C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone cross shop BMW or the E class? Also, need info on wheels/suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I am indeed looking for such a car, but have yet to find one (m)

Originally Posted by Luthor
Assuming that these sources are accurate, then why not buy a 1-year-old E500 4Matic? At 48K, the E500 has everything you're seeking, for the same price as a new C350 4Matic Luxury (including the aftermarket 17-inch wheels and tires) without the compromises you prefer not to make. And having depreciated so much during its first year, your E500's value should stabilize in the second year, unlike a new C350 -- which is just waiting to start its own plummet when you drive it off the lot (you'll never recoup the price of the new wheels, for starters). Add $2K to the price of the E500 and get a Starmark one if you fear buying someone else's problem car, and you get the free maintenance that MB discontinued in '05 too. No DVD-Navi, though, and sorry 'bout the gas prices.

I've been looking around for the right combinationof options & colors and am not really willing to compromise all that much. For example, the interior MUST be stone, as I really do not care in the least for the other colors.
48 is the trade in value. Full retail is supposed to be around 53, but local dealers all want 58 and up for anything that is even close. Too much considering that I could buy new for 63. There seems to be a substantial disconnect between what dealers give on trades and retail. This is something of an issue in the Tri-State area, unfortunately. A dealer contact tells me the reason is that most dealers are into the cars for too much $$. I found one that would have been perfect, but the selling dealer wouldn't budge off of 58. Had I bought it I'd have lost 10K the second the ink dried on the contract. Just not worth it to me.
Since I am in no rush whatsoever, I am still looking, but as someone noted am concerned w/ post warranty costs. The C is probably more affordable post warranty and is still available new w/ all options for at least 10K less.
I'll have to drive them again, but I still didn't enough of a difference to justify a 10-20K disparity.
Yeah, I know- I am waaaaaay too fussy, but that's hard to change. I'll know more once I drive the 350 when it finally gets here. My suspicion is that it'll have damn near the same power to weight ratio as the E500.