C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New C230 V6 thoughts on performance.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Here are some acceleration numbers from these 2 car mags:
Car and Driver:
0-60 mph: 7.2 sec
1/4 mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph

Road & Track:
0-60 mph: 6.4 sec
1/4 mile: 14.9 @ 94.2 mph
in the real world, how many people here would get those numbers ?

I know i don't. I normally would shift at between 2500 - 4000 rpm. To get those numbers that car & driver and road and track are getting, one would have to shift at 6000 rpm
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Speed isn't everything, but the C230 (either the new or old one) probably can't keep up with this A4 2.0T.
The 2002 C230

Motor Trend:
0-60 7.1 sec
1/4 mile: 15.3@92 mph.

The SLK motor was better.

BTW, It seems odd that the smaller A3 is slower than the A4, even though it has the same motor.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
For those of you who still think the Audi A4 2.0T is not MUCH faster than the C230 Kompressor or C230 V6, there have already been two mainstream car mags which have tested North American spec cars with quattro and 6 speed manual transmission. I think MotorTrend also tested the A4 as well in the Sept. issue, but I don't have that and it's not on-line yet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2482

Here are some acceleration numbers from these 2 car mags:
Car and Driver:
0-60 mph: 7.2 sec
1/4 mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph

Road & Track:
0-60 mph: 6.4 sec
1/4 mile: 14.9 @ 94.2 mph

Sure, the Road & Track numbers were suprisingly fast, but even Car and Driver managed to get the A4 2.0T to 60mph in the low 7's. Still impressive, IMO. A high 6 to low 7 second car to 60mph means it's pretty damn quick in its class. Speed isn't everything, but the C230 (either the new or old one) probably can't keep up with this A4 2.0T.

That's it! it was R&T! That number seems way too high, the C&D seems more realistic.

Outland:

Yes, I had the 318. It wasnt too bad of an engine, I most of gotten one of the better ones, always ran strong. I've seen people with the 360 get beat by the 318. Those motors were notorious for their % error in HP. And I agree with what you said about aerodynamics, it doesnt really come into play till around 60mph or so, so that wont really affect the time, thats what I was saying. And while the A4 might have more gears, the 318 V8 tranny in 93 and 94 toped 2nd gear at 70mph. So that should be to the Jeeps advantage. And with the 4wd in my Jeep, it was 100% rear wheel until the front slipped and then it split it 50%. (Viscous coupling center diff - Basically a tourqe converter with one side being the rear shaft and the other the front shaft) So as long as there was no wheel slip there is little loss due to having 4wd. But still, ok so maybe there is alot more to it, yes... So take the current IS 300 with 215 HP and something like 220 lb-ft. It is listed as 0-60 in 6.8. Now thats a car with more HP and TQ, and with a 5 speed, around 500 lbs lighter, and no 4WD. That should definately be faster than the A4.

Anyways... Completely off topic!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Outland
The 2002 C230

Motor Trend:
0-60 7.1 sec
1/4 mile: 15.3@92 mph.

The SLK motor was better.
But that's the lighter sport coupe they tested, and it was the older 2.3L supercharged I4, which everyone agrees is more powerful than the 2003-2005 1.8L supercharged I4. The old 2.3L also has way more torque than the new 2.5L V6 in the 2006 C230.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by mick1
in the real world, how many people here would get those numbers ?

I know i don't. I normally would shift at between 2500 - 4000 rpm. To get those numbers that car & driver and road and track are getting, one would have to shift at 6000 rpm
Of course, one would have to drive the car at maximum potential to get those numbers, just like any car magazine test would do. Other than racing side by side, comparing instrumented tests performed by the same car magazine is the best way to compare the performance of different cars. It isn't perfect, but at least you get some idea with some objective numbers.

Like I said, this may not mean much to the majority of drivers, but it's hard for enthusiasts to ignore completely these car magazines and what they measure.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Enough hugging you two.

Two points...first, the market place is fragmenting so severely that its quite likely that MB would seriously tank in the sales if it were to start dialing back on options and choices. The key is to find a formula to make money in this type of market without the overhead of the different models killing you. After all, its a luxury car, you should be able to get it the way you want it.

Does MB have too many models? Certainly...but IMHO, not where you think. I think the large selection of C classes was advantageous. But crap like Maybach is pissing away millions if not more, and its sales are ****....Its not even in the hundreds hear in the states. Exclusive? Yes, but a money losing sinkhole. Same with Smart. Too much technology, too much expense in design and engineering for what is a bottom feeder market.

