C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Too late for Comand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230wz 6M
Too late for Comand?

Vehicle is on the ship, priority 1, scheduled for arrival in Baltimore on 14 May. Is Comand something that is normally installed at VPC, or is it too late? I've been a big pest to the dealer so far, would rather ask you guys first...

Once the iPod hookup is available, is it safe to assume info will be displayed on the navi? I know it's not necessary to have Comand for the iPod, but it sure woud look a lot cooler.

BTW, this 5-speed loaner (2005 C230 Sedan) is a dog. OK, maybe not a dog, but it certainly doesn't do this car justice. Can't wait for my 6-speed to arrive.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
COMAND can be done after the fact by either the dealer, yourself, or people who travel around the world performing such modifications.

The answer to your iPod question has been posted; no, it will not show on the COMAND. For further information as to why and what will show on your COMAND, search for the previous thread.

Hope your new car is more satisfying than the loaner!

-s-
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by scorchie
COMAND can be done after the fact by either the dealer, yourself, or people who travel around the world performing such modifications.

The answer to your iPod question has been posted; no, it will not show on the COMAND. For further information as to why and what will show on your COMAND, search for the previous thread.

Hope your new car is more satisfying than the loaner!

-s-

Yeah, have tried the searches...I start to go blind after while sifting through them.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the 5-speed. In manual-shift mode, it's got a bit more pep to it, and is certainly more than adequate for every-day driving. Whether or not the 6'er is much faster (despite quicker posted 0-60 times), it sures feels faster and really takes advantage of the car's high-band torque. Plus, inside that shell, there car could have just 70 HP and I would still consider buying it.=)

Thanks for the clarification. Seems kind of silly for them to call the navi a COMAND "center" and have it control nothing except the navigation system and radio, esp for that $$$.

Anyway, cheers.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by delbomber
Yeah, have tried the searches...I start to go blind after while sifting through them.
Anyway, cheers.
Aren't you glad that this forum provides such a wealth of information. It probably answered most, if not all of your questions already.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Aren't you glad that this forum provides such a wealth of information. It probably answered most, if not all of your questions already.
Well once I'm a physical owner myself, hopefully I'll be answering just as many questions as I ask....

Everyone else start nodding off....NOW....

As far as my questions go, I always run a search first...but sometimes, they just don't produce enough results (or too much) and it's simply easier to ask. You'll see I said "I know the Comand isn't necessary for the iPod" and I found that by searching, but didn't run across anything that mentioned if it enhances it. Besides, I think posts defending questions that may have answers buried in thousands of lines of text are less boring than reading someone defend their question-asking.

And yes, this is an AMAZING resource...very glad I stumbled upon it. One curious thing though...why is the front page (www.mbworld.org) so outdated? Wait, don't answer that...let me run a search first...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Seems kind of silly for them to call the navi a COMAND "center" and have it control nothing except the navigation system and radio, esp for that $$$.
it also controls the clock so the car always has the right time
Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the clarification. Seems kind of silly for them to call the navi a COMAND "center" and have it control nothing except the navigation system and radio, esp for that $$$.
The COMAND, outside of the USA, or in various models, is no longer integrated with the navigation. Yes, even for the new C-/CLK- class... the navigation drive is a separate module like the MCS in the M-class... which is basically because in the USA, it is not a COMAND. It is an MCS2.

COMAND in my car is the interface for the radio, CD changer, internal CD, DVD video, TV tuner, satellite radio tuner, telephone, web browser, and Playstation. As also pointed out, it does have a clock as well, and a fairly decent database which can serve as "yellow pages".

Just because you don't or won't hook anything up to yours... isn't fair to say it only controls the radio and navigation.

p.s. the reason searches return so much useless information is because people keep asking the same questions over and over again without doing a search. We may as well just disable the feature.

-s-
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 AM

05 C230wz 6M
COMAND in my car is the interface for the radio, CD changer, internal CD, DVD video, TV tuner, satellite radio tuner, telephone, web browser, and Playstation. As also pointed out, it does have a clock as well, and a fairly decent database which can serve as "yellow pages".

