C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Have you EVER used your cassette tape deck? (plugging in CD players doesn't count)
Yes, I have actually listened to a tape.
36.57%
What is a cassette tape?
63.43%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Have you EVER used your cassette tape deck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yes, use it everyday (mp3, laptop, etc.)

Originally posted by paulmoody
Yes, I use my cassette deck every day. Not for cassettes mind you (I'm not a dinosaur : ). I have one of those tape deck insert/connectors that has a mini-plug for plugging into other devices. I have several devices i use with it. Always in the car is an Awia XPZ3C 3" mini-cd mp3 player (holds about 4 hours of mp3 music on a $0.50 cdr). Often I use my pen-sized Sony mp3 player. On my longer commutes, I listen to Audible.com books via my thinkpad laptop (yes, I've got a 12v power supply for it). I also have had several passengers plug in their devices (typically cd players, but ipods, mp3, etc. too).

I did have to file a small notch in the faceplate door's corner for the cable to come out of the faceplate (without pinching the cable). You'd never see if I didn't point it out. I then hid the cable by wedging it around the edge of the audio and climate control panels, and into the ashtray area - there I connect whatever device I'm wanting to use. The awia has this cool cradle that recharges it, and it happens to fit in the empty panel below the radio - it looks like it was made for the car!.

So for me - the cassette was the best decision they could have made (unless they had included a 'line-in' since I like using my laptop's audio for books). Second best would be to have a 6 cd-changer that supports mp3 discs (most will play cdr, but only if audio files - mp3 is 11 times more efficient, and 1 regular cd holds over 10 of my favorite cds).

The other day, my 13year old found a cassette tape in a drawer, and asked what it was! He of course has mp3 cd players. I don't think he's ever hear music from vinyll!

Hey paulmoody,

Where and how did you drill this hole exactly? I am having the exact same problem. I want to use my mini disk player but the adapter requires me to close the tape deck. could you post how you drilled the hole.. thanks much appreciated..
Old 04-10-2003, 06:42 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan/2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT/1996 328i (Gone)/1988 190E 2.3 (Gone)
Re: Have you EVER used your cassette tape deck?

Originally posted by Nola
I'm out to prove that MB was totally out of touch with the market when they made this decision.

I found one! Found a tape in my garage, inside a 20-yr-old answering machine! Now I can listen to my messages in the car, wow, what a great idea. MB rules!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
I couldn't believe why they put the tape player in but not the CD player on the dash... real weird. I haven't bought tapes since 1995.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:15 PM

2017 GLE 350 Wifey, 2005 C55 AMG
Can you still buy cassette tapes?, Even when my car was new i see no reason why it was installed. Oh well extra storage space.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:12 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
I thought that it was going to be used for a new cassette-based NAV system since they are having such a time getting the DVD version out.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:16 AM
3_P

C230
I tripped out when I saw the display flip down for the cassette tape opening! Well, I won't listen to any tapes, but I did buy a tape adapter so that I can hook up my Apple IPOD MP3 player! Now, I don't have to worry about only 6 CD's in the changer.....With my IPOD I have over 5000 songs at my convenience!!
Old 04-13-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
We use ours all the time - when the stereo is on at all - virtually everything we have on CD is also on tape. I haven't bothered with the CD changer install, and may not based on all of the failures and various problems that people have reported.

But then we also go long periods both around town and on trips without having the stereo switched on - I realize this is an alien concept to most of the people on this forum, but in the 42 years I've been driving, I only consider music essential for ultra-long, multi-hour trips. We find real conversation works well, or silence that allows you to actually think....oops, another minority idea - that thinking might actually be facilitated by silence.

Based on the volume and bass level of most of the cars in our town, I must presume there is a whole generation that can't function without 95 db blasting in their ears...we come from a different perspective on this. The sound system in the car is absolutely at the very bottom of the list of things that I consider when buying a car - most of the time, it doesn't make the list at all...