C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My AC Suks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C180K
Don't forget to check the filter as well. In the SLK its underneath the glovebox compartment...never found out where the filter is in the C-Class.

If your environment is especially dusty, the dust will choke up the filter fairly quickly and less air will be drawn through the blower.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Moviela
Since cars started using 134a, ac has suffered, no wonder the Indians (curry type) have refused to stop using R12, its hot in Calcutta!

Here is a basic primer on automotive AC: http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/ac1.htm

Some interesting checks to make on your car is to put a small thermometer in the vent. You should read less than 40 F. The compressor inlet pressure is near the actual temperature in the evaporator. 30F will be 26.1 psig for 134a, 35F will be 30.4, and 40F will be 34.1 psig. If your pressure is higher, the temperature in your car will be higher. There is no difference between analog or digital controls in respect to how the compressor circulates the 134a.

Some tips to get cool faster....

When you first open the car, open all windows and sunroof and run fan on high to expel hot air from the cabin. One to two minutes is enough.

Close the windows, and set the system to recirculate to cool only the air in the cabin. A low to medium speed blower will reduce cabin temperature faster. Setting the temperature control lower will not cool the car faster.

When the temperature is comfortable, you can turn recirculate off. This will open a door to the outside air. The blower will then draw this air over the evaporator and cool it. If the car becomes too hot, lower the blower speed, so the air has more time in contact with the evaporator to cool it.

Examine hoses and fittings in the ac system. Any stain or oil on a fitting or hose should be investigated as a possible leak. If the system is opened for any reason, make sure it is evacuated for at least 45 minutes, and leak tested before adding 134a. This is to boil off any moisture in the system.
thanks for the info!! i always do that, open all windows before getting in the car, but i turn the fan speed to max with A/C button on. i don't usually use recirculate unless i'm following a smelly truck or car. that's it. it's never ice cold, just cool which is not acceptable for a brand new car.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
My AC Blows

cold air that is.....

The best AC I ever had was on my Toyota Celica...if it was too humid, it would frost the vents.
The Supra I bought after that was no where near as cold. Other cars paled by comparison.
So I have a high expectation, the MB system is quite adequate if used correctly.

Last edited by Rick; 06-08-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
The car's interior will be cooler if you use recirculate on a hot day. Just think about it, you are cooling all-ready-cooled air vs. trying to cool hot air. I don't stink too bad so I don't have a problem with using recirculate for as long as I need to on hot days
Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230K Coupé
I just got back from palm springs today. When i got into my car, the temp guage read 100 degress, and i could barily breathe. Rolled down the windows, turned on the A/C, and 5 min later rolled the windows back up and it was nice and chill in the car. So i wouldn't say there's anything bad bout my ac
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
The car's interior will be cooler if you use recirculate on a hot day. Just think about it, you are cooling all-ready-cooled air vs. trying to cool hot air.
Thats what MAX AIR is all about.

Originally Posted by Jim Banville
I don't stink too bad so I don't have a problem with using recirculate for as long as I need to on hot days
Says who? I didn't see a posted poll on this!

BTW
Thanx for admitting it but we truely need a poll for the rest of the story.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:08 AM

05' C230 Kompressor SS Mars Red 6speed--1990 300D 5speed
for the people that have a new 2005 C ...when you turn on the are air those a really bad smell come out? because that happens to me most of the time i turn mine on....is it because its new or is there something wrong?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
yeah there is always gonna be a really humid, hot gross smell that comes out at first, i think that's just how it is
Old 06-09-2005, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by AdamVax
for the people that have a new 2005 C ...when you turn on the are air those a really bad smell come out? because that happens to me most of the time i turn mine on....is it because its new or is there something wrong?

There is something wrong. I have a new C, and it smells like leather and the "new car smell." Unless you park next to a meat packing plant, you should smell nothing other than fresh air.

Air Conditioning removes moisture from the air as it cools it. The moisture condenses on the evaporator in the dash. All cars have a way for this water to be collected, and a hose drops it on the street. If the hose is clogged or worse disconnected inside the car. The water will support all manner of molds and bacteria that not only stink, but are dangerous to your health. I once had a Mustang that had mushrooms growing in the carpet on the passenger side because the water was dripping on the floor.

