C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Looking for Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Looking for Recommendations

I'm a real noob when it comes to this forum not to mention having a Mercedes. My grandson just gave me his 1998 C230 (dealer wouldn't give him squat on trade). It has some issues and I am thinking of restoring it. My first problem is a fluid leak. He just replaced the thermostat and the next day there is an apparent water pump issue (leak). Will one fix create another issue? Anyway one of my concerns also is body rust. There is a lot of surface rust along the top of the side body trim mouldings on both sides. Is there a special tool to remove them? I tried to do it with a screwdriver with no luck but I don't want to damage the body any further. I'm sure there will be more issues but a little advice on how to proceed will be great. Thanks in advance to any that answer. An afterthought ... it has 145K miles on it, do you think it is worth putting time and money into it?

Peace
Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Welcome geno4952,
Hard to say if the thermostat swap created the wp leak. Assuming the thermostat issue is resolved, you need to find the location of the wp leak - on the wp seals or elsewhere?

Rust is cancer. There is no any amount of sanding down to remove-the-rust is going to help you get rid of it. Like all rust, you can "slow it down", however it will come back. Only resolution is to "cut it out" and replace that section.
Body trim mouldings need to be completely removed for you to deal with the rust. Im guessing to it (the rust) is also behind the door panel skin (ie. you'll need to address it from the inside also (meaning you'll need to remove the inner door panels to access the back-side of the panel. It's alot of work - do a search on all the forums here and the others with "rust repair" and you'll find plenty of member thread discussions and DIYs addressing how-to on rust removal.
Optionally, depending on how bad the rust is, one can replace the damaged doors from a pickn pull - may be cheaper option.

Is it worth it? That's a personal call depending on your attachment to the w202 - ( emotion vs. economics)
GL
The following users liked this post:
geno4952 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Thanks for the reply khomer2... I'll get to checking the leak as soon as we get some decent temps here in Western NY. As for the rust situation cut and replace is not an option and neither is replacement of all 4 doors. I was thinking more along the lines of a product like POR-15 that is supposed to stop rust by sealing it off from any oxygen. We'll work on that issue when it warms up as well. I have no real attachment to the car as it was a gift from my grandson who said " It's yours now.. fix it, drive it like it is or sell it I just want it out of my driveway". So I guess we will see. I will search for the rust repair threads and see if anyone has used a rust preventative product and what the results were. Thanks again for your response.

Peace
Old 03-05-2019, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by geno4952
Thanks for the reply khomer2... I'll get to checking the leak as soon as we get some decent temps here in Western NY. As for the rust situation cut and replace is not an option and neither is replacement of all 4 doors. I was thinking more along the lines of a product like POR-15 that is supposed to stop rust by sealing it off from any oxygen. We'll work on that issue when it warms up as well. I have no real attachment to the car as it was a gift from my grandson who said " It's yours now.. fix it, drive it like it is or sell it I just want it out of my driveway". So I guess we will see. I will search for the rust repair threads and see if anyone has used a rust preventative product and what the results were. Thanks again for your response.

Peace
Thanks for sharing your update with us.

Ive used a product called 'rust check rust converter' for small rust spots - works incredibly well (for my situations) (however, nothing of the large areas as you describe.)

Best thing to do in your situation and economics, imo, is to DIY sand down the rusted areas to bare metal, and follow protocol to treat the area with POR-15 or similar, good primer coat and then the correct MB paint match touch up aerosol spray. Let it cure correctly before even attempting to make it purdy and shiny with the plethora of finishing product choices.
There is plenty of accessible uyube vids on the DIY rust removal and sanding etc you can review during your cold snap in NY. Plenty of reading viewing material.