Just because you don't or won't hook anything up to yours... isn't fair to say it only controls the radio and navigation.

p.s. the reason searches return so much useless information is because people keep asking the same questions over and over again without doing a search. We may as well just disable the feature.

-s-
Ok, so it's an entertainment and communication center, still not really a "command" center.

I love the search function, would hate to see it go. The problem, which is inherent in almost every search tool, is when common words are part of the search. Searching for "ipod comand" turns up a fair share of results, but making it any more specific like "ipod comand display" renders it useless. And sometimes, the search just doesn't work. Trying to find the difference between C230k and C230wz sedans, for instance. Can't search for "wz" because it is too short, but try searching for terms like "C230wz C230k differences" etc, and see what comes up. It's easier to just ask...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Ok, so it's an entertainment and communication center, still not really a "command" center.
And Mercedes never claimed it was a "command" center.

According to page 165 of the Comand Operator's manual:

CO-MAN-D = CO-ckpit MAN-agement and D-ata System

Information and operating center for vehicle sound and communications systems, including the radio and CD player, as well as for other optional equipment (CD changer, telephone, etc.)
Old 05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's correct. Most of us never said it is a "COMMAND" center, it is a "COMAND" center (which stands for, C0ckpit MANagement Display ... or as mick pointed out "and Data" depending on which time of year you check their acronyms ... but he really has an MCS2, not a COMAND). You also initially wrote "COMAND" and not "command".

Are you a BMW owner or something, and didn't read anything about Mercedes before buying one? (This is not a sarcastic comment, i'm actually curious.)

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 05-11-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

I love the search function, would hate to see it go. The problem, which is inherent in almost every search tool, is when common words are part of the search. Searching for "ipod comand" turns up a fair share of results, but making it any more specific like "ipod comand display" renders it useless. And sometimes, the search just doesn't work. Trying to find the difference between C230k and C230wz sedans, for instance. Can't search for "wz" because it is too short, but try searching for terms like "C230wz C230k differences" etc, and see what comes up. It's easier to just ask...
Yes it is easier on the lazy ones. But how good is the information you receive if you only rely on voluntary answers to your questions. Did you even try the advanced feature to help narrow it down? I'm sorry; that probably didn't show up in your initial search. :v

Are you a BMW owner or something, and didn't read anything about Mercedes before buying one? (This is not a sarcastic comment, i'm actually curious.)

-s-
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 PM

05 C230wz 6M
That's correct. Most of us never said it is a "COMMAND" center, it is a "COMAND" center (which stands for, C0ckpit MANagement Display ... or as mick pointed out "and Data" depending on which time of year you check their acronyms ... but he really has an MCS2, not a COMAND). You also initially wrote "COMAND" and not "command".

-s-
You don't call it Comand, MB does. Clearly, they are trying to impart some sense of vehicle management. Stereo and navigation are nice, but beyond that, it's not much of a "command" center, convenient acronym or not. Sorry for criticizing an MB feature. Didn't realize these cars were beyond reproach.

I did a ton of research before buying this car, just never saw what was so fascinating about a $2000 phone/radio/navigation control center. Now if this expanded upon and was integrated more completely than the multi-function display in the dash, THEN it might truly be worthy of the COMAND monicker.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:41 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Yes it is easier on the lazy ones. But how good is the information you receive if you only rely on voluntary answers to your questions. Did you even try the advanced feature to help narrow it down? I'm sorry; that probably didn't show up in your initial search. :v
Face it, the search can't return answers for every question. You have wasted 10x more energy defending it than by simply chiming in with an answer or ignoring my question.

Worse, many of the responses I find with answers are from 2003 or earlier. Could it be that an updated answer might be available by re-asking?

I'll continue to search for answers, but when the results are not satisfactory or take more than 10 minutes of sorting for a simple answer, I don't think it's too discourteous to ask.

Cheers.

Last edited by delbomber; 05-11-2005 at 01:59 PM.