C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C250 Turbodiesel - Automatic Transmission - Engine revving for no reason

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 Turbodiesel
Question C250 Turbodiesel - Automatic Transmission - Engine revving for no reason

Hello there!

I recently purchased a 1995 C250 Turbodiesel. Lately, I've noticed an issue where the engine revs when shifting gears at low speeds, as demonstrated in video1.mov. In an attempt to resolve this, I changed the transmission fluid, but the problem persisted.

The mechanics who performed the oil change suggested that both the torque and the automatic transmission were damaged. However, after consulting with a friend who has extensive experience with Mercedes transmissions, we conducted a test on a steep incline. We came to a full stop, shifted to Neutral, then back to Drive, and released the brake. Surprisingly, the car held itself in place, indicating that the torque might not be the culprit, as the vehicle didn't slump down.

Interestingly, the ABS and ETS lights have been intermittently on and off since I acquired the vehicle, with the lights mostly staying on recently. The experienced mechanic suggested that these automatic transmissions work in conjunction with the ABS, and if the ABS is malfunctioning, it may send incorrect information to the transmission, possibly causing the unexpected revving issue.

Previously during periods when the ABS light is off, I noticed that the Cruise Control functions perfectly. However, after the recent problems surfaced, I attempted to use Cruise Control again, as shown in video2.mov. When I slightly increased the speed using the Cruise Control knob, the engine almost revved to the redline.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? I'm hopeful that the problem lies within the ABS system rather than the automatic transmission.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
video1.mov (6.16 MB, 4 views)
File Type: mov
video2.mov (2.94 MB, 4 views)