C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New car a/c smells old

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 01:07 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by psk145
mine doesnt do that.....BUT it smells like mold everytime I wash the car. After its dry, I get in and it just smells nasty. I have to turn ON the AC to clear out the smell. I dont think its coming from the AC since it already sticks before I turn the car on
I get a sweet smell after it rains or after I wash the car. I've been trying to figure out if this is the same issue as the smell coming from the a/c that seems to be related to the evaporator or if they are two different issues. I don't really have a bad smell except after the car gets wet. I don't even have to drive the car to get the smell. You smell it immediately when you enter the car after it has rained. Any thoughts on whether the two are related?

Thanks.
GGM
Old 07-24-2005, 01:18 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by Tishers
Are you running your air conditioning on recirculation or outside air?

I have had this problem in cars, off and on for several years. It seems that as long as I keep the moisture content in my car down there isn't enough moisture in the system to grow molds and fungus in the ductwork.

I don't drive with my windows down so there isn't a constant stream of damp summer air that is condensing out when it hits the coils. Also I normally run my car on recirculated air so there is not so many exchanges with the damp, hot outside air.

I live in the south and summer starts in April and runs to November. Humidity is always 80-100% and the air is filled with all sorts of living things (fungi, molds).

When it's 90 degrees outside with a humidity of 90% and you bring that air into your car and chill it to 70 degrees the dew point will be reached and there will be condensation in the air conditioning unit, ducts and car.
My reading of the manual indicates that the a/c automatically switches to recirc mode when the outside temp is above 79F (26C) and then periodically lets in outside air. In Florida, that's pretty much most of the year. Does anybody know if the indicator light should come on when it automatically switches to recirc mode or if it would make any difference if I manually put it in recirc mode?

Thanks.
GGM
Old 07-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by GGM
Does anybody know if the indicator light should come on when it automatically switches to recirc mode or if it would make any difference if I manually put it in recirc mode?

Thanks.
GGM
1) The recirc light will not come on during starting of the car. This is to avoid the fumes that are swirling during that period. It lasts about 30 seconds prior to it accepting outside air and releasing the recirc mode.
2) When the automatic controls call for Max Air the indicator light will also not be turned on.

The above is based on my MY03 experience.

HTH
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beep
so it has been 3 months and this still is going on every so often...

I only run with the A/C button on..

Last edited by Axxis22; 09-21-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
I had the same issue with my 03 E 320. I am also in Miami. I complained and they sprayed the fungicide on the evaporator inside the dash. It was a short term fix. My car has the REST feature, which runs the climate control fan for 30 minutes after the car is turned off. This is a feature for winter climates, but it does help for this mold problem. My issue is not 100% resolved, but I would say is much improved. I had this issue also in a VW Beetle I owned. There I could just turn the AC compressor off a few minutes before stopping, while turning up the heat. With the W211, hitting the AC off button doesn't turn off the compressor for quite a few minutes, so that is not an easy solution for me.

I run the AC in recirculate mode all the time. You have to hit the recirc button every 30 minutes in my car because it switches back to outside air on its own. Using recirc helps. The other thing that seemed to help was running the car with the defroster/defogger on for a couple of minutes before turning off the car everytime you turn off the car and at the same time making the temperature a bit warmer. I don't do the defroster technique any more since I do the use the REST function. Complain next time you take it in for service and they will likely do a one time application of the fungicide for free. Good luck.
William
2003 E320
Old 09-22-2005, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
same here, I hate that smell =T
I notice that this comes standard on the C-Classes lols this wasnt mentioned in the books!

but anyways, I found a cure for it =] its get a airhose thingie and blow out the a/c hole on the bottom of the car, and always, shut ur wind off before u shut ur car off =] that helps, I havnt been getting the smell for like...almost a year
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 PM

beep
Originally Posted by advans
its get a airhose thingie and blow out the a/c hole on the bottom of the car, and always
whats that again?

thanks guys
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Axxis22
whats that again?

thanks guys

its where the A/C water drips down, u gota get some sore air hose thing, blow air into it
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM

beep
ahh gotcha... will check it out
Old 09-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350W4
Originally Posted by X72
I had the same issue with my 03 E 320. I am also in Miami. I complained and they sprayed the fungicide on the evaporator inside the dash. It was a short term fix. My car has the REST feature, which runs the climate control fan for 30 minutes after the car is turned off. This is a feature for winter climates, but it does help for this mold problem. My issue is not 100% resolved, but I would say is much improved. I had this issue also in a VW Beetle I owned. There I could just turn the AC compressor off a few minutes before stopping, while turning up the heat. With the W211, hitting the AC off button doesn't turn off the compressor for quite a few minutes, so that is not an easy solution for me.

I run the AC in recirculate mode all the time. You have to hit the recirc button every 30 minutes in my car because it switches back to outside air on its own. Using recirc helps. The other thing that seemed to help was running the car with the defroster/defogger on for a couple of minutes before turning off the car everytime you turn off the car and at the same time making the temperature a bit warmer. I don't do the defroster technique any more since I do the use the REST function. Complain next time you take it in for service and they will likely do a one time application of the fungicide for free. Good luck.
William
2003 E320
My car is actually at the dealer now (been there since last Thursday…shoot). I have had that smell for a couple of months now (pretty much since the summer began). Had the deodorant sprayed twice with no avail. They have been waiting for an improved Evaporator from Germany (came in yesterday). This should, according to my SA, fix this issue once and for all.

Don’t waste your time on deodorizers and what not. Will not work. The odor will go away during the cooler months here in the North East but it will get worse in places where it is mostly hot and humid.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Lux w/ P1, P2, Lighting Package
Stinky Noob Here Too

New 2005 C240 owner in Wash, DC area...just bought this bad boy one week ago. Dealer demo w/ 3K miles sold and titled new. EEEEEWWWW stinky vent air . Didn't notice the sour smell when running the a/c, but on fan, recirculate or outside air, really obnoxious. Dealer treated a/c system with "Frigid Fresh." Smell seems to has disappeared, but autumn temps have arrived and humidity is low, so this time of year is probably not the best to test it out. We'll see what the next DC humid summer brings.