C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C36 bumpers - what are they made from?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 C36
C36 bumpers - what are they made from?

So a few months ago, my mechanic accidentally drove into the towbar of another car and punched a hole in the front bumper bar of my '95 C36.

He sent me to a well-regarded panel shop, where they have experience restoring older cars. However, they are having a lot of trouble with blistering on the repair. They had the car for six weeks and painted the bar four or five times in that time. When I eventually got it back, I only had it a week or so before it blistered again. I returned it to them and they have had it for three weeks this time and painted it at least twice, maybe three times.

The bar is some type of plastic, and it appears to be filler reacting with whatever they used to repair the hole, but I don't see why they are having so much trouble with it. If anyone with experience repairing these bars could give me some pointers I can relay to the panel shop that would be a big help.

Idk what the arrangement between the mechanic and the panel shop is covering the cost, but someone is seriously out of pocket. And I have been without the car for months.