C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

95 C220 stalling when put into drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C220 stalling when put into drive

after getting the oil changed saturday, the car stalls when going from R to D. it seems to drop idle and shut off. it did it to me once sat., and twice to my wife yesterday. Is this an oil pressure issue? I had an independant (chain tire store) change it. they have been doing all my oil changes for the last ten years, and did this car the last time. I took them an OEM filter and watched the whole process. Not sure what to think. Car has 39800 original miles. was bought used last year as a star marked car.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Question

Originally Posted by scottc220
after getting the oil changed saturday, the car stalls when going from R to D. it seems to drop idle and shut off. it did it to me once sat., and twice to my wife yesterday. Is this an oil pressure issue? I had an independant (chain tire store) change it. they have been doing all my oil changes for the last ten years, and did this car the last time. I took them an OEM filter and watched the whole process. Not sure what to think. Car has 39800 original miles. was bought used last year as a star marked car.
Does it do this all the time? How does it respond when giving it gas?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:56 PM

it has done it about three to four times since the oil change on sat. once the pedal is depressed, it drives fine, if you manage to give it gas before the idle dips too low, causing it to stall.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
it has done it about three to four times since the oil change on sat. once the pedal is depressed, it drives fine, if you manage to give it gas before the idle dips too low, causing it to stall.
I'm wondering if something got knocked off (vac line or a sensor is malfunctioning).
Old 11-16-2004, 06:49 PM

I watched them take the oil pan shield off the car, and that seemed to go well, then they lowered it. It looked like he had a tad of trouble getting the filter off, and had to use the filter removal tool. It came off. He placed the new filter inside the carrier, and screwed it back on, then filled the reservoir with oil. It has stalled three times today. What would I look for under the hood? I guess I am taking it to the local dealer tomorrow to see what the diagnosis is. Hopefully something simple.

Last edited by scottc220; 11-16-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I watched them take the oil pan shield off the car, and that seemed to go well, then they lowered it. It looked like he had a tad of trouble getting the filter off, and had to use the filter removal tool. It came off. He placed the new filter inside the carrier, and screwed it back on, then filled the reservoir with oil. It has stalled three times today. What would I look for under the hood? I guess I am taking it to the local dealer tomorrow to see what the diagnosis is. Hopefully something simple.
Hmmm. Anything that might look out of place. I remember installing a cold air intake on my VW GTI and afterwards I had problems finding gears. It turned out
a hose had fallen near the linkage to the trans. Odd but true. I would have never guessed it but it happened to someone else who installed their CAI. So,
I hope it's something simple for you.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:29 PM

it was the shops fault

Well, after taking it in this morning, after I told the dealer about the oil
change incident, the tech found that the cam sensor was damaged during the removal of the filter. The bill came to $355 to fix it. I spoke with the tire store manager, as did the dealer service writer. Took em the part and the bill, and they are going to pay it, no problem. I will continue to take my other vehicle there, but not the benz. this place has proved they are honorable, although it will feel a bit awkward.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, after taking it in this morning, after I told the dealer about the oil
change incident, the tech found that the cam sensor was damaged during the removal of the filter. The bill came to $355 to fix it. I spoke with the tire store manager, as did the dealer service writer. Took em the part and the bill, and they are going to pay it, no problem. I will continue to take my other vehicle there, but not the benz. this place has proved they are honorable, although it will feel a bit awkward.
Glad it's fixed and they're picking up the bill. That's a first I've ever heard of
damaging a sensor from the work you had done. You learn something new with
cars just about every week.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:30 PM

yeah, if you look under the hood, and see the location of the filter and
the part, I can see where getting frustrated and careless could result in hitting that part with a tool. the filter is recessed, and the sensor is located just above it to the left. the tool he used looked a bit large for the space under the hood. Oh well. If I don't recieve a check in a few days, I will go back and ask him. at the same time, this part looks like it could have easily been replaced by me in about 5 minutes.