C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Rough running engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Rough running engine

OK, I was sick for two days last week: Wed, Thurs, Fri. The car didn't get driven for at least 2.5 days. I go out to start it up and the car runs like *****. Shakes like it has parkinson's disease! I shut the engine off. Let it sit for about 30 sec. and start it up again and it shakes a little (not as bad as the first time, but still pretty bad). I throw it in neutral and and set the park brake and rev the enging a couple times and it smooths out. So me and my friend take off to Best buy aboput 15 miles away. I push it to about 90 and hold it for a little while trying to blow out the injectors. The car has run beautifully since then, no problems starting it and the power is all there. I leave today aroudnd 4:30 for a 5 hour drive home. Car runs fine all the way till I hit the city limits and then it starts to run like it did last Saturday when I started it up. I push the gas to the kick down button to make sure it shifts and see if there's any noise like a grinding or clunking...nothing. But it's still shaking and running like crap and theres no power (acceleration). At this point, I'm thinking "limp mode". I pull into an EXXON station and lift the hood. No gasoline smell, no burning smell, no CEL, no apparent leaks. I start it up to finish the drive to my house and it starts up fine and runs fine to the House. What could this be? Bad gasoline, maybe? The fuel system should be fine. I've had all the regualr maintnenace and the some done to it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 280
Try changing your spark plugs or re-gaping them. Next I would try your coil packs. My C280 did this and I replaced the coil packs. Then it happened again and I replaced the plugs. Have had no trouble since then. 30,000 miles ago. Start with the plugs first.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Connect an OBD2 reader to it. Get one from your local auto parts store. They're
great to have. Sounds like a sensor issue (MAS) but could be a number of things. Get the reader. Good luck with it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by "limp mode"?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
"Limp Mode" is the mode the car goes into when it has serious problems. Read some of the threads about head gaskets blowing and it will explain it to you.

I talked to the dealer in Midland and they said that it was bad gas and told me to run a full tank of 89 octane and then return to using premium unleaded. I ran it yesterday coming home and it runs fine now. We'll see if it starts this crap again and then I'll consider the plugs, but I don't think there should be any problems with them considering the were replaced at 60K and my car has 84K on it now.