C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help

Hi,

As you can probably tell, i am a NEWB but i have been reading this forum for a few months now. I am 17 right now and i was planning on saving up alll summer and TRYING to get a newer (2005 or so) c230k BUT my current car (95 chrysler) i dont think is going to last that long. Like all chryslers i think my trans is going so i wanted to sell b4 the cars done and i wont get ANY money for it. Since i am planning on gettin a newer car sooner i wont have the money for the 05 benz ive been dreamin about but i will probably have to settle for something less. I AM VERY PICKY ABOUT BUYIN A NEWER CAR. thats y i do not know if i should get sumthin around a 2002 c230 coupe or a 2001 c240 sedan or somethin like that. i just wanted to know some suggestions on whats better or if i shouldnt get an older MB bcuz of reliability and maintenence costs. i never really liked the c class coupes but i really want a benz and right now that looks like the only thing id b able to get for under $20k. if i dont end up gettin a benz ill probably end up gettin a SCION. PLEASE DONT MAKE ME GO THAT LOW TO GET A JAP. its just not my style. help me out plzzz.

thank you,
blizArd
Old 04-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL203
Get a 02 coupe. I love mine. and there is great potential for mods. Not to mention, if you fold the seats down, you could fit like 6 dead bodies in there.

HAHA
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM

im really thinkin about that but i never have liked them in the past.. probably becuz the back looks alot higher than the front. it looks funny to me.. but if some springs could take care of that problem then i just might get it..ive been lookin thru the pic thread for a nice lowered coupe but havnt found one that i liked yet
Old 04-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by blizArd
Hi,

As you can probably tell, i am a NEWB but i have been reading this forum for a few months now. I am 17 right now and i was planning on saving up alll summer and TRYING to get a newer (2005 or so) c230k BUT my current car (95 chrysler) i dont think is going to last that long. Like all chryslers i think my trans is going so i wanted to sell b4 the cars done and i wont get ANY money for it. Since i am planning on gettin a newer car sooner i wont have the money for the 05 benz ive been dreamin about but i will probably have to settle for something less. I AM VERY PICKY ABOUT BUYIN A NEWER CAR. thats y i do not know if i should get sumthin around a 2002 c230 coupe or a 2001 c240 sedan or somethin like that. i just wanted to know some suggestions on whats better or if i shouldnt get an older MB bcuz of reliability and maintenence costs. i never really liked the c class coupes but i really want a benz and right now that looks like the only thing id b able to get for under $20k. if i dont end up gettin a benz ill probably end up gettin a SCION. PLEASE DONT MAKE ME GO THAT LOW TO GET A JAP. its just not my style. help me out plzzz.

thank you,
blizArd
kids

Get a new Hyundai...10 year/100k warranty...take the remaining ~10k or so and use it to help pay for college...unless you fine with having a used MB being your one and only "cool" car..

Last edited by respdoc; 04-29-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I'd get the tc, honestly. A new one, well equipped, will cost you 18, which might get you into a well-used '02 ccoupe, but it'll be a new car with a warranty that will be infinitely more reliable than a ccoupe. Plus it has more aftermarket support, lighter, more potential, etc. If you don't like the ccoupe, then spending a good chunk of money to buy one makes no sense at all.

The 240 would be an ever worse decision - you could walk somewhere faster.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 PM

a new Hyundai. ha.. y spend your money on somethin you done like. are u going to go to a store and see some jeans for 150$ and say "O I DONT LIKE THESE BUT IM GOING TO GET THEM ANYWAYS". might as well spend 150 on somethin u LIKE. and im not planning on having a car for 10 yrs so y get a 10yr warranty..
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by tommy
I'd get the tc, honestly. A new one, well equipped, will cost you 18, which might get you into a well-used '02 ccoupe, but it'll be a new car with a warranty that will be infinitely more reliable than a ccoupe. Plus it has more aftermarket support, lighter, more potential, etc. If you don't like the ccoupe, then spending a good chunk of money to buy one makes no sense at all.

The 240 would be an ever worse decision - you could walk somewhere faster.

well said.. im still thinkin about this whole thing but thanks for the advice.. this is what i was looking for.. not to get a new Hyundai YOU MOOCH
Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 PM

2019 CLS
a new Hyundai. ha.. y spend your money on somethin you done like. are u going to go to a store and see some jeans for 150$ and say "O I DONT LIKE THESE BUT IM GOING TO GET THEM ANYWAYS". might as well spend 150 on somethin u LIKE. and im not planning on having a car for 10 yrs so y get a 10yr warranty..

Your right, don't waste the 10k on the Hyundai..if your rationalization skills mirror your intelligence level; you'll need the full 20k for the classes..

Last edited by respdoc; 04-29-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I apologize for respdoc - he's a little harsh on newbies; guess the Mydol hasn't kicked in yet. :p
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
#1) Regardless of how old you are, where the money is coming from, how long you're gonna keep the car, get what you want. Obviously if you're looking to get a "new" car, only you can judge what's "affordable" and what is not.

