C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

full throttle fans, starter motor not kicking in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c220 w202 1997 2.2 d
full throttle fans, starter motor not kicking in

Hello everyone.

My uncle has donated me this c220 from 1997. While he was driving it, the car stopped, it somehow lost it's water (coolant) and now it doesn't crank.

I checked the fuse and relay boxes, replaced some fuses, and here is the thing;
When trying to ignite the car doesn't start, the voltage doesn't get to the solenoid when igniting (even thought the solenoid has it's 12v present). When the key is in position 2, the radiator fans start to go on full speed mode. Seems that all the current goes to the radiator fans, but not to the solenoid "signal" cable.

Strange thing is that the starter relay (the one big black relay in the k40 fuse box) clicks, and is what makes the fan go in full throttle.

I'm thinking that the coolant temperature sensor is gone, as the car doesn't even hold coolant (the water pump is broken 100%).

What should I do now?
Old 08-24-2021, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c220 w202 1997 2.2 d
So far no luck, I've tried and noticed the following:

Disconnected the radiator fans, the car still does the same but without fans sound.

Haven't changed the k40 module even though has some corrosion. The starter relay clicks when I turn the key to position 2 (i have positions 1, 2, and ignition), when I'm in position 2, the car starts the fans. the k40 relay (the only relay there is) has four terminals, the two terminals that "start" the relay are some small pins(and they must have voltage to start, so I guess they're working), the other two are 12v (red positive from the battery) and the solenoid ignition, which doesn't get any voltage.

The solenoid purple cable (which is connected to the ignition port) has no voltage when turning the key to ignition. And it has continuity with negative always, even when igniting.

When igniting for the first time, the car fans go off until you release the ignition.

It seems that something is making the 12v and huge currents go to the fans instead of the solenoid ignition.