C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Intermittent BAS ESP LIGHT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Intermittent BAS ESP LIGHT

Greetings all,

​​​​​​I have a 2000 W202 (USA MODEL) C230 Kompressor sedan with approx 60k miles which has been exhibiting an intermittent illumination of my BAS /ESP light. Well, it WAS intermittent but now is illuminated all of the time. It's important to note that the ABS light is NOT lit, and that the traction control and ABS systems both seem to be working fine. Additionally, I have replaced the notorious brake light switch and then tried resetting the system by turning the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then all the way left again - and then, finally, back to center - all with the engine running. Removed the key and restarted and BAS ESP light still shining bright as ever (D'Oh!). Lastly, all brake lights (i.e. the third stop lamp and two lower rear tail lights) are working fine - and have been all along.

I'm tight on funds at the moment and am trying to avoid buying the appropriate $canner tool or a trip to the dealer$hip - so here I sit writing this new post at 1:30 in the morning hoping that someone has some sage words of knowledge that they can offer in response to this plea for help.

In closing I would also like to add that I've read the culprit could also very well be the Acceleration ESP sensor (i.e. yaw rate sensor?). I can snag one easily and cheaply enough on eBay (used) or price out a new one - but I am not sure where to find this F.R.E.D. (F***"*g Ridiculous Electronic Device) on my particular model. Any advice with regard to it's location would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance...

Mark
Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
ESP saga

I have a 2003 C320 with intermittent ESP failure alarm. As tine went in the frequency of the alarm increased and suddenly my ABS light illuminated and my car skidded a bit. I took it to the shop where the scanner diagnosed a faulty YAW sensor. For cost purposes I bought a used one and installed it. Now the ESP alarm kicks on very seldomly and the brakes have not suddenly grabbed.

Im not sure the root cause has been fixed, but it’s better than it was.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Thanks Mitman for the info,

​​​​​​I followed sage advice and went ahead and purchased a diagnostic reader for my car...a Foxwell NT520 PRO along with the required 38-pin Multiplexer (to access the 38 pin diagnostic port located under the hood since this is a problem with the esp/abs system - the diagnostic codes for which, on this car, cannot be read via the OBD II port located under the driver's side of the dashboard).

Anyway, I ran diagnostics a week ago and it appears that, in my case anyway, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) is the culprit. I have read that the SAS can be removed and cleaned which sometimes clears the problem. This was the case with my air mas flow sensor problem of a few weeks ago - which I fixed by removing the MAF and cleaning it with a 7$ can of MAF cleaner (regardless of what anyone tells you, never, ever EVER use anything else but MAF cleaner or you run the risk of removing the fine coating on the thin wires contained therein - and ruining your MAF in the process). But i digress...

I hope to remove the steering wheel later today or at some point during the weekend to see if I can get lucky twice. I'm going to shoot either still images or video of the procedure and will report back on my findings for the benefit of anyone else who may encounter the same problem.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited by BenzManNow; 07-13-2018 at 11:37 AM.