Second point...MB isn't going to regain its reputation and appeal by raising prices and making it harder to get...that's not only stupid, its just reinforces the new attitudes of MB being overpriced, unreliable and unapproachable... certainly not in E, C, and ML segments- wich are pretty close to mass market cars anyway. The only way MB will regain its former position is by being a better value, a more reliable car, and a better looking and performing car than the alternatives from Lexus, Infinity and BMW. BMW isn't really MB's competition, its Lexus. We all like to point and laugh at the domestics for the mess they are in, because they ignored a lot of trends and didn't take the competition seriously...well, that same wake up call is about to ring in Germany. Far too many people have grown up calling Japanese metal home, and even if the cars aren't as good, it won't matter, because this is Walmart nation, they will be good enough values to win over the current Asian and even non asian buyers.

As good as the new SLK and CLS are, the new S Class was proof that MB is headed for some rough waters.
You need to realize a maybach is nothing more than a W220 + 20%. Its a tank and a great tank. Had one for 4 days and I was stunned at how well that car could drive for its massive size. It did not cost much at all to produce for all the featurs and design work was just a extended and expanded W220.

Not sure about you but I see the new S as proof that MB still builds the best cars in the world. I dont get that feeling driving my W203 or a new SLK. The CLS is a E with s spiffy body but for some reason it drives worse than my E55 (in 55k form).

As for me geting along with Del for once why dont you look into it. Being that you are the one moaning that this forum is so rude and disrespectful.

And BMW is not what mb is trying to compete against. Im glad u think so because MB sure does not agree with you at all. But then again their marketing departmetn is full of fools im sure. You should apply and turn the place around... you know make a new motor to put in the car that is not just a upgraded version of the last. Of the friends I got into W203's this year NONE even looked at a Lexus. Some drove a G35 and said it was quick but had not feeling of quality or solidity. BMW's E46 is likely the closes car to a W203.

I doubt people cross shop a W203 and a lexus IS or ES that often. The W203 is smaller, sportier and has less equipment. The MB offers more style, a better driving experience, and it offers a classy image not seen in a lexus. I dont know many people who look at a lexus think it is a classy car. Most say its the car for those who a) did not want to pay for a benz or b) dont really worry about how a car drives and instead want to play with massive amounts of buttons and buzzing seats.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-18-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
You need to realize a maybach is nothing more than a W220 + 20%. Its a tank and a great tank. Had one for 4 days and I was stunned at how well that car could drive for its massive size. It did not cost much at all to produce for all the featurs and design work was just a extended and expanded W220.
Maybach was a boondoggle. The company wasted huge amounts of cash in un needed managers, advertising hacks, spin doctors and special promotion. Not too mention the fact that anyone associated with Maybach was probably getting paid a salary commensurate with the overpriced nature of the car.

Not sure about you but I see the new S as proof that MB still builds the best cars in the world.
I'm just basing my opinion on the hideous bloated styling that looks like a Ford Focus had sex with a Maybach. And that tacky, cheap version of a BMW looking interior...the shapes and forms are awful. The reviews this car are getting for styling are horrible. Even Mercedes Enthusiast, which is usually in the cheerleading section said the styling could sink the car.

I dont get that feeling driving my W203 or a new SLK.
New SLK is the best new MB, IMHO. Its tight, handles well, looks good, and performs good. And its not stuck with the slushbox.

The CLS is a E with s spiffy body but for some reason it drives worse than my E55 (in 55k form).

As for me geting along with Del for once why dont you look into it. Being that you are the one moaning that this forum is so rude and disrespectful.
Is your sense of humor at the dealer too? Twas a joke. Hardly a rude and disrespectful comment anyway...

And BMW is not what mb is trying to compete against. Im glad u think so because MB sure does not agree with you at all.
Did you have too much caffiene tonight?

I'm sure MB would love to outsell BMW. The point I was making is that they should be more worried about Lexus.

But then again their marketing departmetn is full of fools im sure.
You tell me...the top dog here in the states went to work for Hyundai a few weeks ago. Maybe there's hope again. MBUSA...yeah, they have some problems. Read the news a little...the head of Chrysler is going to take over MB in a few weeks. Think everything is still OK?

[QUOTE] Some drove a G35 and said it was quick but had not feeling of quality or solidity. BMW's E46 is likely the closes car to a W203.

I doubt people cross shop a W203 and a lexus IS or ES that often. The W203 is smaller, sportier and has less equipment.
Just ask around. A lot of people here have...against the IS anyway. I think for this crowd, the Camry ES 300 is too clearly a Toyota for the masses. Nearly everyone will claim in a thread involving the IS to have driven one...so either they cross-shopped it or are BSing.

The MB offers more style, a better driving experience, and it offers a classy image not seen in a lexus.
Hey, whatever...I don't disagree with you... but at the same time I don't see this veiw as prevalent anymore. Many people, especially those who grew up with asian cars, see Lexus as equal. But less expensive and more reliable.

