C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TEIN Basic and Super Street coilovers (Update on post 177)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005 | 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm serious about going halves too.

Guys, come on, EDFC, how lazy can you get. I think it's kind of funny/cheesy/but cool at the same time to pop the hood at convenience store to adjust the fronts when you are first driving around trying to get it dialed in.

My opinion about the EDFC is that it's another electro-mechanical component waiting to freaking fail and screw you.

Tom
Old 04-15-2005 | 11:23 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by nukblazi
My opinion about the EDFC is that it's another electro-mechanical component waiting to freaking fail and screw you.

Tom
Tom, I totally understand your p.o.v. on that. In fact, the guy I'm planning on purchasing from agrees with you.

And you are right, it's the "ultimate" in laziness

As for you and Tom going Half/half on a rental for me, I REALLY appreciate that, but no need to do that guys. Seriously, one way or another I'll find a way to do that. I might actually just take some vacation days that I need to use by June, anyway. We'll see after I talk to TEIN today, cuz it also depends on when they can do it as well, but definitely want to do it sometime soon.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 04-15-2005 | 05:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Done deal!...

Thanks to the coaxing of nukblazi (Tom) and Tommy, I decided to ask my boss for a couple days off. Luckily she is the best boss anybody could ever ask for! After I told her why it was a last minute request, she was ecstatic and thought it was the coolest thing to have a Suspension company asking to use my car for test fitting.

Needless to say, I'm going to be dropping my car off at TEIN, USA in Downey on Wednesday at 10:00am and then picking it up the next day. Here's the schedule:

Wed. Apr. 20, 2005
- Drop my car off
- Measurements to be taken for C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan

Thur. Apr. 21, 2005
- Measurements to be completed and sent to JAPAN for prototype manufacturing.
- Get my car back

I didn't get a chance to speak with Jun about how long until the prototypes arrive at TEIN USA, but I'll definitely do that when I drop my car off on next Wednesday.

As far as I understand, and from what they explained to me, they are doing R&D for the BASIC's right now. I told them I would primarily be interested in the Super Streets. They said that they can't control which setup is sent for "prototyping", but their best guess would be that the BASIC's would be sent for prototyping on my car, but they also said that it's not their decision.

So, that being said, from what I was told, after the whole process is completed, I would "most likely" get to keep the prototypes with no charge!

Hopefully it's true and I will be able to keep the prototypes with no charge. I am "hoping" that the setup they decide to send for prototyping is the Super Street setup, but I also won't complain if they send the BASIC.
Old 04-15-2005 | 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Awesome! Way to step up in the clutch.
Old 04-15-2005 | 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice, thanks for doing this. It's good to see more people getting more and more involved and enthusiastic.

Good job, freebies are Schweeet. If you end up with the Basic's, use them, get it done, get the SS's sent over, sell the basics and get SS's discounted

Tom
Old 04-16-2005 | 04:46 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Nice, thanks for doing this. It's good to see more people getting more and more involved and enthusiastic.

Good job, freebies are Schweeet. If you end up with the Basic's, use them, get it done, get the SS's sent over, sell the basics and get SS's discounted

Tom
Tom,...LOL...That's exactly what I proposed to Jun when I talked to him. He said that we'd have to discuss it after the prototyping is finished, so definitely will see.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Sounds great, thanks for taking the ball and running with it!

Keep us updated, and good luck with the freebies.
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Questions anybody?

What's up everybody! Since tomorrow is "the day", I thought I'd check if anybody had any questions that they wanted me to ask TEIN, USA, since I'm dropping off my car. Just post your questions on this thread and I'll be happy to get all the information I can while I'm over there.

Drex
Old 04-19-2005 | 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
What's up everybody! Since tomorrow is "the day", I thought I'd check if anybody had any questions that they wanted me to ask TEIN, USA, since I'm dropping off my car. Just post your questions on this thread and I'll be happy to get all the information I can while I'm over there.

Drex
Why are Moton's, KW's, and JRZ suspensions so much better than TEIN

LoL, joking. Why should average road going daily drivers choose their suspensions competition

If they outsource or utilize a another company's products in their products, what it is and who makes it? i.e., koni or bilstein struts/shocks

What are the spring rates
What are the compression rates
What are the rebound rates

etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Why are Moton's, KW's, and JRZ suspensions so much better than TEIN

LoL, joking. Why should average road going daily drivers choose their suspensions competition

If they outsource or utilize a another company's products in their products, what it is and who makes it? i.e., koni or bilstein struts/shocks

What are the spring rates
What are the compression rates
What are the rebound rates

etc., etc., etc.
LOL...Hmmm, wonder which suspensions you favor, Tom...hahaha.

