. I used to have an 89 and 92 190E and now I have an 88 BMW 325 as a "getting around car." The 190's were built so much better and felt much more solid than the BMW. I do have to give congrats to BMW for the trip computer though.

Many people blame the Chrysler merger for Mercedes going down hill. It was more of a coincidence than the actual merger affecting anything. Remember Mercedes bought Chrysler. Chrysler has improved drastically since this with the use of Mercedes parts and know how. (the new 300C and Crossfire are good examples) You can expect Mercedes to be on and up-rise of better quality soon because they will be building cars the way they used to do which is to a standard and not a price. I have seen previews of the new ones coming out in 2006 and 2007 and I promise you will not be dissapointed.

I have also seen the future for BMW. They will no longer be using the number system to name their cars. The future names are Grand AM, Grand Prix, Bonneville, and the X5 will be renamed Aztek. All M series will simply be badged GTO with red painted calipers.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 PM

1995 C280
I have also seen the future for BMW. They will no longer be using the number system to name their cars. The future names are Grand AM, Grand Prix, Bonneville, and the X5 will be renamed Aztek. All M series will simply be badged GTO with red painted calipers. [/B][/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!