C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New C230 V6 thoughts on performance.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
and this is relevant how?

I started an honest thread about the performance difference and wanted to share my findings with the "community." First Outland trashed the thread, now you.

Take your own advice, because frankly, I don't give a s h i t what you think!
then why did you reply??

alright then...you went to test drive a new car and the sales let you drove off and "RACE" someone else?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually, being a new engine, it might not have opened up.
I know that when folks have raced the new 4.5L X5 4.4i they are neck to neck with the old 4.4L X5 4.4i, but after a few thousand miles, the newer cars open up fully and can overtake the older X5's.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by FrankW
then why did you reply??

alright then...you went to test drive a new car and the sales let you drove off and "RACE" someone else?

Yes Frank they did. Actually gave me the keys and said bring it back when u are done. It is a C230 not an AMG and I have refered 4 sales to the dealership in the last 2 months so I have a bit of "pull" -- if you really need pull to get a C230 for 12 miles of use. So I let someone drive my car and did some simple freeway pulls to see how the two stacked up. Well there was a "drag race on a empty back road with a 55 mph speed limit.

The 2.5L just felt slow. It sounded rather odd and rough for a small 6. I actually enjoyed the C230k a lot more and no longer wish I could have the new small 6. Maybe if the C230 had the 2.8L motor it would be a more logical car.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Maybe if the C230 had the 2.8L motor it would be a more logical car.
There is no 2.8 motor. There are 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
This constant bickering between V6 advocates and supercharged I4 advocates is getting tiresome. Sorta like the Israelis and Palestinians arguing over who got there first. There's no answer to either set of arguments.

Supercharger advocates can't be convinced otherwise... The C240 advocates are equally stubborn. It's nice that MB offers such a wide range of engine choices so that everyone can feel served. It generates the same amount of American dollars for MB, so they don't care if you guys want to have a pissing contest over which is better.

Some of these threads are started by people who want to bait an argument. Some of you should know better than hopping in so willingly. We have an ignore button on these forums. Think about using it.

Be happy with what you bought and let's move on... defending your decision only suggests to others that you are not happy.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Outland
New machines alone don't make a new block. Most of your Toyodas, Triflexes and Cinncinatti's(just to name a few) can machine a wide range of engine designs and parts. Its more likely the old machinery was just that, old. Poor Cpk, unable to hold tighter tolerances on the "new" engine, or just plain faster cycle times.

You can change a few dimensions and call it new. Auto companies do this all the time. The Nissan V6, despite its very modern high output, is the same architecture engine its been for over a decade. There's too much money at stake and too much testing to be done to go with a ground up design unless you have to.

Doesn't matter. The point I was making is that here you have an engine, the 2.5L, that is a V6 just like the under achiever in the C240, running in a very similar block, but this time sporting 4 valves and dual overhead cams with variable valve timing. Not really a stretch to go from 3 to 4. Another cam on each bank, redesigned heads with the fourth valve and the VVT system.

So, in theory, the wieght of the engines should be the similar. The old engine dynos in at 168HP, the new one over 200. Then there's the supercharged four...its down quite a few ponies over the 6. So, how can these two perform so identical in the C230? Something doesn't add up at all.

Is the gearing in the 7 speed auto that bad? Is it optimized for the C350, and the other cars are just stuck with what works for the better performing 3.5L versions.

Given the short stroke, I'm surprised it doesn't rev higher.
I am quite sure the engines can all produce more power. But why would MB do that? It is all about marketing. If you have three engines and three cars in that class, they all can not go the same speed 0-60. If you want to sell the C350 to the people that want to go quicker you have to make it quicker and more palitable. The C230 is entry in NA for the C class so it is the slowest. I am sure it could be just as fast as the C350 if geared properly. But for all intents and purposes the MB Management wanted it to be what it is. Then we get the C280 for the people who want more power and less flash. The the C350 for even more power and more quickness and either sport or luxury models. Now if the made the C280 with the sport package and the 6 speed that is the one I would actually go for. No need for all the power of the C350 and added price if I can get more power than I have now for a few more bucks. But alas the C280 does not come with the 6 speed nor the sport package the C230 and C350 have.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM

bike
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
The C230 is entry in NA for the C class so it is the slowest.
Wrong.....
Lets not forget the C230 is a "Sports Sedan" and the C240 is a "Luxury Sedan" for the Entry Level C Class.
But both are still slow rides
Old 08-16-2005, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by skahung
Wrong.....
Lets not forget the C230 is a "Sports Sedan" and the C240 is a "Luxury Sedan" for the Entry Level C Class.
But both are still slow rides
The C240 is no more! But its replacement the C280 is finnally more powerfull than its little brother so it is all good now. Pay more and get more performance is what it should have always been. Also hence why I compared the C230 and C350 since they are both Sport Sedans. Since the C350 comes in both Sport Sedan and Luxury Sedan Configurations.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
There is no 2.8 motor. There are 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5.
u are correct. i just wish mb could call a car what it really is

C250 C280 and C350. Things were logical once upon a time.

is there something special about the C230 name?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
This constant bickering between V6 advocates and supercharged I4 advocates is getting tiresome. Sorta like the Israelis and Palestinians arguing over who got there first. There's no answer to either set of arguments.

