C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

'98 c280, 75k miles, second water pump in 18 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 C280
'98 c280, 75k miles, second water pump in 18 months

See the title: why have I had to again replace the water pump after only about 18 months? This is my wife's car, we use Zerex coolant as recommended so the pump seal should be okay.

Background: I just installed my second Hepu water pump and Bosch fan clutch on this car. The prior fan clutch roared like a lion, so I sent it back (to fcpeuro) and they sent another, which also roared. Thing is very stiff before we drive the car, and doesn't loosen up at all though we live 800 ft above town, so it's a goodly climb back home. Water temp has always been stable on the gage, barely above 85C, not an issue at all to my thinking.

You're thinking: why does this moron use a pump which failed before, and a clutch which roars?

My thoughts on the fan clutch: I read they are supposed to be stored upright, but of course this will NEVER be the case if one buys online, and likely not the case at the dealer either. When the latest came, there was moisture (tiny silicone fluid droplets?) in the plastic bag. We'll see how long this one goes. At least fcpeuro offers a lifetime warranty; I'll be on them like stink on sh*t if or rather when, these go bad. And I think I'll have a conversation concerning the above with them and post results here.

It's said that if you cruise around the galaxy in your spaceship, then land on a strange planet and ask the locals if there's any intelligent life, any answer is significant. Let's see...
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 C280
BUMP.

No life, intelligent or otherwise? Can a fan clutch survive storage and shipment if they are supposed to be stored upright?