C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CAI solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
CAI solution?

Anyone see this before?
Attached Thumbnails CAI solution?-clipboard01.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seen it in catalogues : )

i was thinking about making a 'short ram intake' for my car

going off of the MAF, making a bend, moving diagonally closer to the headlight, another bend and placing the filter as close to the head light as possible...

i know it's tight down there, and last time i looked there's the windshield washer reservoir and the ABS stuff jammed in that area.

But i think that maybe i can fit an HKS style mushroom filter behind the headlight if i can fit it there, or as close to as possible ..and then go from then on.

Thinking about this i c a few issues:

1- space for a filter (Which is why i'm thinking of going with the mushroom filter).

2- Heat from the radiator as the intake passes right in front of it, and if you take a 90 degree bend out the MAF/MAS then you stay farther from the heat but you have a worse bend right there, and possibly another 90 going towards the front of the car to find a place for the filter.

3-turbulance, the older SLK (R170) had that hesitation problem because of turbulance in the MAS which was amplified when pullied. So now i'm going to take a perfectly running stock car, with a straight shot intake, and add a bend RIGHT before the mas and hope that it's unturbulant enough to make it work right .

ideas:

45 degree bend, straight 45 degree bend, mushroom filter.
Relocate stock 'ram air duct' on the driver's side of the bay feeding in front of the filter
utelize a filter heat shield to pretect the filter from the radiator heat
instead of using pipe to build the intake, use silicone coupling and silicone tubing ? (will it collapse) because it will heat up less than metal ?

instead i guess u could build the whole thing out of metal and wrap it with reflective shielding which is what you're talking about.

-nuke
Old 07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Aren't the two stock locations for air intake on this chassis PERFECT for a CAI?
What is the point of putting the filter at the "front" of the CAI as I have seen in so many applications? I had assumed it had been placed there because the filter being used was too big to fit in the stock airbox. Do you do away w/ the stock airbox w/ a CAI?

Last edited by Jim Banville; 07-12-2005 at 07:17 PM.