C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

audio pilot adjusted and other info from dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
audio pilot adjusted and other info from dealer

well, took the car in to turn off the audio pilot and the service manager had no idea what i was talking about but we figured it out and the tech hooked up the computer - took literally seconds for him to change it. it can be set to 9, 6, 3 or 0 dBs change. it was set to 6dBs, i changed it to 3dBs and it is now much better. i have to strain to discern a difference so its working.

also, i asked about the fuel settings - changing it from default to economy or performance as discussed in other threads. unfortuneately, they had no idea about it. Dennis, the technician, looked thru several settings but couldn't find it. maybe its a rumor? they told me that they would look into it and let me know (but that would be a pleasant suprise )

finally, the driver's side trim piece on the roof - towards the rear was not flush and it was a little loose. dennis looked at it and agreed that it was too loose and high. he pulled it up a little, shining his pen-light inside, but he pulled a little too much and a small clip broke off and flew out! he's ordering the parts and i'll have to go back later to have it installed.

i was very impressed w/ the computer system - i was able to watch Dennis go thru it. wish i could play around w/ it a little more

also, finally saw another c-coupe - silver w/ panoramic roof. but it had NJ plates - so it's just visiting...

Last edited by young; 12-08-2001 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
The standard stereo has a simpler loudness compensation system which is triggered at various vehicle speeds. I wonder if that one can also be adjusted? Sometimes, I think the compensation is a little too high and I have to back off the volume one click.

Just a side note. I was once given a Chevy Cavalier to borrow when my Passat was in for service. Even that car had an automatic loudness compensation system on the Delco radio, and you could adjust the level of compensation by turning a collar around the volume knob. There were 3 or 4 settings, including "off" -- no fancy computer needed!
Old 12-09-2001, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
My Bose Audio Pilot wasn't reset, even though they said i was. Now it seems to get quieter than it did before I brought it in for the reset. Maybe they set it to -9db rather than -0db?

Fuel settings - the service advisor had no clue what I was talking about until I mentioned economy mode, standard mode and performance mode. Then he sort of sat up in his seat with the high fallutin' opinion that the only real difference is octane requirements and thats how they gain "performance" or "economy". Something tells me that isn;'t exactly right, so I'll check at another dealer. (steeeerike two)

They fixed the dashboard rattle - apparently there was a small plastic clip theat wasn't seated in the door trim.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i wonder if there are two systems at work. both the audio pilot which may have been indeed working transparently, and the speed determined system.

my only evidence is that sometimes, the sound changes seemed arbitrarily related to the speed more often than to the ambient noise. when i slowed down to 5-10mph coming to a stop, it suddenly dropped in volume. my second piece would be that the 0,3,6,9 dBs change seems arbitrary also. when the ambient noise reaches a certain volume, increase volume by 6dBs? so if the noise level was at 60dBs or 100dBs, the volume increases by +6dBs? that doesn't seem so sophisticated...
Old 12-09-2001, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Wouldn't it be nice to get the DAS software and a cable so we can mod things (and screw things up) ourselves ? Anyone know of a kind dealer that would let at least a copy of the software slip out ? I got the schematics for the cable...
Old 12-09-2001, 01:36 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
annoying that you cant change it yourself

On my last car, you had the option of turning the feature on if you wanted to use it. I never used it. The stereo was very nice and since the volume controls were on the steering wheel, I could very easily do that manually if needed. Im setting it to 0 when I go in for next service.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Adam, have you got the schematics for the cable ? The DAS system seems to run on a standard(ish) IBM laptop with an extra multiway connector that plugs into a big metal box which is a multiplexer and into the 33 way connector.
On later models they use the OBD-II socket and use most of the "reserved for manafacturer use" to connect up stuff that was on the 20-odd other pins of the 33 way connector.

Ive actually got a lead that plugs into the 33 way connector on my CLK and then into the MUX - needless to say I dont have the MUX or the DAS ;-) - the cable had been driven over in the workshop so was in the trash can when I asked for it nicely !!

R