C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

auto windows/sunroof close when it rains?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
I'm certain that there is no 'Auto-up' program due to liability concerns.

A window or roof that closes without warning could cause harm to someone's child who was hanging out the window when the rain started.

At least with the one-touch up feature, the driver has to initiate the window up procedure, thus he would be at least partially at fault in the event of a problem.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Except for the fact that there are pressure sensors.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
yeah, leaving the sunroof open is a bad idea but if its really hot out do you really want to come back to the car and open the door and have it be 150 degrees inside, especially with a black on black car.
the motors in the windows would burn out before they hurt you and they do have safety sensors that detect resistance so that would be very unlikely to get hurt by having your dumb *** sticking through a window while its closing.
and yeah there might be times when you want the windows open while it's raining but maybe they could make it only active when they car is locked and the key out of the ignition.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls 63 amg, 2006 Bmw M6
Originally Posted by ctC230K
yeah, leaving the sunroof open is a bad idea but if its really hot out do you really want to come back to the car and open the door and have it be 150 degrees inside, especially with a black on black car.
the motors in the windows would burn out before they hurt you and they do have safety sensors that detect resistance so that would be very unlikely to get hurt by having your dumb *** sticking through a window while its closing.
and yeah there might be times when you want the windows open while it's raining but maybe they could make it only active when they car is locked and the key out of the ignition.
If they could pull that off, it would be an amazing option I tell you
Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
It would probably be easier for them to install some kind of an electric fan on a vent that would run when the inside temperature reached a certain point. It could even be solar powered.

As for the safety factor, it does not take much pressure to crush someone's fingers.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
It's an interesting idea, but you're just being insistant, now. There is no argument to be won or lost. I pointed out several concerns that outweigh the potential benefits, imo. The car is not made that way for a reason, either technical or legal.

You have a tilt-up feature on the sunroof. On hot days, I normally leave the runroof in the tilted-up position (with the sunshade close). Here in HOT Dallas, TX, that procedure adequately vents the hot internal air just as efficiently, without leaving the entire roof open to the elements. We get the sudden downbursts in Dallas too, but the roof drains work amazingly well, as I don't get water in the car short of a monsoon with 40mph winds (once in 4 years).

The Black on Black observation has merit, but not enough to convince you to buy a lighter color car in the first place. The Black interior will always soak up more heat than a lighter color. I've made this mistake myself, so from a position of experience, I feel everyone should own a Black car (or a convertible) at least once in their lives to get it out of their systems. Usually 15-30 days is long enough teach the point... certainly by the third loan payment.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Originally Posted by revstriker
It would probably be easier for them to install some kind of an electric fan on a vent that would run when the inside temperature reached a certain point. It could even be solar powered.

As for the safety factor, it does not take much pressure to crush someone's fingers.
Retrofit the W211 Venting system onto a C-Coupe. The both have pano roofs, now if i can only get the solar panels to fit!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by revstriker

LOL first thing that came to mind when i read that is a big fan under the sunroof that would blow air up and out, so much air that it deflects the rain keeping the rain from falling inside the car hahaha
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM

2005 E320 CDI (Brilliant Silver)
Well I think my car does have a feature to close the roof if it rains. The other night my wife drove the car and I rode the Harley. When we got home I emptied all the crap out of the car and took it in the house for her. After making my final check of the inside of the car I noticed the "close sunroof" message in the dash display but thought what the heck, it ain't gonna rain. Well guess what? The next day I'm looking out the upstairs window and I yell "Honey did you close the sunroof this morning" as there were raindrops on the car because it did rain and yes the roof was closed shut (it was left in the vent/tilt up position the night before).

So then I think maybe I wasn't lazy and closed the roof and just didn't remember, but when I got in the car to go to work this morning the "close sunroof" message was still in the display until I started the car.

So maybe, just maybe there is something to this... or I have gremlins

Oh yeah but I do drive an E Class (Sorry I didn't realize it was a C Class thread) if that makes a difference

Last edited by Mnymaker; 08-20-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Wrong Category
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
How about opening the roof & windows then throw a bucket of water at the car. If they don't close try another bucket full from a different angle. I'm sure after 5 or 6 buckets they will close.