C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

What's the Purpose of this Thing?

Old 09-06-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ahopeter
someone who lacks experience in performance tuning.
I'm not sure where that comes from. I have many many years of experience in performance tuning of many types of automobiles, including my own now sold 190E 2.3-16V, C36AMG and 911 Turbo.

Simply increasing the amount of intake air available will not provide large gains, simply due to the physics of the engine. The M111 and M104 are not "strangled" on the intake side. For real (more than a few HP) gains, you need to open the head and the exhaust up, or compress the intake charge.

For someone using the stock air-filter housing, I can't see how simply removing the grille insert would help, as you still have the bottle neck at the housing. As to "performance" air intakes, the HP is small (perhaps 3-4, often less) and the real danger for reliability is the destruction of the Air Mass Meter.

My experience with Porsche models is that a gain of 2-4hp is possible with a simple filter and intake mod, but more is unrealistic. Even on non-modifed V-8's in Mustangs and Camaros, typical gains are less than 10hp, which on a 300hp+ engine, is small.

With AMG cars, they breathe through a standard air filter housing, and people try to eak every last pony possible. On a C36 or C43, real gains are only possible with the addition of a supercharger, which is very cost effective compared to head work, intake, exhaust, cams, etc.

Perhaps some industrious person would care to dyno their car in a before/after of removing the grille insert?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
small gains is what we are talking about... no one is expecting to get enormous gains from a simple intake upgrade. 3 to 4 horsepower gains from changing the piping, induction proportions, and amount of actual air flow is significant. you are talking about something completely different.

with the proper bend angle, and proper diameter to the piping used, and the right amount of lubrication on the filter itself there will be NO damage to the mas... simple as that.

you keep talking about larger upgrades, but in this instant the people asking are not inquiring about blowers, polishing, porting... they are asking about real life small upgardes for some slight beneficial gains in hp, fuel efficiency, and induction noise... and for their purposes and inquiries it isnt necessary to speak about big money changes.

your overall speak of larger upgrades, dismissal of improvements, and talk of potential failures is what drives me to say you are not knowledgeable. its simple, if someone asks about intakes, then you say "intakes are pointless, they suck, they wont help, get a supercharger"... thats ridiculous. you have obviously no basis for what you say... you just dont know.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ive put these methods into use on my own cars... and not 190's... AMG's and others. ive done it on my w202's and have seen the improvement.

actually, i sold my c36 and c43 to forum members and i am sure they can verify the improvements... if they are around.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:10 PM

small gains is what we are talking about... no one is expecting to get enormous gains from a simple intake upgrade. 3 to 4 horsepower gains from changing the piping, induction proportions, and amount of actual air flow is significant.
You know, I'm not sure who pissed in your corn flakes, and it seems they **** in them every morning. No one can feel 3hp, and it would not result in an gain in any kind of condition, street or track. I didn't run you down, or jump on your *** like some *** in heat, as you do. I added to the discussion by pointing out that simply removing the device in question would be of little or no benefit. For ****'s sake, grow up.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no, what you did was take a discussion about an intake upgrade and made it into your personal showing of how little you know. then you went and became a big man by talking about doing supercharger upgrades when we are talking about a simple intake. but its okay, cause you obviously just don't know what you are talking about... but good try.

with your logic, why do the big tuners, and anyone else who knows anything about tuning do intake upgrades? i'm sure guys like Brabus, Renntech, Carlsson are simply jokes and you know best. thanks oh wise one.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
no, what you did was take a discussion about an intake upgrade and made it into your personal showing of how little you know. then you went and became a big man by talking about doing supercharger upgrades when we are talking about a simple intake. but its okay, cause you obviously just don't know what you are talking about... but good try.

with your logic, why do the big tuners, and anyone else who knows anything about tuning do intake upgrades? i'm sure guys like Brabus, Renntech, Carlsson are simply jokes and you know best. thanks oh wise one.
Hahaha
Ah, nah, hell no, man, ya'll gone up and done it Blackmercedes. You got aho fired up- trust me, he's given me good advice numerous times. The man knows his stuff. Oh and BTW, I'm pretty sure he doesn't eat cornflakes. It's probably something with more sugar, like Frosted Flakes. They'rrrrrrre Great!

