C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

my 94 c280 cuts out when i put in drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 94 c280 cuts out when i put in drive

Ok, guys, here is the problem that I have...any suggestions would be very helpful.
First, I am new to the board, and have a 94 c280. I had the head gasket changed last week and new spark plugs put in. i was told I need new fuel pump also....well, got car back thursday, drove to work friday, and on way home, car konks out...try starting...no good. Stuck..tow to gas station, fill with 93 and it starts now...maybe fuel pump problem i think...so..get car home driving although it is going sluggish and keep pulling over to shut-off and restart. Get home, wake up sat and have my buddy look at it who works for benz...says try fuel pump, have pump replaced at local garage and still pump sounds better but car does not start correctly, have to hold gas to get to turnover, and then when i put in drive, engine cuts out. Mechanic says maybe cam timing is off? Dunno, after gasket was changed, even though it drove home fine he seems to think cam timing is off from gasket change. tried also changing MAS as they thought could be that, and still no luck. Any ideas? PLEASE!! What would make car act this way?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C-230
welcome to the board

i would take it back to the shop that fixed the head. sounds like they missed something. they should make it right if they want to keep you as a customer

if that don't work i would stick a timing light on it so i could rule that out. i would move to the wires and vacum hoses around the engine next, making sure nothing's been mispalaced or left to dangle, it is easy to get mixed up when the head is off unles you make a sketch fuel filter needs to be replaced unless it's new. was the old pump full of junk? if so what ever comes next may be too. did the car start ok before you had the head changed?