C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by smanzor88
hi im a newbie
i just want to lower my car.. but dont have the money right now to purchase some C/O's.. should i just buy some springs for now? does springs make any difference?
You get what you pay for is always true. Springs alone only lower the car, but the ride quality will not be as good as a complet set. I had Eibach springs on my 02 coupe for 4 years, then switched to TEIN SS about a month ago. Ride quality of course was improved, but hey the springs still lasted 4 years at a fraction of the cost of the TEIN! Now you want my Eibach springs?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by Blake P
It sounds like you already know the problem. You have to adjust both sides to the equal height.
Yes, I know that for sure. The one thing I don't get what if I lower my rears(L and R) at the lowest setting, I believe my rears won't have the same height. The result would be my left rear ALOT lower than my right rear since my left (already sits lower by 1/2 finger than my right rear) still has 2 turns left and my right rear is already at the lowest setting now. Is it my COs?OR it wasn't installed properly?

I hope you get my point,I tried my best to explain it

I appreciate the reply tho

Thanks Blake.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:07 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by nibo83
Yes, I know that for sure. The one thing I don't get what if I lower my rears(L and R) at the lowest setting, I believe my rears won't have the same height. The result would be my left rear ALOT lower than my right rear since my left (already sits lower by 1/2 finger than my right rear) still has 2 turns left and my right rear is already at the lowest setting now. Is it my COs?OR it wasn't installed properly?

Thanks Blake.
did you take out those spring pads? if you left them in they may not age at the same rate which one could already collapsed and the other one being fine.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
did you take out those spring pads? if you left them in they may not age at the same rate which one could already collapsed and the other one being fine.
No,I haven't.My shop insisted that I mustn't take them out or I'll be hearing knocking sound

Maybe I should just go to another shop and let em remove the pads.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
No,I haven't.My shop insisted that I mustn't take them out or I'll be hearing knocking sound

the shop that told you coilover needs springpads are ones to avoid.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by FrankW
the shop that told you coilover needs springpads are ones to avoid.
TEIN wouldn't have left my spring pads off if it was necessary. And I have the prototypes.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
No I removed mine. There are no knocking sounds at all....

Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-myc230mercedes-001a.jpg  

Last edited by jay_mark_paul; 05-25-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: attachment
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
does the c32 springs fit directly on c320 non sports without any modification
if so how much of a drop will it be??

thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by yeuchau
does the c32 springs fit directly on c320 non sports without any modification
if so how much of a drop will it be??

thanks
will fit, but not much of a drop. just firmer ride.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by rlee02135
will fit, but not much of a drop. just firmer ride.
any idea how much of drop is not much..haha
cause I just want to lower it a bit to get rid of that big gape between the front wheels and the fenders

thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112

Thanks Blake.
Wow, when did you get your COs? Cuz I just got mine and Im having this same problem on the rear. I have them set equally on left/right rear, but have no spring pads in, but my left side is lower than my right side... Im even having the issue up front... I had to adjust my front left side up higher than my front right side.. just to make them even.

Ugh, whats going on with this? :\ Ive been driving around a little uneven for a week + now, hoping that the springs would settle or something.

Anyone else got any other ideas of why the COs could be uneven from side to side?

Last edited by TruTaing; 05-30-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
any idea how much of drop is not much..haha
cause I just want to lower it a bit to get rid of that big gape between the front wheels and the fenders

thanks
than C32 springs are not the way to go.

get H&R or Eibachs. or coilovers, so you can set the perfect height.

C32 Stock Suspension:

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-dscn2310.jpg
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by rlee02135
than C32 springs are not the way to go.

get H&R or Eibachs. or coilovers, so you can set the perfect height.

C32 Stock Suspension:

what gape looks very similar to the stock c320's gape
how about with sports package springs, cause I've seen picture that people put a sport springs on non sport suspension, and it lowered the car a bit and looks pretty good

I thought sports suspension is similar to AMG's??
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
what gape looks very similar to the stock c320's gape
how about with sports package springs, cause I've seen picture that people put a sport springs on non sport suspension, and it lowered the car a bit and looks pretty good

do you mean sport springs on non-sport dampers? i thought that "suspension" refers to both springs and dampers...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
do you mean sport springs on non-sport dampers? i thought that "suspension" refers to both springs and dampers...
sport springs on non-sport shocks
Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Wow, when did you get your COs? Cuz I just got mine and Im having this same problem on the rear. I have them set equally on left/right rear, but have no spring pads in, but my left side is lower than my right side... Im even having the issue up front... I had to adjust my front left side up higher than my front right side.. just to make them even.

Ugh, whats going on with this? :\ Ive been driving around a little uneven for a week + now, hoping that the springs would settle or something.

Anyone else got any other ideas of why the COs could be uneven from side to side?
I got my COs,hmm months ago from FrankW.I tried to contact Tein and this what I got:

Actually, there is a little weight bias from left and right sides which alters ride height for each corner by a few millimeters. In most cases, it is a very small amount that goes unnoticed. With height adjustable dampers, you can see the difference, especially when setting ride height. In most cases, driver's side weight is a little heavier.