Aho, I'll be getting my Remus catback and high flow cat pretty soon, I'll let you know how that in combination with the intake mod works. For now, I feel like ashkan... all talk, no mods.
-sholly
Old 09-06-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShollyC220
For now, I feel like ashkan... all talk, no mods.
-sholly
woah was that necessary?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hahaha
Ah, nah, hell no, man, ya'll gone up and done it Blackmercedes. You got aho fired up- trust me, he's given me good advice numerous times. The man knows his stuff. Oh and BTW, I'm pretty sure he doesn't eat cornflakes. It's probably something with more sugar, like Frosted Flakes. They'rrrrrrre Great!

Aho, I'll be getting my Remus catback and high flow cat pretty soon, I'll let you know how that in combination with the intake mod works. For now, I feel like ashkan... all talk, no mods.
-sholly
*DING DING DING* it is frosted flakes... and you and tony are right... they'rrrrrrrree ggggrrreeaaaattt!!!! oh! you decided to get the cat too?! nice! thats gonna beef up the sound considerably...good job. while you are at it, consider removing the resonator, itll beef up the sound even more, and make your exhaust system flow more freely.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricerokets4life
woah was that necessary?
Sholly only speaks the truth.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM

c43
Hahaha
For now, I feel like ashkan... all talk, no mods.
-sholly
thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 AM

c43
i still stand by I hate all of you and i remeber someone saying before that even though other comps make springs and such for brabus the ones they make with the brabus name is better than the one they make for their own, if i'm wrong let me know
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 AM

c43
Ashkan, just to let you know... the brabus springs probably cost about 400 new.

and be careful with rpm rev... not known as a honest vendor... just giving you a heads up. plus, sounds like he doesnt know what hes really talking about.

his comparison of amg and brabus is somewhat correct... but i believe that the performance of brabus far exceeds that of AMG. and before someone jumps down my throat, i am speaking from experience... i have and do own AMG's and full Brabus conversions.

dont bother who oem stuff from mb like screws... its all overpriced b.s.
yeah I thought brabus was better too, but he seemed so dead sure AMG was for better performance and brabus was for price and class and less performance than AMG he had me going, and he said he could get me a set of brabus springs from germany 350 shipped sounded good to me and I was ready to buy then until I found a site that sold AMG springs for my car(which he said was not made) i gave him the link and he said something like they were custom or something, and I can understand if he was not aware of them or whatever, and do they have brabus shocks aho? bels seem to be the way to go but if they have AMG should i go with them?, and how many cars or what cars do you have? Just wondering since you know so much about cars I was curious to know how many you have worked on and owned, thanks for the help...
Old 09-07-2004, 07:43 PM

C220
joke?

woah was that necessary?
a simple jest my dear fried rice rocker. I respect everyone on this forum. I was simply referring to an earlier post in which aho and I poked a little fun at Kan for talking about his ridiculously long list of mods. Please don't get angry and **** in my cereal. I don't know if count chocula could turn **** chocolate like it does to milk...

Aho, i forgot about the resonator. Consider it gone as soon as I get the new exhaust system. In PA cars before '95 only need a "visual" admissions inspection. This means if the tech sees a cat, it passes. :v heh heh heh

-sholly
Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a simple jest my dear fried rice rocker. I respect everyone on this forum. I was simply referring to an earlier post in which aho and I poked a little fun at Kan for talking about his ridiculously long list of mods. Please don't get angry and **** in my cereal. I don't know if count chocula could turn **** chocolate like it does to milk...

Aho, i forgot about the resonator. Consider it gone as soon as I get the new exhaust system. In PA cars before '95 only need a "visual" admissions inspection. This means if the tech sees a cat, it passes. :v heh heh heh

-sholly
BWAHAHA

i think you are going to be really pleasantly surprised at how your car sounds after all those new components. im excited for you.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ashkan, love you to buddy. anyway, i recommend using koni's if you really want to replace the shocks. honestly, it isnt really necessary... if just for the sake of lowering. if cause the old is in need of replacement that is a different story.

i told you rev sucks.

my cars... i have a few... mostly benzes... one nissan, one infiniti, and two porsches.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:07 AM

-sholly

please, dont direct a "jest" towards me.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

please, dont direct a "jest" towards me.
nothing wrong with making a little jest.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:51 PM

c43
you know i love you too aho... thanks for the heads up on the rev guy so I think i'll go with brabus but it would be sweet if someone could make an c280 AMG that would be tight to see in the w140's I think someone was making an s32amg seemed pretty badass but he was spending loads of cash, I agree with brabus being better than AMG when they do newer cars, but on the w202???? i'm not to sure AMG seems really good, and I don't really know much about brabus with respect to their w202 addons, what you think, oh and well i see better handleing with new shocks and springs, I mean i know i will, but will it be major, ie damn this handles well
Old 09-08-2004, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it will be major.