C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-Class in UK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by C320 UK
Just thouhght I'd clear things up, I live in the UK and we do have to pay income tax. As stated the top / highest rate is currently 40%.

We then have 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) on almost all good purchased, plus fuel duty & VAT on fuel (Petrol / Gas & Diesel) Almost 80% of our 'gas' price is made up of some form of tax

We have local Tax (called Council Tax) that is a variable amount (not a percentage) roughly based on the value of you home. The more expensive your home the more you pay! This covers for local policing, fire service, libraries and waste collection.

University education is no longer free here (although it's certainly cheaper than in the States). Although education up to high school is generally 'free' and healthcare.

Many organisations do offer company cars and private health insurance. In fact for many jobs it's expected that you get a car (irresepctive of whether it's really essential for the role) It's to do with creating a flexible benefits package to attract / retain employees. Guess what - if you have a comoany car we also have a company car tax! Because of this many firms now offer a car allowance allowing people to lease whatever they want without Company Car Tax (but the allowance is subject to Income Tax!). This is why you see so many 'decent' cars around, I think I recall reading that over 30% of new cars here are company cars.

Tax on almost everything in the UK & it keeps rising! Rant over
Whew, glad I had my facts straight...although not for your sake! Wish I had been overstating them...

Might have to move here for a while in the upcoming months, (retaining my US comp, thank god), but here's the worst part....my dog would have to be quarantined for six months...SIX MONTHS. He would die of a broken heart thinking I'd abandoned him. ok, totally off topic...but interesting, nonetheless.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:44 AM

2002 C320 (full AMG styling) - Brilliant Silver / Ash Leather (Orion Grey)
Originally Posted by delbomber
Whew, glad I had my facts straight...although not for your sake! Wish I had been overstating them...

Might have to move here for a while in the upcoming months, (retaining my US comp, thank god), but here's the worst part....my dog would have to be quarantined for six months...SIX MONTHS. He would die of a broken heart thinking I'd abandoned him. ok, totally off topic...but interesting, nonetheless.
One thing you may have noticed in your trip or from your British colleagues is that we LOVE to moan but won't complain about anything! Ask how we're doing and most Brits will just say 'not bad' or 'okay'...

Don't get me wrong it's great living in the UK and I'm sure you'll love it if you come over. I spent just 3 months in the US when I was a student on a 'work exchange' programme, it was fantastic. Spent a couple of months in Colorado, travelled a bit and then spent a month with my cousins in the Bay Area - Had an excellent time I always look forward to coming to the US.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
now i see why we had that whole 'revolution thing' a couple hundred years ago. UK taxes = death!! lol!
does that price difference translate to salaries too? would someone making $40,000 make £40,000?
OK here is the plan: purchase everything in France then hire a scubadiver to drag it underwater through the Channel. well it would work for ipods atleast lol!

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1.83070 USD United States Dollars

WOW i seem to remember when a pound was around $1.30.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver at your service... FYI Divers are EXPENSIVE. Commercial divers start at over $50k a year for less than 6 months of work. Move up to oil rig dives and they make in excess of $120k for 1 month on one month off. Oh and they also require like 3 days between dives to decompress!

You're better off paying the taxes!

Easiest way to do it is make a mini sub towable and tow it at about 20 feet below. then when you get closer to shore drop it and mark the Lat/Lon on a GPS and dive and get it later. Youll be able to smuggle more and wont require long dives (20 miles is impossible with two tanks, and you find a diver that will want to carry more than two!)
Old 05-26-2005, 03:30 AM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by ctC230K
now i see why we had that whole 'revolution thing' a couple hundred years ago. UK taxes = death!! lol!
does that price difference translate to salaries too? would someone making $40,000 make £40,000?
OK here is the plan: purchase everything in France then hire a scubadiver to drag it underwater through the Channel. well it would work for ipods atleast lol!

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1.83070 USD United States Dollars

WOW i seem to remember when a pound was around $1.30.
In my co, if someone was in a grade making $40k in the US they would make about £18k in the UK in the same grade...about 80% of the US equivalent even with the extreme exchange rate. Included with that though is a car allowance of several hundred pounds/mo (higher, obviously, with higher salaries), free health insurance, a few more weeks vacation and about a week or so more of company holidays. Oh, and London has the second highest cost of living in the world, 20% higher than NYC which is 12th. A lot of guys live in the countryside to compensate.

Great city though. There are nice stretches that are, or seem, bigger than all of Philly.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I discovered years ago that Brittons consider cheating the tax man a matter of national pride.

The folks in London driving the bling are masters of the sport.

One of my pals lives a flat occupied since WWII by his family, and his monthly rent is only two quid, so there is a Merc (in the local parlence) in his garage.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:26 AM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by Moviela
I discovered years ago that Brittons consider cheating the tax man a matter of national pride.

The folks in London driving the bling are masters of the sport.

One of my pals lives a flat occupied since WWII by his family, and his monthly rent is only two quid, so there is a Merc (in the local parlence) in his garage.
Two pounds is ludicrous. There's rent-control in NYC, but not to that level...and it's slowly being phased out...

Something tells me George Harrison was one of those people

if you drive a car, I’ll tax the street;
if you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat;
if you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat;
if you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.