C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ignition Timing question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Ignition Timing question?

I was wondering if the C230's ECU is capable of advancing the timing? I know if it senses engine knock it will retard it. But if you get cooler intake temps does it advance it at all. For instances, say I get a bigger intercooler, will it see that and advance the timing for more power? Would it do it on the fly? Im thinking this would require a custom ECU program to see any power gains. BTW, Im not talking about in the summer when the IC becomes heatsoaked, where the bigger IC would just keep you from loosing power.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
I was wondering if the C230's ECU is capable of advancing the timing?
Thanks for the help!
Yes. It has manual adjustments for fuel quality that are basically just timing changes. You'll need a star diagnosis system to make the change.

It won't get you more HP by itself. What it will do, is prevent you from loosing some HP on a warm day on a pullied car...if you run high octane gas.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Acutally what I was thinking is using water & methanol injection. My father just installed it on his Shelby Cobra and that allowed us to bring the timing back up to almost that of a N/A engine. It was about a 50 HP difference (Going to get it redynoed and retuned and timed professionally asap!). Granted that is a 351 CID engine, Im not expecting any gains like that. But using this along with a new pulley should let me advance the timing to see even better gains than just a pullied car. This is similar to having a bigger intercooler as this drops the charge temp down approx. 60 degrees. But I guess if the current intercooler is good enough for a pullied car in the middle of summer where it prevents preigniton, than this system will not do that much for me. Also, if anyone here has had any experience with water injection, when the engine is taken apart you will see almost no carbon build up, which has recently been a concern of some on this board with the M271 engine. One more thing, but I doubt I will use it, is they make a chemical that when properly mixed with the methanol/water mix becomes like injecting a little alcohol into the air for more power .Yeah, I know thats a little rice, but like I said, I probably wont do this, I want to use this mainly as an inexpensive alternate to getting a bigger intercooler, and to help keep the engine clean. It is also a system that obviously only needs to be used on warm days (Im going to try and install an intake temp switch so that it only goes on when the intake is at a certian temp and pressure. Obviously after the intercooler.)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had a larger intercooler the timing did advance slightly but nowhere near enough to compensate for the pressure loss. For example, the 40F difference had about 1 1/2 degrees difference in timing. Easy enough to check with an OBD-II scanner.