C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

H/K stereo no sound problem continued...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
H/K stereo no sound problem continued...

The no sound problem has happened twice on my '05 C320ss with only 3k miles. The first time it fixed itself after I shut the car off and started it again - that was about a month ago. Yesterday it happened again but this time did not fix itself after a few start re-starts and again nothing the next day. So, before I setup the dreaded dealer service visit, I wanted to try one more thing. I disconnected the positive battery cable for 60 seconds and magically the stereo sound was back! Maybe H/K and Microsoft developed this system.

Don't know if this info is known or not but I wanted to post my findings in case it helps another board member. I did search the forum and found a few threads on this topic but didn't see anything on the battery disconnect fix.

Anyway, rock on!

-Jeff
Old 04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
this is a known issue... the "battery disconnect fix" will only work for some instances, but the problem will come back.

you need to have the dealer upgrade the firmware of the sound system. they did that to mine a few months back and I've never had the problems again.

search for some of my threads regarding the issue, there's lot of stuff on this problem already (sorry, I'm too lazy right now too look for my own stuff...)
Old 04-10-2005, 06:10 PM

2014 CLS550 4Matic
OK, thanks for letting me know about the firmware upgrade, somehow I missed that info in the posts I found. Can I get ya to give any more info in what that upgrade involves? Like do they just plug something in and flash it, or do they need to physically remove the head unit and replace something? I'd like to tell my dealer exactly what to do to minimize everyone's time and effort. Thanks man.

-Jeff
Old 04-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I honestly don't know. I was first told by my SA that they were going to change the entire amp b/c of a software update. When I looked at my service receipt, I saw they just upgraded the firmware. I'm pretty sure it was a simple plug and play into the car's main computer port (under the steering column), why do I know that? they left the lid of the computer port open when I got back into my car
Old 04-10-2005, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
1) You shouldn't disconnect the battery if you don't have to. In this case, you do not have to disconnect the battery. It can cause a bunch of other programming issues, some simple (let's wait for the posts about the auto windows down not working) and some not so simple (rough idle due to non-normalization of idle stop).

2) If you feel you need to disconnect the battery or there's no issues with it (there are plenty of people here that think there's no problem disconnecting the battery), then you should disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal of the battery first. If you don't understand this, you should learn some basic automotive repair before continuing any work on your car.

To remove the power to the audio gateway/head unit/amplifier/etc., you can just remove the fuses from the fusebox. You will be less likely to mess things up in the car. This has been covered as a "quick fix" for H/K sound since 2003 in the E-class forum...

-s-
Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I'm SOOOOOOO glad I stuck w/ the standard audio package. It sounds GREAT (much better than my '02 C240) and works perfectly
Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jim Banville
I'm SOOOOOOO glad I stuck w/ the standard audio package. It sounds GREAT (much better than my '02 C240) and works perfectly
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I got the H/K. I had a 2005 C240 loaner for a week before I got my car, and I thought that sound was good from a stock system, but it wasn't that great. It was just a tad step down from the Bose system on my w202. When I got my car, I completely noticed the difference. The sound is richer, fuller, and can be much louder. I think it's well worth it and it blows the stock system and the old Bose system on the C280 out of the water.

My aunt has a 2005 C230K as well, except the only option she has on hers is automatic. Side-by-side, the H/K blows it out of the water.

Aside from the problems in the begining (which annoyed me like crazy), it was resolved and after the firmware upgrade, there's been no problem since. The only "issue" is the rattle from the trunk release button, and that has nothing to do with the sound system. The thing I couldn't fathom with the stock system is that if you don't get H/K, then you have no center speaker. I love the 7.1 digital surround. It's funny b/c my "home theatre system" only has 5.1 digital surround...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:37 PM

2014 CLS550 4Matic
Resolution:

After my battery disconnect, the stereo was working fine although I suspect nlpamg is correct in saying the problem will come back. So, I took the car to the dealer for the firmware upgrade and the dealerships free first inspection.

I have to say I was very pleased with my first service experience. I dropped the car off in the morning and was given a free '05 C240 loaner. At 3pm the car was ready with the stereo firmware upgraded, the entire vehicle inspected (no issues found) and the car was washed and detailed inside and out. They even gave me a big MB chocolate emblem.

Props to MB of Portland, OR.

Btw, after my battery disconnect I did notice that the front windows seemed to lose their auto-up feature. However, after I manually (held the button down) put both windows all the way down, the auto-up feature worked again. Seems like the windows just needed to go all the way down to re-learn the total window travel before the auto-up feature would work... I don't know, they work now.

-Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you to scorchie , after 6 months of owning my 05 SS the same thing happend. My audio stopped working and the CD changer was not recognized. Shut the car off and on several times but still nothing happend. Waited one day and still no results. Then I read this post and and I removed the fuse for the radio from the fuse both located next to the driver side door and it worked. I know this issue might come back again and need a sofware upgrade but its a temp fix. No need to disconnect the battery. Thanks alot Scorchie, this worked.

