C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Not to beat a dead audio horse...but I actually LIKE the standard audio!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to beat a dead audio horse...but I actually LIKE the standard audio!

Hey all, I know this has been out there about a million times, but was wondering why I don't mind the standard audio in the c230k when just about everyone here seems to hate it. It's not that I don't listen to bass heavy music because I definitely hear it in the genres I listen to. (Pop/Rock/R&B/Top 40/Alternative/ and yes, even some country) Anyway, I much prefer the audio in the MB than the 2000 Impala it replaces. I only have the bass turned up about half way and it still shakes the mirrors nicely. And yes, I do know what a nice system sounds like and the car doesn't hold a candle to the system in my living room, but I'm just trying to figure out what everyone's complaint is with the system and why mine doesn't seem to have the problem. It was built in 3/02 and I was wondering if maybe they changed something or if you guys just think I'm tone deaf?

Well, end of beating the dead audio horse I guess.

$0.02 from dave
Old 06-29-2002, 11:45 PM

2002 C320
I like mine too!

Glad to hear someone else likes their MB sound system! I was almost embarrassed to admit how much I am ejoying the much disparaged Bose system amongst all these audio snobs
Old 06-29-2002, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Me too! And I've got about 10 grand sunk in an amp and speakers at home!
Remember, its a car, you drive cars and listen to engines not stereos!
Old 06-30-2002, 12:01 AM

You guys don't think the sound is too bright? I mean, really high pitched... ear shattering. You almost can't listen to it loud. I don't know.. it really really irks me to listen to it.

My brother has a Cavalier, nothing special.. stock and it's way better. The wife just sold her old Accent (yes Hyundai) and it didn't sound this bad. I don't know, I hate it.

She isn't even in to stereo and she can't even stand it.. now that is saying somthing@!

I'm definelty going to replace it. I'll keep you guys posted. But like anyone will say, if you like it, keep it! THat just saves you alot of $$$$$
Old 06-30-2002, 12:56 AM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
I really dont turn up my stereo very loud, Idid replace every thing, I listened to the Bose system before I ordered my car it sounds worse than the base system, like mud .
no highs no lows must be bose
Old 06-30-2002, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by schwarz c230
I really dont turn up my stereo very loud, Idid replace every thing, I listened to the Bose system before I ordered my car it sounds worse than the base system, like mud .
no highs no lows must be bose
You may have been listening with the "ambience" setting set to "Speech". That setting has no treble or bass response. My car was set to that when I picked it up. I was extremely disappointed. The "ambience" setting is now set on "Driver". It is much much better, but the bass is still weak.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see that at least one of you has a C320, you're in a different league than the C230. First you get Bose standard, second you have more and better speakers in better locations. Yes the C320 audio system sounds way better than the stock C230 and even way better than the Bose on the C230. Even the standard C240 sounds better than the C230. And some people don't like to hear every note played on a bass guitar, but I do. I can tell you that on a C230 the cassette radio bass set to 10 is like the audio 10 set to about 5 or 6. Also I like an in dash CD. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the changer, that's why I have both. My wife drives my car, she can pop in her CD without messing with my changer.

If I had a C320 I would not have gotten the Audio 10, but I don't so I did.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2002, 04:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by SilverCi
You guys don't think the sound is too bright? I mean, really high pitched... ear shattering. You almost can't listen to it loud. I don't know.. it really really irks me to listen to it.

My brother has a Cavalier, nothing special.. stock and it's way better. The wife just sold her old Accent (yes Hyundai) and it didn't sound this bad. I don't know, I hate it.

She isn't even in to stereo and she can't even stand it.. now that is saying somthing@!

I'm definelty going to replace it. I'll keep you guys posted. But like anyone will say, if you like it, keep it! THat just saves you alot of $$$$$
wondering what kind of music do you listen to because it sounds like you are use to those crappy sound system that came with the domestic cars. no offense. a good stereo system can easily seperate the high, mid, and low pitch. it makes the sound you are listening to more clearly. the reason you can turn the music loud in the Cavalier is because the output range of the system is not that good/clear and the sound gets muffled when the volume is low.

the easiest way to test the sound system is to get one of the cincinnati pops orchestra's CDs.

it is true that there is a difference between the C230 coupe and the C sedan because the coupe only has 7 speakers and the sedan has 10 when equipt with BOSE optional sound system.