I can always count on you to have the logical questions, Tom. These are definite questions I had on my list regarding both setups.

Anybody else think of anything?
Old 04-20-2005 | 04:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Okay, so I just got back home from TEIN. Jun was not in, so I did not get to ask him the questions you and I both had in mind, Tom. I will ask him tomorrow when I pick up the car, but...I did pick up a brochure that explains some information:

From TEIN catalog:
DEVELOPMENT
1) OEM Measurement
- Measurements of the actual vehicle height and data from OEM shocks are carefully analyzed.

2) DESIGN
- Based on the measurement data, the most appropriate design is created by TEIN's in-house design team.

3) PROTOTYPE PRODUCTION
- A prototype is produced using the same process as that for mass-production

4) TEST FITMENT
- The prototype is installed in an actual car to check for problems and difficulties during installation. Measurement of car height and other parts are also taken.

5) FINAL ROAD TEST
- In addition to a sensory evaluation, the prototype uses measuring instruments such as a G sensor and stroke sensor
- Only prototypes that pass the test fitment, and road tests are send to mass-production

So, according to the paperwork I signed, there's a possibility I won't receive a freebie set, but either way, this will hopefully speed up the development of TEIN products that are being offered for the w203.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, for those interested in springs only, they are also supposedly developing Dress Up and Luxury Master springs for our car as well. That is according to what the catalog says.

Lastly, according to the 2005 catalog, the SSP (Super Street w/ Pillowball Upper Mounts) are also in development, which would most likely mean that the EDFC will be compatible (That's info specifically for you and I Tommy!...LOL).

Last edited by drexappeal; 04-20-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2005 | 04:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I can't find any info about the shocks and whether or not they are made in-house or outsourced, but here is information on the springs:

From TEIN catalog:
MANUFACTURING

1) MATERIAL INSPECTION
- Materials are checked before coiling

2) COILING
- We use a cold-coiling process which is a high quality and cost effective method to produce springs

3) HEAT TREATMENT
- The residual stress can be eliminated by a low temperature tempering treatment following cold-coiling

4) GRINDING
- The end face is grinded in accordance with the form of every car

5) DOUBLE SHOT PEENING
- The spring surface is bombarded with shots to induce beneficial surface stresses in the material thereby increasing spring life

6) SETTING
- Fixing a spring at elevated temperature to minimize loss of load

7) POWDER COATED
- A high-grade urethane paint powder is electrically changed to the surface of the springs before it is baked in a furnace.

8) INSPECTION
- Print LOGO, check and measure each aspect of the finished product

9) SHIPMENT
- Only after products have passed our rigorous Quality Control inspection process are they boxed and shipped to the U.S.
Old 04-20-2005 | 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
which would most likely mean that the EDFC will be compatible (That's info specifically for you and I Tommy!...LOL).
Ahhhh, that's music to my ears!

Thanks again for being the test mule on this. I'd just do a basic quickie check of your car tomorrow and look for any issues before leaving their lot - you never know.
Old 04-20-2005 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by tommy
I'd just do a basic quickie check of your car tomorrow and look for any issues before leaving their lot - you never know.
Definitely. Are they just using the car for measurements or will they be putting the current prototype on and testing the car out? If testing, did you discuss how many miles and what type of stress they'd be putting the car under?
Old 04-20-2005 | 06:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Blake P
Definitely. Are they just using the car for measurements or will they be putting the current prototype on and testing the car out? If testing, did you discuss how many miles and what type of stress they'd be putting the car under?
Didn't really get to discuss much detail about the prototyping. Today and tomorrow are measurements alone. No testing. As far as I understand, they are going to send the measurements to Japan and have a specific set prototyped and geared for the C230 K SS. As to which type of coilovers, I don't know.

When I first talked to him, Jun told me that whatever they send is what is going to be tested on my car. That is either going to be the Basic coilovers or Super Street coilovers. I don't think it'll be the SSP (which is basically the Super Street w/ pillowball mount).

They will be testing the prototype that is sent Japan and not the current prototype, from what I understand. As to what will be involved with the testing when they receive the prototype, I'm not sure. Jun was out sick today, so I didn't get to discuss the details when the prototypes actually arrive.