I see a rough road ahead for Benz...but I think with Zetsche in charge, they will have a much better chance than they would have with Cordes and Schrempp still at the helm.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM

06 C230
V6 vs. 4

New C230 V6 thoughts on performance.-c230firstday004.jpg I purchased a new 06 C230 2 weeks ago. I test drove both the 05 C230 in stick and in auto, and also the new 06 C230 in stick and auto. From my experience there wasn't much difference in the automatics. The 05 was louder and seemed to be "trying" more than the automatic 06. But both seemed to be about the same in responsiveness and top speed.

When I tried out the manual 05 and the manual 06, there was a difference. Now I wouldn't call myself a car expert, so you can take my analysis with a grain of salt. My previous driving experience is a 1997 Acura integra GSR manual and a 2000 BMW 328is auto. The 05 4cyl seemd slower than the 06 v6. When taking off is seemed a bit slower, and it seemed slower on the highway when downshifting then going back up to get around some slow traffic. I spent a whole day from 9am until 8pm driving all 4 cars (because I was buying one that very day) and when it was all said and done I chose the 06 manual v6. It was also the most expensive because the dealership wasn't giving as many deals on the 06 as they were on the 05's I think they had a walkout price on a white manual 05 of 31k fully loaded. I got my car for just under 35k walkout.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 PM

why its flagship model now makes a rather average or below average 190HP from its V6- especially when the Hyundai Sonata is packing 238HP for a lot less money, and it has better styling and that 10 year warranty.
My co-worker's 2005 Toyota Camry SE with 3.3L V6 has 225 HP, 0-60 mph is about 6.7 in auto. he paid $22k. Even Hyundai Sonata is cheaper with more hp. he reather to get the Toyota.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 AM

I drove both cause i had to decide before i got my car

I felt the v6 was alot less peppy until higher rpms
Old 09-16-2005, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
You have a good point. MB engines typically take 10-15,000 miles to properly bed in... As has been posted several times previously none of these engines achieve their best gas mileage much before 15,000 miles. I know mine didn't.
I don't know about achieving better gas mileage with more miles on the engine but my car seems to perform better than when it was new. It got about 12k miles right now
Old 09-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Smile 06 V6 7sp Auto

I leased an 06 v6 7sp auto and I have to agree in general that it seems power neutral. My previous car was an infiniti with what I consider alot of HP and I have had to adjust to less power (255 vs. 201). My biggest wish is for more torque though. I have been playing with the tiptronic or whatever the hell you want to call it and I have found that if you keep it spooled up you get decent performance. Other thoughts on the v6 that have little bearing other than my own opinion are the fact that I like the idea of the v6 over the 4 b/c I think it provides a smoother supply of power. Having owned the Audi TT turbo I appreciate that type of powerplant, but in a sedan without manually shifting the 7sp gives smooth refined acceleration. All you guys keep fighting about which is better btwn the 4 or the 6, but to me (and I bet most people buying this car) it really doesn't matter because if it did they would buy a c32 or c55, or a TL or a G35 etc. I did test drive the 2.0T audi quattro and it probably is faster, but it felt numb and the sound from the engine was like a VW; if you don't believe me drive one. Point being this car 05 or 06 has a nice sporty ride, excellent style, good mpg, and value pricing even when loaded with most options like mine. I knew going in it wasn't a barn burner, but it is a head turner that gives enough to make it a fun ride.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:06 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
This constant bickering between V6 advocates and supercharged I4 advocates is getting tiresome. Sorta like the Israelis and Palestinians arguing over who got there first. There's no answer to either set of arguments.

Supercharger advocates can't be convinced otherwise... The C240 advocates are equally stubborn. It's nice that MB offers such a wide range of engine choices so that everyone can feel served. It generates the same amount of American dollars for MB, so they don't care if you guys want to have a pissing contest over which is better.

Some of these threads are started by people who want to bait an argument. Some of you should know better than hopping in so willingly. We have an ignore button on these forums. Think about using it.

Be happy with what you bought and let's move on... defending your decision only suggests to others that you are not happy.
Well I'm happy to see things have not changed much since I hung out here. Just FYI I drove the IS250 in auto and the 06 C230 in Manual back to back a week ago and of course I have an M111 engine in my 02. the torque and drive on the 06 230 is very comparable to my 02 with a pulley but much smoother the IS felt completely detached although very quiet and luxurious. I am having a hard time making a choice.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
Old 11-20-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
Originally Posted by Sauceboy01
I agree. This thread serves no purpose. No real comparable data, no accurate forms of testing, etc. So its pointless to discuss something you can't back up. If you can prove the C230 or C240 is slower or faster than C230k, then this thread wouldnt be double digit post long.