C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Do you use an alarm? Do you know of any 202s that have been stolen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you use an alarm? Do you know of any 202s that have been stolen?

Do you have an alarm on your 202? If so, is it factory or aftermarket?

Has anybody here had there 202 stolen, or know somebody that did? Are these difficult to steal?

Just curious. I'm considering putting an alarm in and would like to know what other members are using/their experiences.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:12 PM

isnt the keyless entry system also an alarm system?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:14 PM

Mine is a 94. Not keyless.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:33 PM

1998- SmartKey cars are tough to steal. However, they can easily be stolen using a tow truck. The most common method is to break into the house and steal the keys. 1997 and earlier cars are not that hard if you know what you're doing.

If you have a 1994 to 1997 C-Class and are concerned about theft, get a good alarm system installed with a started interrupt system. Make sure it's buried deep and get MB references for the install. The install is more important than the gear.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 PM

Thankyou blackmercedes.

Do you think, personally that my model is easy to steal?

I will have to do a search on started interrupt systems.

I don't have an alarm now and never have had any problems. I'm moving back to a bigger city and it has me thinking.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by SLCPUNK
Not easy like a Neon, but not that tough. Mercedes responed big time with the SmartKey, but the early C-Class cars without alarm systems are vulnerable.

Here's a copy of something I wrote on the subject of remote starters on another forum, but the principles apply to alarms as well...

I used to own a shop that specialized in auto electronics. Ultra high-end audio systems (did a couple systems with price tags well over $100K, lots $30-50K.) We also did lots of remote car starters, as I live in frigid Canada.

We were the only shop in the city recommended by BMW and Mercedes dealers.

We did lots of W140 pre-switchblade/pre-SmartKey cars. Easy (relative to some other Mercedes) system IF you know what you're doing. DON'T go to somewhere that has no Mercedes experience. Mercedes interior panels work differently than regular cars. These cars have many quirks that can trip up a regular electronics installer. I repeat: IF THEY DON'T HAVE MERCEDES EXPERIENCE RUN AWAY. They could do real damage to your car. Know how much an instrument cluster costs?

IMPORTANT:
Ask if they use SRS and ECM safe testing/installing equipment. A circuit tester uses voltage to test the wire. Even a tiny voltage like the one given out by a tester will INFLATE AN AIRBAG. Or wreck your ASR/ETS/ESP computer. Special (read: expensive) testing equipment is needed to work on MB cars. We used a small ECM/SRS safe test light for tight spaces. Snap-On's best price: $600. For one small light, with no other stuff. Ouch.

(as an aside, pulling the fuse for your SRS may not disable it as the voltage required to fire it is so low, a static charge in the unit or on the line will be enough if the sensor indicates a condition to fire)

Ask them if they know where the tach pick up is for your car. You don't want them poking a tester into ignition system components. They need to know where it is, right off.

Ask them if they know how to by-pass the factory anti-theft system. You don't want them poking wires trying to figure it out.

Ask them what types of joints they use. Anything other than soldered for EVERY wire, run away. Ask for references from MB owners. We gladly gave that out.

1. The SmartKey cars CANNOT be equipped with a remote car starter. Mercedes will NOT release the encription codes for the anti-theft key. The double system of RF and IR, both using rolling code algorithmic encription systems is impossible to get around. We took a C43 completely apart, and couldn't solve it.

2. The Mercedes switchblade key can be broken, but the AAM computer will figure out that an unauthorized key is being used, and TOTALLY disable the car. It only takes a few remote starts, and your car is DEAD. Then, ouch, the system erases all the keys and you end up $$ light at the dealer. And you don't want to know what a new AAM computer and key set costs. The GDP of some nations.

3. You may no longer be welcome at some MB dealers. Some will NOT work on an automobile equipped with a remote start unit. Mercedes' factory believes them to be inherently unsafe. "The car should not be running unattended."

4. This will not be cheap, and if the price quoted to you seems "great", there is a reason. We NEVER did ANY Mercedes system for less than $1500. Quality takes time. Lots of it. Some MB owners were disappointed at the cost (we did Neons for $169 installed), but when they learned why, they understood. Also, the Neon didn't get top-line electronics.

5. Find about safety systems. We NEVER let a car out of the door without a sophisticated hood pin (series of electromagnets) system that detected when the hood was open and disabled the starter. That way you couldn't accidentally start the car with the hood up. If they show a puny spring operated pin, then you're in the wrong shop. If the car was put into gear, the engine would die. If the brake pedal was touched, the car would die. If the rpm broke a certain threshold, the car would die. The remote start system has to be tied into all those systems to ensure safe operation. If the shop says it's not required, RUN AWAY. Tying into all that electronic stuff takes time and expertise.

