C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Handbrake problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 W202
Handbrake problem

Hi all, I'm currently working on getting a 1994 w202 back in shape.
When test driving the car after replacing the rear hub carrier bushings I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear.
After a little investigating I found the following:
-With the tiers in the air and spinning them you can hear a "spring noise" fromt time to time rotating the wheels.

After removing the rear disc and threading in a wheel bolt you can clearly see it hitting the springs when inserted, I have never before had this as a problem on any car.
I have checked and tripple checked the installation of the brake shoes and the springs and I just cant understand why this is an issue.
Another thing I noticed when looking into the parking brake hardware is the expander is a little grinded down, possible after the tips of the bolts hitting it.

Does any one have a little pice of advice which can help me solve this problem?
Have attached some photos of the assembly.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
every Mercedes that gets parked in my bay
You sure those springs are in all the way? And u gota remember the rotor and wheel take away from how far those lugs sit in the hub...the seat is never threaded that far down. Finally are those the lugs original to the car?