BTW go to one of those BOSE stereo stores.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:03 PM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
Everything is relative

OK I haven't got into this discussion for a "one over you" kind of thing...(there is always going to be someone with a BIGGER,better and possibly more expensive toy)I have a Hi-Fi system in my front room that easily exceeds the cost of my Mercedes Benz ...by over twice as much !!!...my point is...that considerable improvements can be made to the stock MB audio system for relatively little financial outlay (whether or not you choose to...is a personal decision)...Just bare in mind the law of diminshing returns...i.e. a £200,000 system is not neccessarily going to be qualitatively speaking ten times as good as a £20,000 system...and yet a £2,000 system is likely to appear(sound)four times better than a £500 system
Please consider that my views do not include "pride of ownership" in the equation
Old 06-30-2002, 03:24 PM

c230 Coupe
i am a recording engineer for a living... i live in recording studios 24/7 and know all about different aspects of sound. i have the bose system in my c230 and personally i dont have any problem with the sound... it is very clean and flat. i think that maybe when some people turn it all the way up and expect to hear booming bass and screeching highs this is where the system falls short. it simply doesnt have the power to be played loud and maintain the same signal response..... anyway i am in the studio all day so i dont mind coming into my car and listening to a system that isnt turned all the way up- my ears get blasted all day!
Old 06-30-2002, 05:02 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
I like to drive with my windows down and the sunroof open when I take the hiway to work, at 70 plus mph I could not even hear the stereo, I do not blast my stereo by the way, I hate when you pull up next to somone with there stereo cranked up to 11
Old 06-30-2002, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure, where you live you can do that but around here it can reach 75-80 in the summer and 60-65 in the winter so I can't drive with the windows open. Once it even rained!
Old 06-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

I still wonder if they changed the radios or something...I drive, uhm, for the sake of insurance, we'll say I drive the speed limit on I-75 (which would be 70...right) anyway, I've had everything open and could hear the radio just fine. Although I have noticed the CD changer sounds better than the radio at those speeds, but I'm guessing that's more of a signal quality thing since the changer is right next to the radio and not having to receive signals over an already over crowded spectrum...but I'm straying.

Anyway, I'm just curious to those who have the stock radio and don't like it, when was your car made? Possibly they heard your complaints and updated them? Either way, I'm glad I like mine...and even after hearing all these complaints I've gone out to the car several times and I still like it...which is strange because usually I'm all about joining the bandwagon.

dave
Old 06-30-2002, 06:09 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I have been pondering if the owners of the stock audio system in the Coupe are complaining about fidelity or loudness / dynamic range. IMHO (I'm also a Hi-Fi nut) the coupe sound is flat and very crisp.

So are you guys complaining about fidelity or loudness?
Old 06-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
le848dave, don't second guess yourself based on what you hear on this forum. Go with your own instincts and likes or dislikes. I liked the standard sound system just fine when I was shopping for the car. Because I live in an area where there is no classical music station, I opted for the Bose system and cd changer. It sounds great. Several friends have stated their surprise at the quality of the sound coming from such a little car. I personally think that some of the folks who find the sound system inferior, have simply not taken the time to learn how to set the controls.

I dislike entering into these kinds of discussions in which some people call a system crap just because they don't like it or perhaps because they don't know how to set it up. Really it is largely a matter of opinion and preference. We all are entitled to an opinion. This ramble is mine.
Deb
Old 06-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Deb...it was more of a curiosity thing for me...I just thought it was weird because I'm normally very picky about this kind of thing...I even listened to the radio again before signing the final paperwork because I came home and gleaned all the information off of this board so I knew what to try out before I signed the final dotted line.

One thing I am glad I did is that I decided NOT to get after reading this forum is the C7 package. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if it weren't for those stupid wheels...I know they are sportier and such, but I know a lot of people at work who have fancy rims/sport tires on their cars and it seems just about every one of them has problems or doesn't have them on except for a few months of the year. (I'm in MI and if it isn't snowing season it's pothole season...problem w/ those tires is they aren't tollerant as much to the car swallowing potholes up here.)