We did a 1993 S600 car. Top-line system, superb installation. By-pass factory security, added keyless entry. Price: $3500. 1/2 mile range with page-back to confirm start. Lock/Unlock status through page-back. Took a week to carefully dismantle the dash, install the unit, and reinstall interior bits. I'm sure we barely broke even after paying the labour charges.

BTW, the Mercedes SmartKey is the cat's *** of anti-theft systems. Nothing better sold today. Unbreakable even by techs with killer equipment.

We took a 2000 323i apart and broke the BMW radio-key system. 2nd toughest.

We broke all the Japanese systems quickly. Lexus almost on par with BMW, miles behind Mercedes

GM/Chryco/Ford's took about 15 minutes. Simple systems, easy to crack. Keep only joy-riders from taking your car.

Easiest car to steal? GM. and Dodge Neon. Gone in 60 seconds? What took you SO LONG!!!?

Anyway, be VERY careful when looking into having a remote starter installed on your Mercedes. It's NOT an easy thing to install (despite the claims of some systems sold over-the-counter touting DIY install) and takes a huge amount of knowledge, equipment,and time.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.

yes, very easy.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:04 PM

That was very informative. Thanks for your time. I will have to wait a while and do this after I get settled. But I'll clip and paste that in the meantime.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dont get mad cause you asked a question and i answered it.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:26 PM

I was answering BM who went out of his way to give me an informative answer.

But if you feel left out, thank you too.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was answering BM who went out of his way to give me an informative answer.

But if you feel left out, thank you too.
oh please thank me... now i feel lucky.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 AM

Ignore list updated.....
Old 05-26-2004, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

okay...???
Old 05-26-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
he probably doesnt like you becuse you are on probation

you always get a raw deal ahopeter...
Old 05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ShollyC220
he probably doesnt like you becuse you are on probation

you always get a raw deal ahopeter...
HAHA, maybe Sholly...maybe ... what can i do....im used to it.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
When my parents bought the w202 in '94, a Clifford alarm system was put in at time of delivery, that was the option from the dealer, nothing from MB. They installed it and such.

'bout two years ago, it failed causing my car (i've owned it for 3 years now) to not start and had to be towed to the dealer for the alarm system to be hacked up and taken out so that the car would start. I think something with the kill start function messed up big time...

got another one installed a month later, was using the key method for a month.

I dunno, I guess I was use to keyless entry and a alarm with start disable. I find that keyless is a bit more convenient as well if you carrying stuff and can just unlock the car while your walking towards it.

I don't doubt that the earlier w202's are hard to steal, BUT I would think pro's doing boosts are looking for the high-class models and not entry level C-Classes :p and amateur's probably figure MB's are trouble/harder to steal because, well, it's an MB. They want something quick and easy, possibly a Honda or Toyota (two most stolen vehicles in the U.S. I believe?)

I lived in Boston for a year and my car was parked on the streets, nothing happened. But, it's a piece of mind for a small expense if you in a big city. The only thing is a alarm will do no good if thieves want something inside, such as a radio, radar detector, cell phone, purse, wallet, etc. UNLESS of course you get one of those fancy alarm systems that can page/call you if the alarm is going off (my uncle got one of those, pretty sweet )

Alarm's are so common these days when one goes off, no one hardly looks twice anymore because they figure it's a false alarm.

Good luck man! (sorry for the long post )
Old 05-29-2004, 07:20 PM

2004 e320
i have two MB's and drive them into manhattan on a regular basis (4 times per week) i always park on the street around the lower east side. my cars have factory alarms and to be honest i really don't consider theft prevention for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that the "city" is a place where your car is at high risk is seriously flawed both statistically and from personal experience. Your car is highly likely to be scratched or dinged in a city more than stolen. that is a real issue! I have had two cars stolen in my life. both times in suburban areas (?) i find in a city people are always around and about the streets preventing theft just by proxy. where in suburban areas the cover of darkness and abandonment during the evening hours makes a great opportunity for theives. In a case where a car alarm goes off in suburbia people ignore it assumeing it is a false alarm. People in NYC hate car alarms so the instatn the thing goes off people are peeking out etc.
second reason is that if a professional wants your car they will get it. i don't give a **** if you rig a shotgun to the steering column. most real pros use a flatbed or tow anyway. if *you* are going to jack a SL500 only a rookie will enter the car without (a) keys (b) or a tow/bed to get it out quick. a tow-truck attracts less attention than an alarm for obvious reasons.