Hopefully, Jun will be there tomorrow when I pick the car up. I'll discuss the details with him at that time.
Old 04-20-2005 | 06:42 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by tommy
Ahhhh, that's music to my ears!

Thanks again for being the test mule on this. I'd just do a basic quickie check of your car tomorrow and look for any issues before leaving their lot - you never know.
No, prob at all Tommy! Hopefully, dreams do come true!...LOL...Especially for my lazy a$$!

Thanks to you and Tom(nukblazi), not only was my boss cool with me taking 2 days off (which I needed to take anyway because I haven't taken vacation in 1 year), but it also pushed me to be pro-active in getting more and more parts for this car! Since it was suspension I was less hesitant to be the mule, as supposed to Engine mods, which if anything went wrong, there's no way I'd be able to afford fixing those (just in terms of $ concerns). What's even funnier is that my boss is Japanese American, so when she found out it was a Japanese company that wanted to do this with my car, she flipped out and was like, "take the rest of the week off if you need to!"...LOL

I'll definitely be checking my car over tomorrow. I know exactly where the little scratches and such are, so hopefully they aren't careless when they're only doing measurements.

I'll let you all know anymore details I find out from Jun, tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2005 | 11:20 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Update on R&D...

What's up everybody.

Just got back from TEIN.

Not only did they take measurement, but they also fitted my car with some prototype springs. They were kinda vague as to which ones they put on my car, but they're obviously desinged for the 240 or 320.

The reason I say this is that, they kept my stock springs to send to Japan to develop springs specifically geared for the 230 K SS. The prototype springs I think I have on my car right now are S-Tech springs, which are just a direct replacement of the stock sport springs.

Difference in ride height is kinda funny. The back is lower by .5 inch and the front is higher by 1 or 1.25 inches!...LOL...Obviously these are geared for the heavier V6 engine.

So I'm going to be on these prototype springs for about 2-3 weeks and then go back to have the stocks put back on. They are using my stock springs for R&D in order to determine the ideal settings for the lighter w203 (m271) engine. Obviously, weight is a big factor, but I'm sacrificing having a BIG wheel gap in the front for the benefit of everybody that has a 230.

As for everything else, I still didn't get to ask Jun too much about spring rate, etc. because it seems that they won't have a definitive answer until everything is complete with the w203 R&D (research and development).

So, I'll give you all an update later on down the line. For now, I'm guessing for about 7-9 more months of R&D before the products will be mass produced for sales.

I asked if they're interested in a C230 K Coupe for R&D, but they said they already have one that they are using. Don't know if that person is on this board, but chime in if you are on here.

So, now it's a waiting game. I'll be going back there mid-May to get my stock springs put back in.
Old 04-22-2005 | 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
What about C320 Sport Coupés and C320 Sport Sedans ???
Old 04-22-2005 | 06:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Saprissa
What about C320 Sport Coupés and C320 Sport Sedans ???
Saprissa, good question.

I think that the weight distribution for the 320 Sport Sedan, shouldn't be that far off from the luxury 320 or 4-matic 320, however...

the coupe may be a different story. If you're interested or you know anyboy that would be interested in offering your car for R&D with TEIN for the 320 coupe, call and speak with Jun over at TEIN USA. I'm not sure whether or not they plan on doing R&D with the 320 coupe, but you never know.

Their number over there is 562-861-9161. They're located in Downey, CA. It's basically right at the 105/605 junction off the Firestone exit.
Old 04-22-2005 | 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
not too sure on the weight distribution comparison between the C230K Coupe and the C320 Coupe. (60/40 vs 50/50 etc...)
however, overall weight is not too far off from each other, about 110 pounds.

C230K = 1,475 kg = 3,252 lbs
C320 = 1,525 kg = 3,362

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 04-22-2005 | 09:12 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Carlos,

Jun was telling me that they have a C230 K Coupe that they're using for R&D already, but I say check just in case. Jun's a good guy and told me that if anybody has interest in doing R&D to give him a call.

Even though the overall weight isn't too far off, I know that there will definitely be a big difference with the front end (engine side) of the chassis. The evidence is how my car is sitting right now on the prototype springs...LOL...It seriously looks like an airplane either landing or about to take off! The rear lowered 1/2 inch from the stock sport springs, but the front raised up about 1.25 inches!...I can stick my whole hand and 1 extra finger in the front wheel well gap right now.

