C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

DYI QUESTIONS RE: REPLACEMENT OF CONDESER, RECEIVER/DRYER, EXPANSION VALVE & MORE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Question DYI QUESTIONS RE: REPLACEMENT OF CONDESER, RECEIVER/DRYER, EXPANSION VALVE & MORE

DYI QUESTIONS RE: REPLACEMENT OF CONDESER, RECEIVER/DRYER, EXPANSION VALVE & MORE

Greetings all,

Let me preface this post by saying that I tried scouring two MB forums for answers to these questions but wasn’t successful in finding all I wanted/needed to know - so my apologies in advance if these questions have been raised and answered elsewhere in this forum.

My a/c stopped working at the beginning of this summer season. My mechanic diagnosed the problem as a bad condenser. The price to repair was going to be around $1,100 so I decided to tackle the job myself.

The system is currently empty. I have already purchased: a) a new Nissens condenser, b) a new receiver/dryer and c) an a/c recharge kit with gauges, hoses, 4cfm p/m vacuum pump, scale and tap for refrigerant can.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it or is it not a good idea to change the expansion valve while I’m at it and is this a difficult proposition?

2. PAG vs. Esther oil: Which is better? What viscosity should I use? How much should I mix in with the refrigerant given that the system is empty?

3. Anyone know how much refrigerant this takes? I’m sure it’s somewhere on a sticker but I thought I’d ask here while I’m in question mode.

4. Any advice regarding R134a refrigerant (i.e. brand, with or without stop leak and or dye, etc.)?

5. What are the ideal pressures (low/high)?

Please feel free to add any additional noteworthy comments or ideas that I may have overlooked

My thanks in advance for the help.

Mark