the end result is that i just park and don't worry. oh well. thats life if it gets stolen. i hate to say it but an alarm and lo-jack is a waste of money in my opinion. both of my cars stolen in suburbia were cases where the theif studied my patterns and waited to confront me and take the car with keys and all. so hey! thats it. nothing personal i thought. my only request when the guy took my LS 430 was "trash that ****er, cause i don't want it after you get done driving it.." no response from him. anyway thats all for now. spend the money on some good CD's or a night out.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by brett
i have two MB's and drive them into manhattan on a regular basis (4 times per week) i always park on the street around the lower east side. my cars have factory alarms and to be honest i really don't consider theft prevention for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that the "city" is a place where your car is at high risk is seriously flawed both statistically and from personal experience. Your car is highly likely to be scratched or dinged in a city more than stolen. that is a real issue! I have had two cars stolen in my life. both times in suburban areas (?) i find in a city people are always around and about the streets preventing theft just by proxy. where in suburban areas the cover of darkness and abandonment during the evening hours makes a great opportunity for theives. In a case where a car alarm goes off in suburbia people ignore it assumeing it is a false alarm. People in NYC hate car alarms so the instatn the thing goes off people are peeking out etc.
second reason is that if a professional wants your car they will get it. i don't give a **** if you rig a shotgun to the steering column. most real pros use a flatbed or tow anyway. if *you* are going to jack a SL500 only a rookie will enter the car without (a) keys (b) or a tow/bed to get it out quick. a tow-truck attracts less attention than an alarm for obvious reasons.

the end result is that i just park and don't worry. oh well. thats life if it gets stolen. i hate to say it but an alarm and lo-jack is a waste of money in my opinion. both of my cars stolen in suburbia were cases where the theif studied my patterns and waited to confront me and take the car with keys and all. so hey! thats it. nothing personal i thought. my only request when the guy took my LS 430 was "trash that ****er, cause i don't want it after you get done driving it.." no response from him. anyway thats all for now. spend the money on some good CD's or a night out.
That was a great post. Especially the end. I may still consider a kill switch, but I am pretty sure an alarm is all but useless.

So, you leave me with one question...what happened to the LS430 after the guy took it? Did it ever come back?

Gdawg thanks for your answer too. Never too long, especially if it's got great info.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:26 PM

2004 e320
actually, my insurance company only pays after 30 days so i had to wait it out. ironically, a week after they sent me a check for the car the police called me at home and said they needed me to ID a car registered in my name etc. well the dude who stole it was driving the car at the time and they had him in cuffs. i said that the car was certainly mine etc, and he was the guy who stole it. better yet, when they opened the trunk of the car there was a tool set worth about 2500 in there. i have never seen the thing in my life. the cop says to me. "is that yours?" while the guy in cuffs is saying, " i am a mechanic those are my tools!" I say to the cop, "hell yes those are mine officer." the Cop gives me a little nod and says "take them out and we are towing the car becuae the insurance comapny owns it." the next day i took the tools and got 1700 for them at a pawn shop!!! i swear that is a true story.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brett, i hear what youre saying... and i agree with the fellow new jerseyian attitude... but with the alarm systems now adays they arent just about keeping someone from getting the car, but about notifying you when someone has broken into the car so you have a chance to catch and kill them. top end alarms have a little led display that shows when your car is running, broken into, kill switch ignitiated, etc.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:35 AM

2004 e320
yeah, you are 100% right about that. my attitude is not really as current as technology. in fact i ignored security for so long that the first time i evend heard of the pager alarm was on this board. i like that idea very much in fact!!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

its definitely a good product and worth looking into.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up *karma*

Originally Posted by brett
actually, my insurance company only pays after 30 days so i had to wait it out. ironically, a week after they sent me a check for the car the police called me at home and said they needed me to ID a car registered in my name etc. well the dude who stole it was driving the car at the time and they had him in cuffs. i said that the car was certainly mine etc, and he was the guy who stole it. better yet, when they opened the trunk of the car there was a tool set worth about 2500 in there. i have never seen the thing in my life. the cop says to me. "is that yours?" while the guy in cuffs is saying, " i am a mechanic those are my tools!" I say to the cop, "hell yes those are mine officer." the Cop gives me a little nod and says "take them out and we are towing the car becuae the insurance comapny owns it." the next day i took the tools and got 1700 for them at a pawn shop!!! i swear that is a true story.
WOW thats the best thing ive heard all day! so you actually got to see him again? man i would have had a hard time not slugging him. guess w/ cops around that might be not a great idea, but that ****er thief got what was coming to him...lmao. great story brett
https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif