C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

replica body kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 240
replica body kits

has anyone purchased one before? if so, what is your experience with them?

james
Old 07-06-2002, 01:08 PM

w203 kompressor
Angry REPLICA....WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?

I HAVE PURCHASED A REPLICA BODYKIT FOR MY HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL... IT WAS A MUGEN REPLICA FROM VIS RACING.

(AMG FOR MERCEDES WOULD BE THE SAME AS MUGEN IN HONDA CARS)
THE FIT IS NOT PERFECT. SOME ARE "GOOD" BUT NOT PERFECT.
THE FIT COULD NEVER BE PERFECT ON REPLICA KITS BECAUSE THEY DONT USE FACTORY MOLDS TO DESIGNATE THE EXACT LINES OF THE BODY OF THE VEHICLE. I WAS NOT DISSSSATIFIED WITH THE KIT BUT IN MOST CASES YOU ONLY SAVE ABOUT A THIRD OF THE PRICE WHEN YOU STEP DOWN TO BUY A KNOCK-OFF KIT.
MOST BODYKITS REQUIRE MORE ATTENTION THAN YOU THINK IF YOU ARE DROPPING THE CAR OR IF IT IS AN ELABORATE KIT.
----FAKE KITS NEED HOLES DRILLED IN THE PROPPER PLACES, DOUBLE SIDED TAPE, EXTRA COATS OF PAINT, ETC. ETC. ETC.

BUT I GUESS THE MORAL OF MY LITTLE TALE IS ...
GET THE REAL KIT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE HAPPIER IN THE LONG RUN.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Re: REPLICA....WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?

Originally posted by CHARLIEBROWN
I HAVE PURCHASED A REPLICA BODYKIT FOR MY HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL... IT WAS A MUGEN REPLICA FROM VIS RACING.

(AMG FOR MERCEDES WOULD BE THE SAME AS MUGEN IN HONDA CARS)
THE FIT IS NOT PERFECT. SOME ARE "GOOD" BUT NOT PERFECT.
THE FIT COULD NEVER BE PERFECT ON REPLICA KITS BECAUSE THEY DONT USE FACTORY MOLDS TO DESIGNATE THE EXACT LINES OF THE BODY OF THE VEHICLE. I WAS NOT DISSSSATIFIED WITH THE KIT BUT IN MOST CASES YOU ONLY SAVE ABOUT A THIRD OF THE PRICE WHEN YOU STEP DOWN TO BUY A KNOCK-OFF KIT.
MOST BODYKITS REQUIRE MORE ATTENTION THAN YOU THINK IF YOU ARE DROPPING THE CAR OR IF IT IS AN ELABORATE KIT.
----FAKE KITS NEED HOLES DRILLED IN THE PROPPER PLACES, DOUBLE SIDED TAPE, EXTRA COATS OF PAINT, ETC. ETC. ETC.

BUT I GUESS THE MORAL OF MY LITTLE TALE IS ...
GET THE REAL KIT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE HAPPIER IN THE LONG RUN.
PLEASE DON"T YELL!!!!!!
Use upper AND lower case letters to make your point. All upper case is just like YELLING! Just plain rude for all those who try and read it.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:17 PM

W203
Just be selective on your choices. I've seen fake kits for MB's before and they fit and look darn good. There's not a huge market for elaborate kits for MB's out there like Honda and Acura's due to the majority of the conservative owners and the prestige of owning MB.

Most of the fake kit for MB's I've seen fit very well without drilling any holes. If you have to drill holes I would not get it.

However, I would still recommend saving a little more and get the real thing.

what kit are you planning on getting??

Last edited by Class C; 07-08-2002 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus w203
i have seen a replica bodykit for the mbz in person.... i saw the fake brabus kit and it looks pretty good... iv delt with a lot of fake kits for honda and such cuz i owned one b4.. well as far as the fake brabus kit.. you do need to drill in holes for the bumper but the kit is made very well and is a pretty decent mold.. of course there will be different qualitys when you look at fake kits.. one person may have a copy of the first kit.. and someone may have a copy of a copy and so forth.. as it goes down the list the bumpers become lower quality... but i found a brabus kit for $650 near my house.. and it seems really good.. and even on the bottom of the bumper it has the brabus stamp on it.. so it seems like a good copy of the kit....just needs a little touch up..
Old 07-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

i have never compared a replica kit with the real one, but the price difference is way more than 1/3.

you could purchase a fake brabus kit (front & rear) for W203 under $400 while the real thing going cost you more than $2000 DO THE MATH~ i wouldn't be suprised if they look bit different

C320 owner
Old 07-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

C 240
thanks guys for the reply. I think I'll go with the real thing (brabus). I have monoblock IV's 18" w/carlsson springs and are planning to upgrade to the VI's with 19".
Old 07-07-2002, 11:26 PM

W203
Excellent choice! Post pics once you get it!
Old 07-07-2002, 11:55 PM

w203 kompressor
alright...im up to 4cents now

i just want to say that it depends on how many stepps down the road the kit is before it is cheap cheap "cheap". A veryGOOD fake kit is about a 1/3 savings... a somewhat good kit is less than half the cost ,and then there's the reaaaallly fakes kits that are like so cheap that even the sales person is like " ...are you sure you ?"

there are more dependants than just the kit being "fake" that i should add to the list of things to look out for:

fiberglass -vs- ero-thane material
a twelve year old kit could punch right through fiberglass whereas the erothane or... oem style materials like Brabus,AMG,Rentech,Carlsson,etc. stuff is a better material for daily activities with no worries. another reason to go with the real deal.

i have shown cars in car shows and dumped alot of money into a kit to later realize that a few dollars more would give me the real thing! I had a fiberglass kit on my last honda that rattled because it was so rigid. and it had chipped paint from my daily driving on the freeway because it was not pourous to the oem paint.ie. easy chipping (ugly after 6 mo. needing repainting.)
most of the fake kits are fiberglass because it is easy to reproduce just like brabus c said " copy of a copy" and thats more what i meant when i said that there is more to the kits than you think or more attention than you think.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:58 PM

w203 kompressor
by the wayside...

good choice going with the real thing though... we need pis or

NO soup for you!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:05 AM

Blk on Blk C240
Any info on duraflex material?

Originally Posted by CHARLIEBROWN
i just want to say that it depends on how many stepps down the road the kit is before it is cheap cheap "cheap". A veryGOOD fake kit is about a 1/3 savings... a somewhat good kit is less than half the cost ,and then there's the reaaaallly fakes kits that are like so cheap that even the sales person is like " ...are you sure you ?"

there are more dependants than just the kit being "fake" that i should add to the list of things to look out for:

fiberglass -vs- ero-thane material
a twelve year old kit could punch right through fiberglass whereas the erothane or... oem style materials like Brabus,AMG,Rentech,Carlsson,etc. stuff is a better material for daily activities with no worries. another reason to go with the real deal.

i have shown cars in car shows and dumped alot of money into a kit to later realize that a few dollars more would give me the real thing! I had a fiberglass kit on my last honda that rattled because it was so rigid. and it had chipped paint from my daily driving on the freeway because it was not pourous to the oem paint.ie. easy chipping (ugly after 6 mo. needing repainting.)
most of the fake kits are fiberglass because it is easy to reproduce just like brabus c said " copy of a copy" and thats more what i meant when i said that there is more to the kits than you think or more attention than you think.

Hey Charliebrown, do you have any info on duraflex or hiflex type materials used in making the replica body kits? They advertise that its stronger by over 70% compared to fiberglass and more durable. Its made with fiberglass, plastic and flex resin. Is it really better or is it still just fiberglass?