Supercharger advocates can't be convinced otherwise... The C240 advocates are equally stubborn. It's nice that MB offers such a wide range of engine choices so that everyone can feel served. It generates the same amount of American dollars for MB, so they don't care if you guys want to have a pissing contest over which is better.

Some of these threads are started by people who want to bait an argument. Some of you should know better than hopping in so willingly. We have an ignore button on these forums. Think about using it.

Be happy with what you bought and let's move on... defending your decision only suggests to others that you are not happy.
I have a question for you before you lump people into classifications.

How is it that people here are stubborn? Is it not logical to believe fact when fact is presented.

This thread was not to debate N/A vs. Kompressor C240 vs C230 it was to show that the new small V6 was not very impresive.

I think it is only nautural to see if the new version is any better than the old version. In this case it looks to be litte to no quicker than the car it replaced, gets worse MPG and has a less "sporting" sound (IMHO). I would say it sure is smoother at idle than the 4cyl and if that is something you value the V6 is the way to go.

If you feel inclined to dull the forum to a point where the qualities of respective motors should not be discussed, MBworld.org is dead just like Rover. I simply dont find people saying hey nice car interesting. Lets talk discuss and debate. How many picutres of a car can we see and how many posts can u write saying "congrats looks great man"? It gets really old really fast.

If we cant discuss the nature of the cars lets all just talk about trying to fit 20 inch wheels on the car and cutting out coils from the springs!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-16-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Almost a Member!

I disagree. Some are in the process of buying one soon and go by these opinions in determining what engine they may want. It's all helpful in some way or another
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
I'm an engineer by trade. Maybe you should do more research than reading the press releases.
The new 4-cam V6 is totally different from the 3-valve V6. Vastly different engine management system, much higher compression, much more advanced heads with variable valve timing, etc. I fail to see where there are similarities. Sans the fact that they are both V6s.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
then why did you reply??

I answered your stupid comment with another stupid comment. You English leaves something to be desired as I cannot really understand your second comment.?.?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Actually, being a new engine, it might not have opened up.
I know that when folks have raced the new 4.5L X5 4.4i they are neck to neck with the old 4.4L X5 4.4i, but after a few thousand miles, the newer cars open up fully and can overtake the older X5's.
Good observation. It did cross my mind at the time, that maybe the C230 V6 would be a little quicker after being broken in.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I bet that wack nut of a human Wiedermann gave u that wonderful link. go drive the couple and leave an honest thread alone. If you dont care go watch something else. Maybe Mario needs a play date....u can keep him company.

hmmm.... haven't seen Mario since he ate those two 3/4 lb burgers at Fuddruckers.....

but anyway, yeah, driven both C230K loaners and my brother's C240,
and still a YAWN. My C320's are not as big of a yawn, but ok for daily driving. (Granted mine are no longer stock in performance). I can only imagine that the C350 would actually finally get the C-Class to an acceptable competitive (meaning brand competitor's V6 cars) level for regular schmo's like me (exception being C32 / C36 / C43 / C55 (V8)AMG's obviously). But when i drove the SLK55, CLS65 and SLR, i was actually quite impressed. Now there's some nice performance.

Never got to drive Weidermann's C32 though, so can't say anything more than whatever thing you might say that has you so pissed off at Mario.

not my problem, and i don't care, and i get to watch whatever i want !

Last edited by Saprissa; 08-16-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I have a question for you before you lump people into classifications.

How is it that people here are stubborn? Is it not logical to believe fact when fact is presented.

If you feel inclined to dull the forum to a point where the qualities of respective motors should not be discussed, MBworld.org is dead just like Rover.

If we cant discuss the nature of the cars lets all just talk about trying to fit 20 inch wheels on the car and cutting out coils from the springs!
I appreciate your remarks, but I don't appreciate the attitude.

There are lots of fixed opinions on this forum. Some want the supercharged 4-banger, and will blast anything that isn't, especially some who have invested in said 4 which will eventually be replaced by something better. This happened when the 2.3L became the 1.8L, and is now happening when the 2.4L V6 is being replaced with the 2.5L V6.

If you think I wanted to stiffle debate, you miss the point. What I want is civil debate, not the name calling posted throughout this topic. It's my job as a moderator here. If you don't like it, then take it up with me in a Private Message.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
New machines alone don't make a new block. Most of your Toyodas, Triflexes and Cinncinatti's(just to name a few) can machine a wide range of engine designs and parts. Its more likely the old machinery was just that, old. Poor Cpk, unable to hold tighter tolerances on the "new" engine, or just plain faster cycle times.

You can change a few dimensions and call it new. Auto companies do this all the time. The Nissan V6, despite its very modern high output, is the same architecture engine its been for over a decade. There's too much money at stake and too much testing to be done to go with a ground up design unless you have to.

