C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

a n00b type question about brake lines...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005 | 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
a n00b type question about brake lines...

I've been searching for different brake lines and upgrading mine to kevlar or SS ones. I didn't see if anyone has done it to an 05 yet and I don't really want to resurrect any old threads...

I was wondering if someone please explain to me the advantages of changing the brake lines (all I can understand is that they resist pressure more and thus lower fade).

Also, how much labor is involved? I saw that the lines are relatively cheap (the stoptech and goodridge, any preferences?), so I figured the labor is gonna be the *****...

I take it there's no difference from the brake lines of the pre-05's, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2005 | 01:25 PM

05 C230K SS and 02 C240
I believe most of us use our car as a dayly commuter and don't even consider changing brake lines because it's not a performance issue and won't do you any cosmetic upgrade either. Unless you're using your car for race track all the time. Like you said, they can take more pressure and the one that we have installed right now most likely will expand over time and become brittle.
Old 04-25-2005 | 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could fade my OEM brakes in commuter traffic. The SS lines and super blue or amber fluid will;
1. Increase pedal feel
2. Raise boiling point eliminating fade (pedal to the floor type)

Changing to slotted rotors and sport pads;
3. Decrease stopping distances
4. Provide an escape for gases to escape from between the pad and the rotor eliminating fade (good pedal, no stoppie type)

Let me throw this out there folks;
These cars are SEVERELY UNDER BRAKED and any of you commuters would appreciate the advantages of these upgrades. In addition, if you are the type to hit up a canyon or river run at high speed and get heavy into the brakes, or drive like all the other a-holes on the road doing 90 something in rush hour traffic, YOU WILL APPRECIATE these upgrades. It's just a smart thing to do.

A word of caution;
You're brakes are the ONLY thing stopping you in your 3000+ lbs car on the road. If you don't know how hard this would be to do, pay the hours worth of labor to get them installed properly including a full system fluid flush.

You people and you're *** commuter cars

Tom

Last edited by nukblazi; 04-25-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2005 | 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I second every Tom's word. There is never too much safety. It could be those 5 feet that separate happy end from disaster. Who cares about cosmetics if your life can be at stake? Any type of safety-related upgrade is absolutely worth it - your life can't possibly be less expensive than those, can it?

Just an example: A few years ago I was driving a Volvo S70 following a Porsche Boxster in the left lane of south-bound Rt.50, doing about 55-60 mph in rush hour traffic. All of a sudden, the Porsche guy decides to hit the brakes and make a U-turn across the quad-yellow line. I punched the brake pedal to the floor and missed the idiot by a mere 2-3 feet. When I got home and realized what happened, I thanked myself for putting SS-lines in the front (the rear lines are solid metal + 2 piston calipers -- kudos to Volvo!) and slotted Brembo rotors + Mintex pads on all 4 corners.

Would lighted door sills or chrome door lock pins have been of any help in that situation? Well, be your own judge as to what kind of upgrades you spend money on.
Old 04-25-2005 | 09:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by vadim
Would lighted door sills or chrome door lock pins have been of any help in that situation? Well, be your own judge as to what kind of upgrades you spend money on.
No, but the cops at the scene of the accident would be impressed, and that's what's really important, isn't it?

I've never had a problem with my brakes, but then I've never driven cars back to back, where one had an improved braking system, either. Tom, wanna let me?
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
thanks for the responses guys! I do relate to Tom, I'm the idiot that drives fast and drives going 90 in rush hour traffic. I have an 05, so I already have the perforated rotors, but I think I will change the brake pads to porterfield or whatever brand you guys recommend when the oem pads wear down.

also, how much labor is required to put the lines in? is it a very labor intensive job? I know the lines are pretty cheap, so would the labor be around $300? also, I'm the type not to really check on the brake fluid and such, I know it's bad and I need to start doing it, but what's the recommended brake fluid interval from the factory? and what will it be if I change to a better fluid (brands, recommendations also please)?

thanks!