C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

98 c230 cranks to death but never comes to life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C320 wagon, 2000 E320 4matic wagon
98 c230 cranks to death but never comes to life

Ok so if you read my last thread you would have read how I bought another C2 30 because the one I was having problems with wasn’t working. So the second C230 I bought from a guy about 2 1/2 hours away so I had to have the car shipped to me because I had no way to get over there. When it arrived and they started it to get it off the trailer I can instantly tell the exhaust was gone when I looked underneath it it was just a chunk of the exhaust where the cats were. Well anyway the next day I bought some metal pipe from Advance Auto and I clamped it down over the two openings on the exhaust system and the car seem to be doing OK I even drove it from corpus to Aston then all around us in Pflugerville round rock San Marcus Bastrop Lockhart and then all the way back to corpus where I died on me at intersection not far from my brothers house. Prior to it dying on me and that intersection the intersection before I got to the one that we’re down the intersection before when the light turned green I hit the gas and the car didn’t move it was just puttering in sputtering and then it finally caught and took off until the next intersection where It died. I posted a half a mile to my brothers house where it still sits today.

this is what I’ve done to it so far and why
1). Checked and replace the fuel pump fuel filter and the fuel line between the two to make sure they were all working AND because there was no fuel coming to the rail——-CRANK NO START
2). After that still not getting fuel to the rail I thought maybe that the fuel lines from the gas tank to the injectors was clogged so I blew it out WITH compressed air and then reconnect to the car and try to start—-CRANK NO START
3). Still not getting fuel to the rail I thought was the only other possibility means that the gas tank is plugged from the tank to the first hose coming out of the tank so I used a compressed air and blew air back into the tank to see if I could dislodge it and feel started coming out. Fuel started coming to rail ——CRANK NO START
4). Doing research online lead me to replacing a crank shaft position sensor Plus the P0335 crankshaft position sensor code came up on the scanner. after deleting the code and turning the key off for 10 seconds in the back on the code did not return and ever since then I have had no codes show up whatsoever——CRANK NO START
5). Cleaned up the cam sensor and MAF and replaced a majority of the vacuum lines——CRANK NO START
6. Checked power coil packs because now it’s not sparking and determined power is getting to the coils but no spark so I replaced the two coil pack along with the two boots for the other two sparkplugs—————CRANK NO START
7). Changed all 4 spark plugs with platinum ones because the ones in the engine were fouled——-CRANK NO START
8). Replaced battery because old battery was just old——-CRANK NO START
9). Inspected OVP relay and decided to replace it because of two broken soldier points——CRANK NO START
10). Replaced K40 relay and other module under the front fuse box——CRANK NO START

so if anyone can help me get this car going I’d appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C320 wagon, 2000 E320 4matic wagon
Wow

It’s been how many days and not a single person offers help. Ridiculous. So much for coming together to help one another.

Even though no one wants to help, especially during Christmas time, I’ll still post what has happened as it happens and maybe someone who actually knows about Mercedes will find it in their heart to help a fellow struggling human being get their car back to some sort of running condition.

Well, ive got it to run and drive but it drives horrible. I have to pretend it’s a manual transmission when I come to a stop light or sign and throw it into neutral while breaking them pump the gas to keep the rpms up so the car won’t die. It dies constantly and that makes for a dangerous situation. It’s still very loud (exhaust sound) coming from under the psssenger side of the car. I’m removing the exhaust today to look at it and put new exhaust gaskets where need be.

i need this car to work. I know none of y’all actually care about what happens to someone else, proof is the responses to my posts, but even though you don’t care about what happens to me, give a **** about the integrity of this website and chime in on what I could do to fix it.