dave
Old 06-30-2002, 10:07 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Dave, If you're happy with the stock radio, then that is great because you don't have to spend any more money! But on the other hand, I have personal experience with the stock system and the new HU I replaced it with, and there is no comparison in terms of sound quality. Buellwinkle will tell you that there is a huge difference between the Audio 10 and the US system, and they are both technically "stock" Mercedes stereos. I don't know what you had before this car, but it may well have been worse so the stock radio sounds good to you. I initially compared mine to the radio in my Dakota, and came away very unhappy. It all depends on what you are comparing it to. Let me say that again- It all depends on what you are comparing it to!
And yes Deb, I was able to master the bass and treble controls on the stock HU even though they were terribly complex and required hours of studying the manual.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:30 PM

2002 C240, Comand, Blk/Blk Leather, C1, C2, K2b
Re: Everything is relative

Originally posted by London AMG
OK I haven't got into this discussion for a "one over you" kind of thing...(there is always going to be someone with a BIGGER,better and possibly more expensive toy)I have a Hi-Fi system in my front room that easily exceeds the cost of my Mercedes Benz ...by over twice as much !!!...my point is...that considerable improvements can be made to the stock MB audio system for relatively little financial outlay (whether or not you choose to...is a personal decision)...Just bare in mind the law of diminshing returns...i.e. a £200,000 system is not neccessarily going to be qualitatively speaking ten times as good as a £20,000 system...and yet a £2,000 system is likely to appear(sound)four times better than a £500 system
Please consider that my views do not include "pride of ownership" in the equation

London- I presume you have a Bang Olufsen audio system because of the amount you stated which is, by all means, better than any audio system in mb but will still not hold a candle to some of the newer costom installs with kickers and such... yes the system in the mb is pretty crappy when you put Dre or korn on but you have to think that mb is targeting the "business man" who listens more to jazz or softer music... where the mb system sounds Awesome. They really need to look at who is buying these cars now and how to target the consumer better... i'm 19 and love to listen to loud music like everyone else my age and don't like spending major bucks to upgrade because only "certain" places will install on my car Grrrrr also mb has finally dropped bose, so i hear, and signed with Bang Olufsen for 2006?? i think. But if you think it will be much better don't count on it... B&O really only excels on high range music like jazz and piano but doesn't do well on newer stuff... in my opinion (systems up and downstairs, looks good but would rather have something that sounded better)
Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
All i can say is THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SOCK AUDIO. If you don't like it then replace it. It is simple as that.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
STOCK. Sorry about the spelling.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by SilverCi

Now thats pushing it i dont think this stero can compare to a cavalier i have unfortinitly heard one of them and its just sad how bad they really are. like i said in your other thread with just the sub and my amp in my c230 to me it sounds better than my XK8's Harman Kardon 8 speaker system that is also great. If u think the sound in the stock system is ear shattering then it sounds to me like u need to lower the treble and maybe raise the bass a little bit.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:47 AM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
Re: Re: Everything is relative

Originally posted by a1phanumrc

London- I presume you have a Bang Olufsen audio system because of the amount you stated which is, by all means, better than any audio system in mb but will still not hold a candle to some of the newer costom installs with kickers and such... yes the system in the mb is pretty crappy when you put Dre or korn on but you have to think that mb is targeting the "business man" who listens more to jazz or softer music... where the mb system sounds Awesome. They really need to look at who is buying these cars now and how to target the consumer better... i'm 19 and love to listen to loud music like everyone else my age and don't like spending major bucks to upgrade because only "certain" places will install on my car Grrrrr also mb has finally dropped bose, so i hear, and signed with Bang Olufsen for 2006?? i think. But if you think it will be much better don't count on it... B&O really only excels on high range music like jazz and piano but doesn't do well on newer stuff... in my opinion (systems up and downstairs, looks good but would rather have something that sounded better)
You presume incorrectly,I do not own B&O,I considered saying in this reply that I also dont think that B&O excels at reproduction of ANY type of music...however...as I do believe "everything is relative"..."One mans dream = anothers nightmare!!!"
My remarks are ONLY my opinion...and definitely not meant to offend any B&O owners
Old 07-01-2002, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
B&O

Anyone wanna buy a 1971 B&O home system, sans turntable? No reasonable offer refused...

Iceman, put a sock in it.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:29 PM

2002 c230k
B&O should read BO(offensive body odor)! There excel indesigning the package and spend nothing on the actual quality of sound IMHO. They are manufactured by far eastern oems not european companies as it sounds. You've got to get out and here a nice Krell or Pass amp on some quality speakers with a good analog source.
Within the given situation, I find the stock system just fine. I don't need Who volume levels or hip-hop bass so it works for me. Remember, it is a stock system on a $25k car not a premium system on an S class.