C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Funny Story: Light for shifter and ashtray...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Funny Story: Light for shifter and ashtray...

Wuddup everyone!

Just got my car back from the dealer, so I thought I'd share my story. Last week, I got my car back from Auto Stiegler (Convenience problem, again ) and I noticed when I was driving home at night that the lights for the gear indicator and ashtray were not on...So I figured that it was probably a fuse because only those lighted areas of the car were not working.

I get home, I start reading the manual again, just to refresh my mind on where the fuse boxes are. I then proceed to pull and check each fuse in each area, but NONE of the fuses are bad.

So I figure I have to bring the car back to the dealership for fixing. Instead of Auto Stiegler (which is closer to my house), I brought the car to Beverly Hills Mercedes (which has a semi-bad reputation with service) because it's on my way to work and only a 5 minute drive away. I told my service advisor over there that the gear indicator lights near the shifter and the ashtray light are not working. I leave the car and he tells me that he'll call when it's done. (This was around 7:30am, today).

So around 230ish, I get back from work and I see that I have a message on my work line. I check the message and it's my service advisor saying that my car is ready for pick up, but...the lights weren't working because somebody was tampering with the lights! And this normally wouldn't be covered under warranty because of that...Well, I kept thinking to myself, "why the hell would Auto Stiegler mess with that area of the car?"..."It had nothing to do with what I needed fixed".

So, I get to the dealership and I talk to the guy and he asked me if anybody had messed with the lighting in the shift area. He also told me that he was able to justify covering it under warranty.

That's when I started to realize that the ONLY person that had ever messed with that area was...you guessed it...ME!...LOL. I bought the Ash shifter from Steve and installed it myself. I must have hit a wire or something by accident because the light was working for a while!

Well, anyways, I got my car back, no charge for the fix, and told the service advisor that I don't know who could've tampered with it. Everything that I have on there was installed by the dealership I took the car to
Old 03-11-2005, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Thumbs down

Nothing personal, but
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
heh, on a related note, i tried to get the front dome assembly off and ended up scraping the hell out of it as well as breaking one of the tabs off that is under the light enclosure. i told my service advisor what i did and wanted to know how much it would be to replace...he told me not to talk to anybody else there and take it in. i did and he came up with a story that the light enclosure fell off while i was driving and ended up replacing the entire assembly for free for me
Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a C
Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
heh, on a related note, i tried to get the front dome assembly off and ended up scraping the hell out of it as well as breaking one of the tabs off that is under the light enclosure. i told my service advisor what i did and wanted to know how much it would be to replace...he told me not to talk to anybody else there and take it in. i did and he came up with a story that the light enclosure fell off while i was driving and ended up replacing the entire assembly for free for me

.... though your SA was definitely COOL... it also pays to be COOL to our respective SA's.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
Nothing personal, but
Don't hate cuz you actually took the time to read it, Jim! lol

Hey, I was just sharin' cuz I thought it was hilarious that I was the cause of the lights not workin'.