C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

pulley shootout challenge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 kompressor C2 C7
pulley shootout challenge

I am proposing a pulley shoot out. lets get this all out in the open. a put up or shut up to answer all questions. lets see each manufacture submit a production pulley, to one location at one time on at least one car and see what happens. we could see the results of the software guys too. lets get together somewhere and have a friendly challenge. I would really like to see this. no more he said this and he said that. a complete dyno test, complete with a/f ratios. done at sealevel. i propose here in socal. anyone want to step up to the plate and show how good their product is? lets get a neutral dyno shop to conduct the test. it could be witnessed by any of us that would like to make the treck. i would think that if it was written up well, one of the tuner magazines would print it. i know that sportcompact magazine has their own dyno. maybe they would be up for it?
what do you all think?
Old 07-05-2002, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on Clint, do you really think the tuners are going to risk their rep against a $350 pulley, no way, it's not in their best interests.

Face it, most tuners don't make their own products, they outsource to manufacturers for wheels, pulleys, brakes, and have it made, stamp their name on it and sell it. The only reason the ASP pulley is cheaper is because as a favor to all (except the tuners) I cut out the middle man, no distributor, no dealers just buy direct from the source. That' why you won't get the fancy box, badges and a belt, just power.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Very true about some manufacturers just stamp their name on the products then sell it. I would love to see the shoot out but i would also like to see dyno showing A/F ratio because you can have a fast car but if your engine is running 14.7:1 (this is when the engine make the most power if it doesn't detonation), how long will the engine last. I would rather lose a little bit of power to run it at 12.5:1 A/f ratio.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:02 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I cut out the middle man, no distributor, no dealers just buy direct from the source. That' why you won't get the fancy box, badges and a belt, just power.
yea, you also cut out the warranty on your engine kleeman and renntech offer, real product support, and solid R&D on more then 1 car.

Your pulley may be just as good or better then these other guys, but renntech has a warranty, and thats worth more then a couple of bucks.

I bought a mercedes, not a kia, and i am not gonna go cheap now on tuning it, not even to prove some silly point on the evils of professional tuners, and there business model.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by greg230

yea, you also cut out the warranty on your engine kleeman and renntech offer, real product support, and solid R&D on more then 1 car.
Kleemann does not offer any such warranty on the engine. They do offer a warranty for their product.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by greg230

Kleemann does not warranttee your engine and Renntech will but at $1,694 for a pulley it's out of my league. There are 8 companies that make a pulley for your car, the idea of a pulley has been tested many times over so what would be the difference enough about another pulley. I don't know about you but after $1,000 for a pulley and chip I'm spent. I don't think I can handle the thousands that the same would cost from Renntech, not that it's not good, just not where I want to spend my dough. I'm in a C-coupe, not a C32.

Besides, MB warranttees my engine for 4 years, ASP warranttees the pulley so what do I have to lose.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
BuellWinkle,

Have you been to the dragstrip yet with your new Pulley? What kinda times and trap speeds did you get with the Pulley?
Old 07-08-2002, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

Besides, MB warranttees my engine for 4 years, ASP warranttees the pulley so what do I have to lose.
I dont think MB is going to warrantee your engine as soon as they see that pulley.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by AndrewK

I dont think MB is going to warrantee your engine as soon as they see that pulley.
Exactly, that's why you may want to remove the pulley if you are going in for warranttee repairs on the engine. You wouldn't want them to make a judgement call on something that may not be pulley related. But for slightly over $1,300 more you can have the piece of mind of knowning that Renntech will pay the bill. The problem is that they have you for life, want to add a chip or anything else and you have to stay with them to maintain the warranttee, pretty good marketing.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:17 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
brandon and randy
come on guys we are calling you out.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
I dont see Buell's point about trapping you with one tuner. Isnt it common to pick one tuner and stick with them anyway rather than mix and match products that were not designed for each other?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by AndrewK
I dont see Buell's point about trapping you with one tuner. Isnt it common to pick one tuner and stick with them anyway rather than mix and match products that were not designed for each other?
Normally I like to buy best of breed products. I may want to mix an ASP pulley with a GIAC chip and a Renntech Intercooler. But if your only reason for buying a Renntech pulley is their warrantee then you may be voiding that if you put another performance mod that isn't Renntech. After all, a pulley of the same diameter is going to put out the same boost, no magic there. I would imagine that an ECU mod designed for a certain level of boost would work the same regardless of the pulley. The costs just start escalating when I know I'll need a chip but I only want to spend under $1,000 for everything. But my priority is value (I would sacrifice a few ponies for cost but not much), maybe yours is power (you would sacrifice dollars for a few extra ponies), maybe your priority is the warrantee (you would sacrifice power and dollars for that special warrantee). If power is the priority then the ASP & Kleemann pulleys produce more HP than Renntech because of their lightweight as you can see from the various dyno results. Then I would look at which chip (Upsolute/GIAC/Renntech) produced the most power and get that. Then lastly, the intercooler. So the difference between a good combination and poor combination may be very significant and the best combination may not come from one vendor. Of course if warrantee is your priority then you should get all Renntech.

Of course everyone has different priorities and that's what's great, there are products to fill every niche.