C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

2000 W202 C class for £899 - worth it or avoid at all cossts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 CDI 2011
2000 W202 C class for £899 - worth it or avoid at all cossts?

hello everyone,

I've come in search of advice - due to a recent change of circumstances I'm looking for a new, cheaper car that won't let me down. I'm quite interested in a y2000 C class c180. It's an auto, 3 owners from new, 94,000 miles (seemingly accurate from MOT history). It seems like a decent buy, provided cars of its class aren't money pits. I'm somewhat experienced in buying used cars and know what to look for, in general. E.G, I won't buy it unless there's at least some recent service history, it isn't dripping oil, if it drives awfully, it's rusting badly etc. In case this needed saying, this is in the UK.

What I want to ask is: is it worth it, or am I going to be constantly throwing money at it? What are some common issues / telltale signs that this model of car is a lemon if I were to go and view it? What common maintenance does it need to have had / will need soon if I buy it? I don't want to spend much money on it but I am going to at least change the oil and filters, that sort of thing, so don't worry.

What I don't need to be told is: it steers like a boat / it's a slow auto / if you spent just x amount more you could have y / you should go for the kompressor etc. I know it's an older car, I know what I'm getting myself into. I just need people to weigh in on their experiences of this age of a C class, as that's what I have the money for

thanks very much if you can help! I'd love to own an old Merc, but if it isn't sensible, I'll buy a hatchback
Old 11-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 C280
have C280, same year. bought it last year with 40K miles, have read various forums, check vacuum system, trunk, front area, make sure air blows from all vents, especially front, typical problem with actuator failing. Ive not had any major issue, easy to do basic maint (hoses, oil change etc) check air con, heat if blowing cold/hot from all vents, if electric seats, check them, as well as sunroof. good luck
Old 11-30-2020, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 c180
Thumbs up C 180 W202

Hi. I am driving a 1999 c180 for 6 years now. and it starts first time every time, a good reliable car. You will have to replace a few parts, now and again, the same as any car that's 20 years old, the good news is that this is a car you can work your self, and there plenty of " how-to" Vids on the net to help you to work this car. Good Luck. Yours Dock Dublin.