#2) At 17, obviously you can't get credit, so the financing won't be under your name, so that would mean your parents or guardians would be the signatory's to your lease/financing (unless of course you drop all the cash on the car and pay it completely off).

#3) At 17, I would go with a SCION TC. I don't know if you have a job or if you have an allowance or if you make side money at all, but if your budget is for something $20,000 and under, you've gotta be realistic. If you're a young entrepeneur or a millionaire, than I'd be considering even higher end vehicles. But I have to assume, based on the under 20k cap that you'll be working to pay that off at the same time as school?

If that's the case, realistically, a SCION TC, for the money that you pay for it (~$18k) is well worth it. Plus, the performance upgrades will not be anywhere near the amount that they ARE for a Benz (regardless of which model).

I hope that makes sense. When it comes down to it, really just pick what you want. If there are more factors involved in selecting a vehicle, whatever they may be, go with a more "realistic choice".
Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
Originally Posted by tommy
I apologize for respdoc - he's a little harsh on newbies; guess the Mydol hasn't kicked in yet. :p
Why would you say respdoc was being harsh? I'm in his camp on this one: his replies are well put.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
i agree with drexappeal 110%. get something that you really want, but with your realistic means. based on what you've mentioned, you would be spreading yourself thin buy purchasing a new 05 c230k. at 17, there's plenty of time down the road to buy an MB. Ask yourself, why do you really want a Benz at this point in time? Get car that you can financially manage and at the same time attend college. also, since you've been reading these forums for months now, you're going to get caught up in all the mods (cosmetic/perfomance) that members have done done to their cars. that alone will add to the addt'l expenses of the car!

Last edited by NO_WUR_E; 04-29-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by drexappeal
#1) Regardless of how old you are, where the money is coming from, how long you're gonna keep the car, get what you want. Obviously if you're looking to get a "new" car, only you can judge what's "affordable" and what is not.

#2) At 17, obviously you can't get credit, so the financing won't be under your name, so that would mean your parents or guardians would be the signatory's to your lease/financing (unless of course you drop all the cash on the car and pay it completely off).

#3) At 17, I would go with a SCION TC. I don't know if you have a job or if you have an allowance or if you make side money at all, but if your budget is for something $20,000 and under, you've gotta be realistic. If you're a young entrepeneur or a millionaire, than I'd be considering even higher end vehicles. But I have to assume, based on the under 20k cap that you'll be working to pay that off at the same time as school?

If that's the case, realistically, a SCION TC, for the money that you pay for it (~$18k) is well worth it. Plus, the performance upgrades will not be anywhere near the amount that they ARE for a Benz (regardless of which model).

I hope that makes sense. When it comes down to it, really just pick what you want. If there are more factors involved in selecting a vehicle, whatever they may be, go with a more "realistic choice".
well put.. and RESPDOC.. play wit me later ya mooch.. for 1, i wont b modding the car performance wise.. i live in chicago and im not going to b racing anywhere.. there are stopsigns every block. and school.. i have a full scolarship. sorry im not stupid like u other ppl that have to pay ur lifes savings to attend community college
Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
well put.. and RESPDOC.. play wit me later ya mooch.. for 1, i wont b modding the car performance wise.. i live in chicago and im not going to b racing anywhere.. there are stopsigns every block. and school.. i have a full scolarship. sorry im not stupid like u other ppl that have to pay ur lifes savings to attend community college
i praise you for getting a full scholarship (correct spelling) to college. however, i have lost respect for you for bashing people who have to liquidate some of their savings to attend a community college. some people are just not as fortunate as you and have to work a little harder. just because you're book smart doesn't make your more successful or any better than others. you've got a lot of growing up KID!

this member should be banned.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:12 PM

2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
BilzArd

One Comment:

I would get what you can afford to buy and look after now. Maybe you could buy a used Mercedes, but I think you would have to spend a lot of money looking after it. $20K still buys you a lot of new (or nearly new) car, especially at 17. Save yourself something to look forward to.

Two requests:

Please write in whole sentences and without abbreviations everywhere.

Please don't run down people who have had to pay for their college (community or university) just because you are privileged enough to get a scholarship.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
atleast some people have life savings rofl
Old 04-29-2005, 03:30 PM

2019 CLS

If your posted spelling and grammar skills resemble anything you put down on school assignments ...you'll be quite lucky to even get accepted into a community college..
Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 PM

All of you guys are right. I apologize for lashing out and especially for the comment about the life savings and community college. Talking crap over the internet is a bunch of b.s. so i will calmly apologize and hope that i am forgiven. I was just looking for some advice on what would be a better choice for me. I know that a Mercedes is a lot to ask for when you are 17 years old but i got a job so i would be able to buy myself things that i really want. I have been working for 3.5 years already and a being able to buy myself a nice car is one of the main reasons why. I am aware that buying a mercedes is a foolish thing to do unless you have a decent/steady job because of the maintenence and all but if i was able to find a nice 02 c coupe for a reasonable price of around 15-16k, wouldnt you think that is a good deal rather than buying a scion tC or another jap car?

