C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1997 C180

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004 | 06:13 AM

W202 1997 C180
Question 1997 C180

Hello,

Well I recently purchased a 1997 C180 and am very happy with it apart from a few small things.

The warning triangle is broken so I am looking to buy a new one but have not seen one anywhere apart from cheap looking imitations.

The cigarette lighter does not work, I took a phone charger in to the car and tested the socket out and it was charging a phone but the cigarette lighter itself does not heat up even after waiting 10 minutes.

There is no first aid kit in the holder, I have seen a few for sale on ebay but they look used and I have no idea what the one for the 1997 C180 is supposed to look like.

And unfortunately it has no cd stacker. When I am listening to the radio and I alter the volume, there is a scratching sound that comes out of the speakers. I would be interested in getting something like the alpine CDA-9815 or similar and I would need a CD stacker as well which I would prefer to be alpine. What would you recommend?

There are no mats in the back of the car, only in the front.

In the center there is just a small little space to put a mobile phone and a wallet without an arm rest. I was wondering if I could get the arm rest with the fold up console for the middle with out having to remove the whole center piece.

There is also a button which some one has put there them selves and cut out the trim which is next to the electric mirror adjusters, when I press on it either way it does not do anything. How would I work out what it does? It seems jammed.

It doesn't look like the car has any of the options installed, so I was wondering if there is some options I can buy that would be reasonable enough for me to install myself, i.e. I have seen the cassette holder which looks pretty easy to install.

So does anyone have any idea where I could buy the original warning triangle, a new cigarette lighter, first aid kit and rear mats?

In the manual it says "17. Leuchten - Valeo" What kind of lights are these?

And what other modifications would you recommend for a stock standard 1997 C180? Very interested in your recommendations.

Regards,
- DRM.
Old 06-09-2004 | 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
hey there!

the triangle warning light, is that in the middle of the cluster? If so, it's just a burnt out bulb most likely. What you need to do is pull out the cluster and take out the bulb and change it. Simple as that.

Rear mats, you can check on ebay as they sometimes have MB OEM mats for sale. If not, check your local MB parts dept.

The cigarette adapter, 99% a blown fuse. Look under the hood for the fuse block. open it up and look at the diagram posted on the cover and find the fuse to it. Change it out and it should be working fine.

First aid kit...try your MB parts dept. If not, you can always get one yourself at a pharmacy or something...they sell first aid kits, but not MB ones :p

Instead of the cassette holder, you could get a coin tray which goes in place of the cassette holder. It's good for holding your cell phone, glasses, etc...that's what i use mine for. You can order that from your MB parts dept also. I'm not sure of the part number, but do a search on the forum for "coin tray" under w202.

I hope this helps you, welcome to the board
Old 06-09-2004 | 08:33 AM

W202 1997 C180
Originally posted by GDawgC220
hey there!

the triangle warning light, is that in the middle of the cluster? If so, it's just a burnt out bulb most likely. What you need to do is pull out the cluster and take out the bulb and change it. Simple as that.

Rear mats, you can check on ebay as they sometimes have MB OEM mats for sale. If not, check your local MB parts dept.

The cigarette adapter, 99% a blown fuse. Look under the hood for the fuse block. open it up and look at the diagram posted on the cover and find the fuse to it. Change it out and it should be working fine.

First aid kit...try your MB parts dept. If not, you can always get one yourself at a pharmacy or something...they sell first aid kits, but not MB ones :p

Instead of the cassette holder, you could get a coin tray which goes in place of the cassette holder. It's good for holding your cell phone, glasses, etc...that's what i use mine for. You can order that from your MB parts dept also. I'm not sure of the part number, but do a search on the forum for "coin tray" under w202.

I hope this helps you, welcome to the board
Thanks GDawg,

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about the warning triangle in the boot that clips to the top.

And also with the cigarette lighter, if it was a blown fuse why would my phone charger be working but not the cigarette lighter itself?

- DRM.
Old 06-09-2004 | 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by DOCTORM
Thanks GDawg,

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about the warning triangle in the boot that clips to the top.

And also with the cigarette lighter, if it was a blown fuse why would my phone charger be working but not the cigarette lighter itself?

- DRM.
ohh...i'm guessing your parts dept will have that too :p if not, try doing a search on the internet. I didn't realize it was that as in the states, that doesn't come with the cars.

strange that the phone charger would be working and the lighter itself wouldn't...possibly the lighter part itself broken?