C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Replacing Flywheel with different Brands from Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W202 Elegance 97
Unhappy Replacing Flywheel with different Brands from Clutch

Hello!

I'm a new C180 Elegance 97' (W202) owner, and just after a month or so after the purchase, the clutch started slipping, i shrugged it off as it is a unavoidable "fix" to do, so i had it replaced.
All the local autoparts tried to sell the DMF with the clutch kit, but it was more than half of the value of the car, and after seeing the State of the DMF which was fairlyt firm and sturdy (for me at least), i opted to just do the clutch, PP etc.
The first 2 weeks, was all and good, but today after catching some heavy traffic jams (For now, i usually drive more on highways) the clutch started slipping again... Early in the morning everything seemed fine.
After some research, everything leads to a bad flywheel.

My question is, i installed a SACHS Clutch kit, Putting in a VALEO or LUK Flywheel will cause any harm?

I doubt that this "problem" can be fixed without replacing the Flywheel, but any info would be appreciated.

I'm on europe so AutoDoc is my savior ATM.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Bicycle, 2004 c200k
Try and save some money and get a correct diagnosis... what if a new DMF doesn't fix it? There are a few things in the chain that can be broke/defective. Or have you had a diagnosis ? the DMF is 100% the problem?

My example that you should learn from is my opel zafira's clutch went.. ok, new clutch + slave cylinder - fixed it for 2 months. Then suddenly its slipping again... weird. My master cylinder was 'defective' - clutch fluid was dirty (broken seals in master) - and it was leaking slightly (the clutch shares the same reservoir as the brake fluid so it was hard to notice the level drop) so my new clutch was never fully engaged.. it was always slightly slipping.. for 2 months... it gave up. so i needed a new clutch again AND to fix the original problem ! Ready for the scrap man to take it away lol

*didnt notice the date... i wonder what happened

Last edited by DjaKRAbb; 12-08-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W202 Elegance 97
Sorry for the awfully late reply.

But yea, i'm looking for another shop to check the problem to have a second opinion about it. and i didn't know that the cluch cylinders shared the same reservoir as the brake, thanks for the info, and sorry about the zafira, was it Diesel?

With covid situation, labor hours ain't cheap, so i'm thinkig about parking it for now until next month or smth to not make it worse or prematurely kill the recently installed clutch kit..

But i still want to know if using a flywheel from a different brand as the clutch would do any harm...
Old 12-14-2020, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Bicycle, 2004 c200k
Thanks for the update. Sorry, i should have said, the reservoir is combined on the zafira b, but i dont know about your specific car (terrible idea).
The zafira was a benzine/petrol (i was using it like a diesel though , which is why i killed it)

Do you think it was a coincidence that the clutch failed a month after purchase? There is a chance that someone has 'tried' to fix this issue and failed. You can never be sure,, clutch fluid levels dropping?.. there are methods to diagnose the master clutch cylinder that i dont know. Have you noticed a change in the pedal feel? bite point? pro's can pressure test the system to find any leaks.? a rear main seal leak can cause slipping too. If i could go back in time, i would pay money for a diagnosis before spending any money on parts. I would not want anyone to go through the same experience

I dont know about compatibility, maybe post the dmf / slave and then more chance of an answer from someone.