C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Locking Doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2005 | 12:01 PM
Almost a Member!

C320
Locking Doors

On a CClass, 2001 4 door sedan, can you lock the doors without using the remote? I looked in the manual and STT and found no answers. This is the one thing my wife does not like about the car. When she gets out of the car and her hands are full with items she has to fumble with the remote to lock the doors. Our previous car you could press a button when you were getting out of the car and when you shut the door the car was locked and alarm enabled. I can't believe with all the technolofy in the MB the only way to lock the door is with the remote.
I know the center button on the dash will lock and unlock the doors while you are in the car. You can't set the lock button once the door is open and when you shut the door it will be lock.
Old 03-13-2005 | 12:07 PM
JeT

Originally Posted by Larry Stevenson
On a CClass, 2001 4 door sedan, can you lock the doors without using the remote? I looked in the manual and STT and found no answers. This is the one thing my wife does not like about the car. When she gets out of the car and her hands are full with items she has to fumble with the remote to lock the doors. Our previous car you could press a button when you were getting out of the car and when you shut the door the car was locked and alarm enabled. I can't believe with all the technolofy in the MB the only way to lock the door is with the remote.
I know the center button on the dash will lock and unlock the doors while you are in the car. You can't set the lock button once the door is open and when you shut the door it will be lock.
Its probably a bit dangerous...what happens if you take the key out of the ignition, throw it on the spare seat and forget it momentarily before auto locking the car? You've just locked your keys in the car.

Buy your wife a lanyard and tell her to throw it around her neck before getting out of the car...that's what I do when I have heaps of stuff to carry out.

Last edited by JeT; 03-13-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2005 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
you could always just lock the car after you're inside the house, the remote goes a long distance.
Old 03-13-2005 | 05:58 PM

2005 E500
I was pretty sure that there was an autolock option. I thought is was something about a time delay with the key out of the ignition. I'll go pull my manual and see.
Old 03-13-2005 | 06:11 PM

2005 E500
I think I am mistaken. I was thinking about the automatic locking that happens if you unlock the door with the remote and then wait a while. It will automatically re-lock after 40 seconds.
Old 03-13-2005 | 06:21 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Yes you actually can lock the car without using the remotes but it involves trickery.
1) Lock the drivers door from the inside.
2) Exit the passenger door and push its button prior to closing it.
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:29 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by JeT
Its probably a bit dangerous...what happens if you take the key out of the ignition, throw it on the spare seat and forget it momentarily before auto locking the car? You've just locked your keys in the car.

Buy your wife a lanyard and tell her to throw it around her neck before getting out of the car...that's what I do when I have heaps of stuff to carry out.
My wife recently locked her keys, purse, and cell phone in her Chrysler precisely because it was possible to lock the car with the lock button on the door. I have tried to convince her to use the remote to lock the car but she claims her hands are always full. I now appreciate the fact that I cannot lock my keys in the Mercedes.
On her car (and all of my previous cars), I always check(ed) to make sure I had the keys in my hand or in a pocket before closing any doors or the trunk. It was a habit my father instilled in me. Served me well all these years.

GGM
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:47 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
Originally Posted by GGM
My wife recently locked her keys, purse, and cell phone in her Chrysler precisely because it was possible to lock the car with the lock button on the door. I have tried to convince her to use the remote to lock the car but she claims her hands are always full. I now appreciate the fact that I cannot lock my keys in the Mercedes.
On her car (and all of my previous cars), I always check(ed) to make sure I had the keys in my hand or in a pocket before closing any doors or the trunk. It was a habit my father instilled in me. Served me well all these years.

GGM
That is one thing I really liked with my benz.
Old 03-14-2005 | 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

C320
I am used to taking my keys out of the ignition and hitting a lock button when getting out of the car and when I closed the door the doors were locked. Guess I have to get used to fumbling with the remote when I get out of the car to look the door(s).