C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

XM Radio install question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio install question...

Has anyone installed a XM radio Roady2 or Skyfi receiver? If so how was it done and do you have any pics of the install?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:16 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by BenzMan1
Has anyone installed a XM radio Roady2 or Skyfi receiver? If so how was it done and do you have any pics of the install?
Installed a Roady2 in my '03 w203. Just took the ashtray insert out and set the Roady2 in the ashtray compartment. Antenna is on the dash in the corner on the driver's side and power plugs into the lighter. I don't know what the w202 ashtray is like. The lighter on the 203 is in the console under a tambour-like door with the cupholders. Most of the newer MB's I sat in at the dealer last week have a different setup with the lighter in the compartment with the ashtray. Takes up half the ashtray compartment. I'm glad I have my ashtray setup but I do hate the cupholders.

Sorry, no pics. No digital camera at the moment.

Hope this helps.

GGM
Old 10-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by GGM
Installed a Roady2 in my '03 w203. Just took the ashtray insert out and set the Roady2 in the ashtray compartment. Antenna is on the dash in the corner on the driver's side and power plugs into the lighter. I don't know what the w202 ashtray is like. The lighter on the 203 is in the console under a tambour-like door with the cupholders. Most of the newer MB's I sat in at the dealer last week have a different setup with the lighter in the compartment with the ashtray. Takes up half the ashtray compartment. I'm glad I have my ashtray setup but I do hate the cupholders.

Sorry, no pics. No digital camera at the moment.

Hope this helps.

GGM
My lighter is in the ashtray bay. THanks for the info...
Old 10-16-2004, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
I'll try and take pics for you. I have the Roady 1 . What I did is I stuck the unit in the cubby holy below the stereo. I drilled a hole in the back and ran all my wires there. (power, antenna and output). I ran the antenna wire through the console, underneath the steering wheel area and have the antenna sitting int he very corner on the bottom left of the windshield. The reception is perfect there.

For power, I used a radio shack cigarette lighter female adapter. The Roady run at...whatever voltage that the cig lighter does, so you can't just tap it in a regular 12 volt wire. So basically, you plug in the cigarette lighter in the extre cigarrette lighter adapter, which in turn is tapped into the wires of the mercedes cig lighter.

Then I ran the ouput cable into the input of my Alpine head unit, and voila! XM
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Doctor
I'll try and take pics for you. I have the Roady 1 . What I did is I stuck the unit in the cubby holy below the stereo. I drilled a hole in the back and ran all my wires there. (power, antenna and output). I ran the antenna wire through the console, underneath the steering wheel area and have the antenna sitting int he very corner on the bottom left of the windshield. The reception is perfect there.

For power, I used a radio shack cigarette lighter female adapter. The Roady run at...whatever voltage that the cig lighter does, so you can't just tap it in a regular 12 volt wire. So basically, you plug in the cigarette lighter in the extre cigarrette lighter adapter, which in turn is tapped into the wires of the mercedes cig lighter.

Then I ran the ouput cable into the input of my Alpine head unit, and voila! XM
Pics would be greatly appreciated...I have the stock MB radio that came in the 1999 C230k. I'm not sure if it has input receptors or not. How much are the tools to remove the radio?