Doesn't matter. The point I was making is that here you have an engine, the 2.5L, that is a V6 just like the under achiever in the C240, running in a very similar block, but this time sporting 4 valves and dual overhead cams with variable valve timing. Not really a stretch to go from 3 to 4. Another cam on each bank, redesigned heads with the fourth valve and the VVT system.

So, in theory, the wieght of the engines should be the similar. The old engine dynos in at 168HP, the new one over 200. Then there's the supercharged four...its down quite a few ponies over the 6. So, how can these two perform so identical in the C230? Something doesn't add up at all.

Is the gearing in the 7 speed auto that bad? Is it optimized for the C350, and the other cars are just stuck with what works for the better performing 3.5L versions.

Given the short stroke, I'm surprised it doesn't rev higher.
It does rev a little more than the 4, perhaps 300rpm.

I still don't see what evidence you have that the engines are the same or even similar.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
[QUOTE=SaprissaBut when i drove the SLK55, CLS65 and SLR, i was actually quite impressed. Now there's some nice performance.[/QUOTE]

You have driven a CLS65? How was that?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL

There are lots of fixed opinions on this forum. Some want the supercharged 4-banger, and will blast anything that isn't, especially some who have invested in said 4 which will eventually be replaced by something better. This happened when the 2.3L became the 1.8L, and is now happening when the 2.4L V6 is being replaced with the 2.5L V6.

If you think I wanted to stiffle debate, you miss the point. What I want is civil debate, not the name calling posted throughout this topic. It's my job as a moderator here. If you don't like it, then take it up with me in a Private Message.
People didn't accept our video at the time. Totally un-modified cars, automatic, no funny camera work, etc. The way people react to a given situation is not my problem. So, when I attempt at making a valid argument, I should not have to defend a position that has already be proved.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I answered your stupid comment with another stupid comment. You English leaves something to be desired as I cannot really understand your second comment.?.?
yes yes...me Engrish bad...

why did you answer my "stupid" comment if you thought it was stupid?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
You have driven a CLS65? How was that?
haha....
my bad: CLS55

loved it ! luxury and power. But I wouldn't buy it.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

I am not saying dont do your job Bob..that is not the issue at all. I know you need to keep this under control here but the fact remains that I am not the one who keeps throwing mud around. People read a post then get all wound up thinking we are back to the C230k vs C240 debate.

This was to talk about the new motor not being worth the added weight and how it really was no better than what it replacfed. There were threads before talking about power to weight ratios of the two cars in an effort to see which would be quicker. Our little (likely flawed) test was to just say the C230 2006 was not that impressive.

I think people jump out with attitude and then the fight starts. It seems like people jsut are not able to talk about the facts without getting personal. It is not about defending what you purchased its talking about cars. I have many cars and have had many others. I will say that I would not buy another E55 likely and that my E500 is not doing well (in the shop for a month straight). I dont come here to moan about that i just want to talk about cars.

I took your comments as a polite way of saying stop posting on the topic.I however dont see why the topic needs to be stopped.

We were confronted for not having proof. We provided proof and still were told to go find better proof. So we let that topic die. We tested a new car and people posted links about "gay" posting for us.

What happens here is not right but its not fair to make topics look closed off. I would love to talk about the differences in the two cars but maybe that can not take place.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
yes yes...me Engrish bad...

why did you answer my "stupid" comment if you thought it was stupid?
Usually, in America at least, you answer an unsolicited response in kind.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I am not saying dont do your job Bob..that is not the issue at all. I know you need to keep this under control here but the fact remains that I am not the one who keeps throwing mud around. People read a post then get all wound up thinking we are back to the C230k vs C240 debate. .
Agreed. You are NOT the one from whom I am asking for civil discussion. Please re-read my initial post. It was not directed at you in particular.

I think people jump out with attitude and then the fight starts. It seems like people jsut are not able to talk about the facts without getting personal.
Bingo, now you get my point. My first post was meant for everyone, without calling anyone out. Frankly, you two have made your points quite well. It's how the others have reacted to it (and continue to react) that solicited my response.

I took your comments as a polite way of saying stop posting on the topic. I however dont see why the topic needs to be stopped... What happens here is not right but its not fair to make topics look closed off. I would love to talk about the differences in the two cars but maybe that can not take place.
You don't see this thread closed, do you? Go on and on, if you want. Just keep it civil (that means EVERYONE). Just don't expect everyone to accept your "proof" as the final word. Some around here would not accept proof if it were to slap them silly.

For my part, I wouldn't buy any car based on a single word uttered on these forums, no matter how "objectively" offered. I would get off my lazy butt and go test drive the cars for myself and make up my own mind.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I'm sure the new 06 line up is faster in every level compared to the older engine line-up. old I4 1.8K/2.3K is uncomparable with the new v6, c280 will fly the old 3.2, and obviously the 2.4, the 3.5 is just eat my dust G35

but no matter what....I think that the 06 230ss have to "break in" first to compare with the old 230ss

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New C230 V6 thoughts on performance.