But I'd say it'd be worth it just to call and find out if TEIN is interested in having the 320 coupe in for fitment/measurements. No matter what, the more measurements they get of the different models, the better it will be for them to develop a true "quality" product.

Originally Posted by Saprissa
not too sure on the weight distribution comparison between the C230K Coupe and the C320 Coupe. (60/40 vs 50/50 etc...)
however, overall weight is not too far off from each other, about 110 pounds.

C230K = 1,475 kg = 3,252 lbs
C320 = 1,525 kg = 3,362

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 05-25-2005 | 08:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

TEIN Update...

What's up everybody!

Been super swamped at work, so I haven't gotten a chance to post on the boards too much.

I just wanted to take some time to update everybody on the progress of development for TEIN supsension on the w203.

I went to TEIN, USA to get my stock springs put back onto my car. For the past month and 1/2, I've been rollin' on either the prototype S. Tech or H. Tech springs for the w203. Only problem is that these were obviously made for the v6 models (240/320) because the back lowered by maybe 1 inch at most and the front raised about 1 inch. Looked really funny, but I dealt with it just so that they could send my stock sport springs to Japan to get all the data they needed.

About 1 1/2 hours after I got there, Jun came out with the engineer that is over at the TEIN, USA location. They said that they didn't want to make me wait to get the rear springs put back on, but the front springs were already fitted (i.e., The car was sitting on stock front springs and TEIN rear prototype springs). I told them that this shouldn't be a problem. When they brought out the car, I told them that I'll come back to get the rear springs re-installed if I need to have my Service B before the prototype coilovers come in.

I spoke with the engineer and he said that it normally takes around 1 month 1/2 for the headquarters in Japan to complete a prototype model, so I'm anticipating by July-August sometime, I'll be looking at bringing my car in again for more R&D. If not, no worries because I was told that the whole process could take quite some time.

As far as the 240/320's, I think they're almost done with those cars because the website is updated to say that the setups available are excluding the wagon and the 230 and they've already listed pricing for the BASIC and SUPER STREET models. As to when they'll actually be released, who knows?

Regardless of how much longer it will be, I'll try to take some pics of how the car looks right now with stock front springs and rear TEIN prototypes. It looks really good IMO. The rear is maybe 1/2 inch lower than stock, but still makes just enough difference. Handling feels about the same (although, I can't seem to remember how the stocks felt together).

Well, stay patient everybody. Before we know it, we'll be talkin' about where we can buy a set, whether it be springs only or height adjustable coilovers or fully adjustable coilovers!

Take care, everybody.
Old 06-28-2005 | 12:40 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Update...

What's up, everybody!

So here's the situation on the R&D. TEIN Basic and SS coilovers are now available for purchase for the w203 240/320 on our cars.

Per TEIN USA website:
BASIC setup is $890 retail (ride height adjustable only)
SUPER STREET setup is $1,400 retail (ride and 16 damper setting adjustable)

Check the TEIN website to find the dealer closest to you.

As for development for suspension parts for the C230 K SS or the coupes, here is what I've found out so far.

They are doing R&D for the S.TECH springs for my car, not for the SS (Super Street) or SS-P (Super Street with Pillowball mount).

I'm not sure if the current BASIC and SUPER STREET coilovers are fully compatible with the 230 K SS or coupes, but I since both setups are ride height adjustable, I can't really imagine why they would not be (despite it being said on their website that this excludes the 230 or wagon) I am awaiting word from the rep on whether it is the case that the Basic/SS/SS-P coilovers will be compatible with 230's as well.

As for the S.TECH springs. I will be completing the R&D for those as soon as the prototypes are sent to the Downey location for them to fit and test on my car.

I will keep you all informed when I find out more information. I'm sad that I'm not going to be getting the Super Street (w/ pillowball mounts), but I have no problem eventually just purchasing the setup (including the EDFC) once it has been made fully available.

If you all have any questions, let me know and I can pass it on to the rep I am working with at TEIN.

drex
Old 06-28-2005 | 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just remember, that when you say: "COUPES"
there are C230K Coupés and C320 Coupés !

BIG difference !!!

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 06-28-2005 | 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Drex - thanks for the update!

Good to see that something's still in the works.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TEIN Basic and Super Street coilovers (Update on post 177)...