Oh I also wanted to say that the search feature worked
Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 PM

05 CLK 320
I had a similar issue and many other issues with my H/K system, Mulitple speakers had to be replaced due to distortion. after some 9k worth of repairs on a 10 month old car, MBUSA decided to buy back the car. Good luck with yoru cars.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:30 AM

cool, you got it fixed.

any one else have the problem with distortion in there speakers. Just my pas. front tweeter has a crackling sound i only hear it on some songs but i hear it. i have bass at 0 treb at +1
Old 04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

Yeah on some songs I also hear the crackling sounds or some distortion. Not sure what the fix is for that. But I can live with it for the most part. Just dont want to take it to the dealership because I dont want them screwing around with my new car. If it gets worse I will take it in. The system is good as far as power, bass, and speaker system. But the bugs have not been worked out. Wish it was tested more before it was rolled out into our benzs.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:05 AM

My H/K system also stopped working today, no sound although it looked to be on. The service fixed it and based on what was on the work sheet apparently they had to replace an amplifier. I also asked if they did a SW/FW upgrade, and they claimed they did. I hope this doesn´t happen again.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Just had my amp replaced yesterday and the software update applied and I also had a crackling noise from the center speaker that was driving me insane. The service report said the center speaker was not properly clamped down in its housing. In addition, the trunk release would rattle, and I had similar bass/treble settings that BurntToast posted. It would vibrate at times, the service department put felt around the outer switch (inside door panel) and the noise is gone. Hopefully that lasts awhile.

Lastly, there is a tech bulletin regarding the Sirius satellite radio, the dealer is ordering a part to fix the "ACQUIRING" message that will not go away every 7th or so time the car is turned on. Just thought I would mention that, thought it should be on a different thread if not already posted.

Rasmussen MB of Portland has some great techs and service advisors.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by BMore
My H/K system also stopped working today, no sound although it looked to be on. The service fixed it and based on what was on the work sheet apparently they had to replace an amplifier. I also asked if they did a SW/FW upgrade, and they claimed they did. I hope this doesn´t happen again.
It seems that the new amp also removed the excess bass, similarly I have a feeling the automatic volume control is not as noticeable. Funny.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
This past weekend, my H/K system had static/distortion. Sounded like a scratched record player. It first, I thought it was the radio station, but then realized that that a CD way playing. Thought it was just a dirty CD and decided to use other CDs in the changer. Same problem. Tried turning off the power...didn't work. After shutting off the car and re-starting was the only solution. It seems to be fine now. If it happens again, I'll have to take it to the dealer and request a firmware upgrade (as mention by others).
Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
my SA claims to know nothing about the existence of a firmware upgrade!

does anyone have more info. that I can pass on?

H/K radio wasn't working this morning (6K miles/6 months old).

Last edited by raunen; 05-03-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by raunen
my SA claims to know nothing about the existence of a firmware upgrade!

does anyone have more info. that I can pass on?

H/K radio wasn't working this morning (6K miles/6 months old).
that's bull****. my SA will never admit to any TSB's (I think that's what the things are called), but after going there twice seemed to have found the firmware/"amp" upgrade.

keep on pounding it to them, or take it to another dealer.

good luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

Yes, I agree with you, some SA have no clue. Some are good. I have been in this situation. You need to pound on the SA and pound some more. Its your job to buy the car, their job to fix it. It is not your job to do the reseach for them. Bring the point up next time.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM

05' C230 Kompressor SS Mars Red 6speed--1990 300D 5speed
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
cool, you got it fixed.

any one else have the problem with distortion in there speakers. Just my pas. front tweeter has a crackling sound i only hear it on some songs but i hear it. i have bass at 0 treb at +1

Thats what happens to me too and i also kept my sound at 0 bass and +1 treb but i keep changeing it but it still does it on songs with a lot of bass so then i have to put the volume down cuz im scared to blow out the speaker... it pisses me off cuz the speakers have to much bass no matter how loud the volume is.....so i guess i might go get some new speakers but not til these get messed up
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
EKY

2006 Acura RL - Aspec rims/spoiler, JDM grille
The other day, my car stereo was blasting at full volume with the predominant noise being static. Only faint music could be heard in the background. I couldn't adjust the volume, change discs or switch to the radio. I was in the area so I stopped by the dealership. When the techs turned on the stereo, they literally jumped out of the car because it was so loud.

Today, they did a firmware upgrade. Now, my stereo sounds so weak. There is hardly any bass. I guess I was just used to the excess bass when I first got the car. Is this normal? I see here that some members have noticed a decrease in the bass after recieving the upgrade. Any possible explanation?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
EKY

2006 Acura RL - Aspec rims/spoiler, JDM grille
..my browser is messing up or it might be the forums.. my post doesn't show. Hopefully this one will. (I tried to post 3 times over two days but my post hasn't shown)

I'm trying to find out if the decrease in the the fullness and bass of the HK system after the upgrade is normal. Has anyone gone back to the dealership to find out why this is? My SA said it is "normal" and the stereo is working fine.

Last edited by EKY; 05-24-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Happened tonight...Damn, why do you guys have to be so resourceful?? Firmware...boo. I was hoping to get an 06 mp3 headunit out of this :v
Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by delbomber
Happened tonight...Damn, why do you guys have to be so resourceful?? Firmware...boo. I was hoping to get an 06 mp3 headunit out of this :v
it's cool, knowing MB and their warranty, they're likely to give you a new or even refurb 05 headunit... anyways, no changes from the 05 to 06 headunit.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:24 AM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
so how long did it take the dealer to fix it?
mine just broken, no sound, and NO CDC
man... i cant believe this!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H/K stereo no sound problem continued...