C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Problems with 96 C220 key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C220
Question Problems with 96 C220 key

There have been several problems with this car since my dad puchased it approx. 2 years ago. The most irritating ones are the remote and the fuel level sensor. I think I'll get a repair manual before i tackle some of the more difficult ones but the key is something I would like to get information on. The unlock button on the flip key stopped working a few monthes ago and since then i tried replacing the batteries but this diddn't help. Now the litle led lights up when i press it for a few seconds but it still does not unlock. I read on this site that one method for resetting it was to turn the key to pos ii and hold the button for several seconds. This didn't work either. I also read that some people have disconnected their battery and after reconnecting it the key works. I am a little leery of doing this as I am unsure of any other effects this may have. I also read several weeks ago that some owners have had to get their keys reprogrammed at the dealer. Could someone please inform me if this is the case, or if there are any other methods i should try. Also the drivers side door lock cannot be unlocked via the key, so at the moment the whole car can only be unlocked using the trunk. I would greatly appreciate any information reguarding theese problems.

Thanks, Matt.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
your key needs to be sync'ed.

very easy....

hold down the button....

while holding, insert into key hole in front door....

keep holding, and turn the key all the way left, and then all the way right...

remove key...

hop into car...start car...WHILE HOLDING BUTTON!

and now youre done.... it works.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:19 PM

1996 C220
Geeze, that not actually too complicated, wish it worked though . As in my first post the front door lock doesn't unlock the car, it feels like when i turn the key in the lock its already unlocked as if there is no resistance. I'm no mercedes expert so I'm not sure if that actually has to do with anything, but I would like to know if this could be an easy fix as well. In any case thanks for your help and suggestions, let me know if there's anything else I should try.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by ahopeter
your key needs to be sync'ed.

very easy....

hold down the button....

while holding, insert into key hole in front door....

keep holding, and turn the key all the way left, and then all the way right...

remove key...

hop into car...start car...WHILE HOLDING BUTTON!

and now youre done.... it works.
I believe on a 96 you aim the key at the infrared receiver; press the button; within 30 seconds insert the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2.

This is what the 1996 C36 owner's manual says.

They change this many times so the user should consult the manual for his particular car.

-s-
Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally posted by scorchie
I believe on a 96 you aim the key at the infrared receiver; press the button; within 30 seconds insert the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2.

This is what the 1996 C36 owner's manual says.

They change this many times so the user should consult the manual for his particular car.

-s-
i gave him the instructions that the dealer gave me for my 97 c36...guess youre right... maybe his 220 is different.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 PM

1996 C220
Well the manual may be lost, is that something I would need to see the dealer for? Also, can anyone recomend the best place to buy the service manual and possibly the owner's manual? Thanks for your responses.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by ecks
Well the manual may be lost, is that something I would need to see the dealer for? Also, can anyone recomend the best place to buy the service manual and possibly the owner's manual? Thanks for your responses.
Replacement manuals can be obtained usually directly from Mercedes-Benz NA documentation department. Go to mbusa.com and get their toll free number and give them a call.

I highly recommend you get this because you may learn a lot of important things about your car that you would otherwise miss (and possibly end up asking here).

-s-