If you have pictures to show us the difference in ride height from left to right, we can try to identify if there are any problems for you.

In my case, it makes sense if the pads actually caused my uneven height.IDK in yours since your pads were already removed.GL
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Hmm... I would imagine that any sort of issue w/ the ride height w/ yours would have been taken care of through frankw's use of the coil overs. I tried contacting tein once already, but did not get a response. What email did you send to?

Thanks,
Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Hmm... I would imagine that any sort of issue w/ the ride height w/ yours would have been taken care of through frankw's use of the coil overs. I tried contacting tein once already, but did not get a response. What email did you send to?

Thanks,
sales@tein.com
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
C55 ride height is similar to 04.5+ sport suspension, which is lower than the non-sport suspension.
C32 ride height is similar to 01-04 sport suspension, neither of which were any lower than the non-sport suspension.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
springs and shocks combo

i read in this thread that a couple of the coupe owners used to have eibachs and were happy with them for the first 3-4 years... but then the ride got rough.

i ALSO noticed that alot of you upgraded to coilovers.

given this, i have two questions:

1. did the ride become uncomfortable because the stock shocks wore out? and would this problem be resolved with just later upgrading shocks?

2. i am assuming that springs don't normally go bad... so do any of you have a used set of eibachs laying around that will fit my coupe?
(if springs do wear in any way correct me if i'm wrong)

my plan is to upgrade to eibach springs now... and later down the road when my shocks go bad, upgrade to koni shocks.

does this plan sound reasonable? (its the most affordable route that i can think of that maintains the comfortable ride)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
i read in this thread that a couple of the coupe owners used to have eibachs and were happy with them for the first 3-4 years... but then the ride got rough.

i ALSO noticed that alot of you upgraded to coilovers.

given this, i have two questions:

1. did the ride become uncomfortable because the stock shocks wore out? and would this problem be resolved with just later upgrading shocks?

2. i am assuming that springs don't normally go bad... so do any of you have a used set of eibachs laying around that will fit my coupe?
(if springs do wear in any way correct me if i'm wrong)

my plan is to upgrade to eibach springs now... and later down the road when my shocks go bad, upgrade to koni shocks.

does this plan sound reasonable? (its the most affordable route that i can think of that maintains the comfortable ride)
Sounds like a well thought out plan. If you are satisfied with the profile of drop that Eibach's give and don't need the adjustability, they should work fine. The stiffness of the ride isn't attributed to the springs. Those people should've upgraded their shocks.

That being said, Koni adjustables would be highly recommended.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM

c320 2002
lowering car info

Hi
i have a c320 2002 i just put rimms, u will see by the pics. i have to lower it because it looks bad. what do u recommend? i know there is spring only with stock shocks. But will that kill the shocks fast?

I ALSO KNOW THERE IS COILOVERS, the hole set is way more expensive because u change the shocks as well, example TEIN Basic Kit ~ 1000.00$ canadian + installation i guess.

is it worth to spend the extra on the coilover set? will the ride become super super hard like the modified civic cars or it will be rigide but still a nice drive like c55 or m3?

here are my pics. please post some pics of different lowering setups springs, coilovers so i can see different setups to help me choose thks.

Last edited by davidleski; 09-08-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line

The drop from Eibach springs is not that great, but I guess it depends on the look you're going for. I'll never settle for anything other than coilovers from now on because of the matched spring/shock combo and ability to dial in the exact height I want. Anything less would be uncivilized.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/////AMG
Originally Posted by davidleski
Hi
i have a c320 2002 i just put rimms, u will see by the pics. i have to lower it because it looks bad. what do u recommend? i know there is spring only with stock shocks. But will that kill the shocks fast?

I ALSO KNOW THERE IS COILOVERS, the holes set is may more expense because u change the shocks as well, examplke TEIN Basic Kit ~ 1000.00$ canadian + installation i guess.

is it worth to spen the extra on the coilover? wil the ride become super super hard like the civic modified cars or it will rigide but still a nice drive like c55 or m3?

here are my pics. please post some pics of different lowering setups springs, coilovers so i can see different setups to help me choose thks.

This should answer your questions

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100665
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Sounds like a well thought out plan. If you are satisfied with the profile of drop that Eibach's give and don't need the adjustability, they should work fine. The stiffness of the ride isn't attributed to the springs. Those people should've upgraded their shocks.

That being said, Koni adjustables would be highly recommended.
thanks drex... i just need the thumbs up from one of the more experienced guys on here... and im glad its coming from another midnight blue car

i just have regular (non-sport) suspension on my car... so it should be a good enough change from what i have. and since i plan to keep this car for a couple more years and since its not a true sports car... coilovers are not for me.

let me know if you hear from anyone who as a set of eibachs laying around

thanks dawg!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread