C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

wired cassette adapters?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wired cassette adapters?

I was reading the FM transceiver thread and it sounds like some of you have been having success with getting a regular cassette adapter working with the stock head unit. I've tried a number of times and never got it to stay without the annoying 'boop' every 5 seconds or so. I saw one person say they did it by trailing the wire out of the bottom right of the cassette door, can you provide anymore details? I remember trying each side of the door and always got the 'boop' sound. I was half-considering drilling a small hole between the door and the rest of the unit to snake the cable through, but don't want to mess with the stock-ness. Any other info. or help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
--Geoff
Old 07-02-2002, 07:51 PM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
I am using one now for my IPod and it works great the wire is comming out the left of the door, I think mid left and I am using either a Kenwood tape adapter or a sony, I can't remember which at the moment, I have had it for ever, I think what you need to look for in a tape adapter is a flat wire, with mine you can clearly see the two wires for the negative and possitive are laid out side by side and not rolled into one round cable, but rather a ribbon.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:01 PM

Davidta,

Thanks for the quick, informative response. I hadn't thought of that. I'm using a Sony, which is definitely 2 conductors inside an insulator, so it might just be a fatter wire than the cassette door's sensor will tolerate. I'll try another brand, maybe I'll check out a Kenwood, and see if that helps the problem. I'll report back. Thanks again! This would be the best short-term solution for me until (hopefully) there is a US-spec single in-dash that I can upgrade to (if it is in fact stock on the '03s, as I've read).

Cheers,
--Geoff
Old 07-02-2002, 09:05 PM

The first day I had my mp3 player set up it beeped a few times. I haven't had that happen since.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:01 PM

OK, I stopped by Fry's on the way home and picked up a Sony Car Ready Walkman CD kit for about $60. I got the kit because the cassette adapter included in it was like Davidta described, two individually insulated wires instead of two wires wrapped in a larger single cable. The separate cassette adapters that they had, all Sony, were all one wire, bigger cables. Anyway, Iplugged it in and presto! No beep! I'm psyched. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that this seems to have done it. Thanks for the tip Davidta!

Cheers,
--Geoff
Old 07-02-2002, 11:11 PM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
No problem, I am glad I could help