C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

windshield wiper is out of place

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
windshield wiper is out of place

Hi all, yesterday my car was covered with about an inch of snow when I parked it outside. I turned on the wiper without wiping the snow off first because it didn't look thick at all. The wipers came up and when it went back down, the left wiper got stuck on a pile of snow (didn't go all the way down to start position). So I lifted the blade and wipe away the excess snow. Right now, the lowest the left wiper would go down is to the point where it was stuck on the snow. It's moving and wiping fine. I tried to force the arm down and it won't budge. Is there anything else I can do or do I just have to bring it to the dealer? Would the warrenty cover any repair charges? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by mrkrichie; 03-24-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Sounds like the wiper was not completely tight on the spindle, and shifted out of register when it struck the snow obstruction. I've not had a need to do this on my MB, but with previous cars, you just (carefully) remove the cap covering the wiper post, remove the nut and pull the wiper off. Then cycle the wipers to the off position (judging by the remaining wiper). Then reinstall the wiper in the stowed position and tighten the retaining nut completely. If the splines on the wiper post are stripped, then you have a worse problem.

Of course the dealer can do this for you (probably) under warranty because the wiper should have not been loose enough the slip out of register. A 1-inch snowfall should not hang up the wipers. They have worse snowfalls than 1 inch in Germany.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Sounds like the wiper was not completely tight on the spindle, and shifted out of register when it struck the snow obstruction. I've not had a need to do this on my MB, but with previous cars, you just (carefully) remove the cap covering the wiper post, remove the nut and pull the wiper off. Then cycle the wipers to the off position (judging by the remaining wiper). Then reinstall the wiper in the stowed position and tighten the retaining nut completely. If the splines on the wiper post are stripped, then you have a worse problem.

Of course the dealer can do this for you (probably) under warranty because the wiper should have not been loose enough the slip out of register. A 1-inch snowfall should not hang up the wipers. They have worse snowfalls than 1 inch in Germany.
Is this the same process to slightly move the "home position" more upwards? I recently fitted Bosch ICONS onto my '03 C230 and everything moves up and down just fine except that when my wipers are off the passenger side blade seems to eat into the base (the black trim at bottom of windshield glass) a bit.

I was hoping that I could simply take off and loosen something to kind of adjust the home position on my passenger blade so that it sits a little bit higher. Bob, would this be the same process as you mentioned above? Also, there are 2 bolts to the bottom of the wiper post cover itself...do I have to remove those as well? Thanks in advance

edit:
I just took a closer look at the passenger side windshield wiper and was hoping to ge things done with Bob's method...thing is...there is also a cover for the wiper post but it leads to two dead bolts pretty much that is pointless to remove if you're just adjusting the home position. The two bolts I mentioned earlier in this post are actually the bolts that have to be taken off to adjust it to the home position I'm guessing? Well I can't get it off with any of the tools I have now (I usually borrow my neighbor's tools but I think he isn't home right now) so I guess I will give it another go tommorow...but can anyone fill me in on one thing...so basically I take off or loosen these two bolts then I just simply move the wiper blade to the position I want? Is this how the process is done? Can someone verify if I'm correct about this process or not.

Last edited by c230K415; 02-22-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
I have the same issue at the moment. I had a lot of heavy snow fall from the roof of my car onto my windshield while the wiper blades were on and now they're stuck about 3" from the home position.

Can anyone elaborate more on this fix with a diagram?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 AM

c240 2002
Near the end of the windshield wiper arm, there is a little flap or cap that covers a nut.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kanadian
Near the end of the windshield wiper arm, there is a little flap or cap that covers a nut.

Thanks! Just what I needed.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM

c240 2002
Originally Posted by PeteyV
Thanks! Just what I needed.
No problem
Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM

This thread is a bit old but since I just got to readjusting my wipers I have a question. Are the wiper arms supposed to be very difficult to remove because after I remove the nut they wont budge off of the post. I was thinking about spraying some WD-40 on them to loosen it up but I did not have any at home.

The problem is that my passenger side wiper travels too far down and hits the plastic casing below the windshield and my driver side wiper sits too far high and unscrews itself if I adjust it to the correct position.

Any advice?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Ok, this is a pretty stale thread, but maybe someone can help me with a question.

In the instructions shown in post #5, it says:

"The wiper blade must lie exactly on mark A in the windshield screen printing."

Does this refer to a mark on the windshield or is there a template that is laid over the windshield that gives the mark? Can someone tell me where this "mark A" is?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C230 Sedan Manual
Originally Posted by ncmudbug
Ok, this is a pretty stale thread, but maybe someone can help me with a question.

In the instructions shown in post #5, it says:

"The wiper blade must lie exactly on mark A in the windshield screen printing."

Does this refer to a mark on the windshield or is there a template that is laid over the windshield that gives the mark? Can someone tell me where this "mark A" is?

Thanks!
Did you ever figure out how to locate marks A or B on your windshield? Mine is sitting a little too low after I re-installed the passenger assembly.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Nope. I never did. Since I also have a 2006 C230, I think I can figure out where the wipers are supposed to park pretty accurately. When I wrote that post, my problem was that the driver's wiper didn't sweep the full arc so I wondered if there was something about the parking location that I needed to get right. I don't think that's my problem. if I put the driver's wiper in the correct place when parked (noting the position on my wife's C230), it wouldn't wipe all the way to the A-pillar. I've looked at the linkage and I can't find anything that's bent (which from what I can tell is what might cause that. All this started when a Safelite guy did a crappy installing the windshield. He didn't tighten the driver's wiper nut enough and it crashed into the passenger's wiper. I can't remember the entire sequence of events, but at one time, it parked with the driver's wiper pointing straight up. It may be that I need all new linkage pieces but, like I say, I can't find anything wrong with them.