C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

slotted rotors and brake pads?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2002 | 06:07 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Boo2

So lowering your car, adding bigger wheels, etc. is ricey? A big part of buying these things are for cosmetic reasons. It's not a waste of money; we are only talking about brakes, not big engine mods. I have the same ABS system that you have, and beyond the physics of everything I would like to think that my stock 13.5" cross-drilled floating rotors will stop shorter than your car if it had the same staggered wheel configuration. If not, then at least it looks good.
I know you'd LIKE to think that your fancy cross drilled floating rotors will stop your car faster than my car (assuming we had the same wheels and tires). But you'd be WRONG in thinking that.

Spending $$ on wheels and suspensions, etc. isn't really ricey because there is some performance difference.

Spending $1500 - $2000 on cross-drilled rotors purely for "looks" is classic rice. Spending big money for "performance" things that really do nothing to improve performance (but only give the illusion of increased performance") is rice.

My point is not to try to convince anyone to not waste their money on useless "performance" upgrades. It helps the economy so its good.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking that changing the brakes is going to make your car "stop so hard your teeth will end up on the hood" or other such nonsense. That's my point. Even ricers can be smart consumers.
Old 07-05-2002 | 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
I think you are a little off SoCal. Buying a $2000 brake kit that doesnt improve performance would just be unintelligent, putting 'slotted rotor' stickers on your brake DRUMS would be ricey!
Old 07-05-2002 | 10:15 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by AndrewK
I think you are a little off SoCal. Buying a $2000 brake kit that doesnt improve performance would just be unintelligent, putting 'slotted rotor' stickers on your brake DRUMS would be ricey!
LOL, true! I posted a link to a ricer site that sells "simulated cross-drilled rotors" on this forum once (I can't find it). For those that just want the "look," its a much less expensive way to go! (Cost like $49.99).

The fact that ricer accessory sites even sell "simulated cross-drilled rotors" I guess is kind of proof positive that getting the "look" has become rice.