I apologize once again,
blizArd
Old 04-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
All of you guys are right. I apologize for lashing out and especially for the comment about the life savings and community college. Talking crap over the internet is a bunch of b.s. so i will calmly apologize and hope that i am forgiven. I was just looking for some advice on what would be a better choice for me. I know that a Mercedes is a lot to ask for when you are 17 years old but i got a job so i would be able to buy myself things that i really want. I have been working for 3.5 years already and a being able to buy myself a nice car is one of the main reasons why. I am aware that buying a mercedes is a foolish thing to do unless you have a decent/steady job because of the maintenence and all but if i was able to find a nice 02 c coupe for a reasonable price of around 15-16k, wouldnt you think that is a good deal rather than buying a scion tC or another jap car?

I apologize once again,
blizArd
Don't apologize, blizArd. Like I was saying in my post, you buy what you feel you can afford and what you want. If you feel you have the ambition and drive to maintain and pay for the vehicle, go for it! That's what makes this country great is that a kid (sorry, but had to say kid cuz I'm 10 years your senior), at 17, can consider purchasing a quality made vehcile that quite possibly and most likely will last very long.

On the flip side, you have to consider that maintainance of an MB would be twice as much as many of the vehicles on the market that are in your price range. If you have a mechanic who is familiar with Benz's or have a hook up, then it's definitely worth considering.

If you're not going to be modding the car much, then a pre-owned MB might be a very good choice. My experiences with MB's have been positive (purchased an E class for my parents a couple years ago - not all cash, so don't think I'm "blingin" or nothin'). Just make sure that you don't make a rash choice is all.

On the contrary to a lot of people's opinions, I think it's great for you to consider purchasing an MB, but don't make the decision just because it's an MB or because you think it'll get more girls or because you "think" it'll last longer than other vehicles in your price range.

My best advice that I can give you is this. Sit down and write on a piece of paper all the possibilities for vehicles that you could choose (however many cars you are considering purchasing). For each vehicle, right down the pros and cons (good vs. bad; possible long term costs vs. short term costs; how long you'll have the car vs. short term use for future purchase; etc...)

At this point, it'll allow you to make a good, rational and well thought out decision. If a pre-owned MB is something that you really, really want, do some research on these boards as well as to problems, issues, malfunctions that many people have had with the w203 model (either sedan or coupe). You could also research SCION TC message boards , as well or any other message boards for vehicles you are considering.

I hope you make a well thought out decision. It'll help you in the long term. Trust me, at this point in my life, I've learned that the hard way. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Talking

im really thinkin about that but i never have liked them in the past.. probably becuz the back looks alot higher than the front. it looks funny to me.. but if some springs could take care of that problem then i just might get it..ive been lookin thru the pic thread for a nice lowered coupe but havnt found one that i liked yet
How can you say that !!! My feelings are hurt !
Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by drexappeal
If you're not going to be modding the car much, then a pre-owned MB might be a very good choice. My experiences with MB's have been positive (purchased an E class for my parents a couple years ago - not all cash, so don't think I'm "blingin" or nothin'). Just make sure that you don't make a rash choice is all.
Elaborate? Non-new cars cannot be modded??
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Saprissa
How can you say that !!! My feelings are hurt !
is that a pshop? damn thats low. rub much?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by ctC230K
Elaborate? Non-new cars cannot be modded??
For the price range he stated earlier (20k or under), unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any MB's that he could get brand new for that price.

So new cars definitely can be modded, but I was more referring to the price range he had stated. He also stated that he wouldn't be modding the car much, so if he purchased a pre-owned Mercedes, the quality may be just as good as purchasing a new car of another Make (in terms of "long term" outlook).
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ctC230K
is that a pshop? damn thats low. rub much?
NO photoshop. Real deal. With NO rubbing.
CARLSSON RS & BILSTEIN fully-adjustable suspension.
AMG sway bars (front & rear).
Tires -
front: 225/45 rear: 245/40 17" MICHELIN Pilot Sports
on AMG twin 5-spoke Style IV chrome wheels. No spacer yet, thinking of adding a 5mm or 8mm H&R hubcentric to the rear, just to widen the rear look.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Saprissa
NO photoshop. Real deal. With NO rubbing.
CARLSSON RS & BILSTEIN fully-adjustable suspension.
AMG sway bars (front & rear).
Tires -
front: 225/45 rear: 245/40 17" MICHELIN Pilot Sports
on AMG twin 5-spoke Style IV chrome wheels. No spacer yet, thinking of adding a 5mm or 8mm H&R hubcentric to the rear, just to widen the rear look.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
how bout 4 people in the car? LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help