I would ask the dealer to take a good sniff, and fix the problem. Make sure your complaint is in writing too, many times they will simply spray some cleaner in the vents and send you down the road. Two months later you look like Cousteau on the autobahn because of the scuba mask you are wearing to avoid the stink.

First you should try to describe the smell. Is it biological, chemical, electrical, or just funky bad. If it is reasonable that the manufacturer or dealer contributed to the cause of the stink, you should ask for a permanent fix. They might need to replace the whole air distribution system, or hand you the keys to your new car.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:16 AM

05' C230 Kompressor SS Mars Red 6speed--1990 300D 5speed
thanks Moviela that was good info....its not like its a really really bad smell but i dont thinks its normal for new cars to make that smell... im going to go take it in to the dealership to see going on
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Moviela
There is something wrong. I have a new C, and it smells like leather and the "new car smell." Unless you park next to a meat packing plant, you should smell nothing other than fresh air.

Air Conditioning removes moisture from the air as it cools it. The moisture condenses on the evaporator in the dash. All cars have a way for this water to be collected, and a hose drops it on the street. If the hose is clogged or worse disconnected inside the car. The water will support all manner of molds and bacteria that not only stink, but are dangerous to your health. I once had a Mustang that had mushrooms growing in the carpet on the passenger side because the water was dripping on the floor.

I would ask the dealer to take a good sniff, and fix the problem. Make sure your complaint is in writing too, many times they will simply spray some cleaner in the vents and send you down the road. Two months later you look like Cousteau on the autobahn because of the scuba mask you are wearing to avoid the stink.

First you should try to describe the smell. Is it biological, chemical, electrical, or just funky bad. If it is reasonable that the manufacturer or dealer contributed to the cause of the stink, you should ask for a permanent fix. They might need to replace the whole air distribution system, or hand you the keys to your new car.
oh crap. that makes me wonder... i did disconnect the water drainage tube right next to the battery but I put it back together, I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. it's a smell like you would get if you walked into a very small glass room that has been closed up and in the sun all day, it lasts for about 3 seconds as soon as you start the car on a very hot day and turn the air on.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM

Just an update on my warm A/C. We took it to the dealer and they said there was some defective gasket or something that caused all the freon to leak out and fixed it under warranty (they called it freon, but I thought they don't use that anymore??). And we never noticed anything puddling under the car. Our car is less than a year old and very low mileage. Is it possible that the factory underfilled it? So anyway, now it's very cold again, so if you have warm A/C, make sure you get it checked out.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Banned

The 01-04 C-Classes has better AC/Heating overall. 05 is terrible
Old 08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mb-scott
Just an update on my warm A/C. We took it to the dealer and they said there was some defective gasket or something that caused all the freon to leak out and fixed it under warranty (they called it freon, but I thought they don't use that anymore??). And we never noticed anything puddling under the car. Our car is less than a year old and very low mileage. Is it possible that the factory underfilled it? So anyway, now it's very cold again, so if you have warm A/C, make sure you get it checked out.
The "new" freeon that is used automatically disintegrates upon leaking. You are correct in saying that they discountinued using the "freeon" before in the old format. Freeon that is used nowadays is not toxic in comparison to the old chemicals that were used before.

This was recently explained to me from an air conditioning expert that my cousin brought his Mitsubishi Galant to. A similar thing happened to him and just hot air was blowing out.

Either way, as long as they fixed it under warranty, you shouldn't have any further problems.

drex
Old 08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
mine was tested and it's fine, 40º at the vent.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 PM

'05 C230K SS - Obsidian Black
Mine works just fine...

Haven't had any problems with my A/C to this point (3k miles). No problems with the smell issue either. But one observation (and this may be in regards to the smell issue) is that every morning as I back out of my garage, a small trail of water drops on the ground follows me out to the street. I assume at this point that this is the A/C condensation drain working correctly. At least I hope that's what it is....
Old 08-01-2005, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
omg thanks for bumping this thread lol
got my car back from service they claim its fixed but its not ....i just went to lunch its about 90 outside.... my a/c was cranked to 6 bars (out of 7 i believe) and i really didnt feel like it was doing much...i dont want to be without my car for another week so maybe this is just how mb's a/cs are?
i do believe the c240 loaner i got had some sort of strength from the fan at at least 4 notches