C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Apple Ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB E320
is there an ipod kit that will work with 98 E320? I'm considering just replacing the HU & speakers if there isn't an ipod kit for my model year. Has anyone or to anyone's knowledge know any ipod kits for my model year? So, i can still use the stock head unit and not worry about some fool who just want's to steal my aftermarket headunit.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 AM

C220 CDI
Originally Posted by blassberg
MB Corporate Retail are supplying my car (in October, rant rant) with the kit fitted for 225 + VAT

You SHOULD be able to order from dealer. They have had a circular about it.
Thanks I will make an enquiry.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:34 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
about your '98 i really wouldnt be suprised if there is 1 id just go to the dealer and see but if theres a aux i wouldnt know why there wouldnt be...if you have a tabe deck in you car that would be the cheapst way to do it....and u can do it your self no labor ha ha

Last edited by MBUSA503; 08-28-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320CDI, SLK200K, FZS600, Saxo 1.1i(!)
Originally Posted by MBUSA503
VAT?
= Value Added Tax = 17.5%. Originally on luxury items eg eating in a restaurant but not having a take-away. Now on nearly everything.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Many people want to install their own Ipod kit, but are unsure how hard it is. Well, its not worth $200, but I cut my own grass too. You need a 2005 or later car with a radio that says "AUX input Active" if you hold the CDC button down for 2 seconds.

Kit contains two cables, two screws, a small electronics package, some velcro to attach the electronics package, and user instructions.

There are no instructions for installation.

There is a knockout on the right side of the glovebox. you push the ipod connector through the hole, and a grommet on the cable holds it. Route the cable behind the glovebox toward the radio.

Remove the upper vent for the AC, the vent has latches to allow the vent to roll up and down to remove the screws holding the vent. Press down the catch lugs in the air nozzle duct. Remove battery neg cable, attach quiescent current retention unit.

Remove two screws holding upper switch panel and tilt down to remove. When replacing listen for audible click. Now it gets tough to describe. You need a wedge MBZ # 115 589 03 59 00(a tapered piece of wood or plastic that will not damage the surface of the interior) to remove the shifter cover. Lift up between the cover and the ash tray. The catches are about 3/4 inch from the right and left edge of the shifter cover, be careful, don't force it. Then pry up the ash tray. Take out the air conditioner control panel. Now you can see the four screws that hold the radio in the car. Remove these and pull the head unit out.

Remove the connector from the back of the radio and plug in the 'Y' cable from the kit. Plug the connector removed from the radio into the other end of the 'Y' cable. now move the MOST fiber optic cables from the radio connector to the same position they were on the radio before. Careful with them, they are glass and should not be bent, kinked, crushed, smashed or molested. The ends should not be touched. Find a spot on the firewall for the electronics package, and connect it to the 'Y' cable. Now plug the harness side of the ipod cable into the harness.

Now my favorite line:

Reassemble in reverse order.

@Blassberg: American here, who loves VAT refunds! Thank the PM for me Gov?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:15 AM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
HOLE CRAP NVMD ABOUT THAT!!!!!!! u work at the dealer?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Moviela
@Blassberg: American here, who loves VAT refunds! Thank the PM for me Gov?
He says you're welcome me old mucker
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM

2005 C230 SS
hey thanks for all the help i appreciate the detailed install
Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Hello fellas,

I need some help here my wife just got the MB iPod kit installed on her 05 230K by a dealer in the San Fernando Valley.

Here is the problem when the iPod kit/harness is installed the Dynamic Volume Control no longer works on the head unit CD, CD changer and radio it only works on the Ipod. We addressed this issue with the dealer and they say at this point there is no fix for that until MB comes out with a software flash upgrade for the head unit. The other fix is remove the iPod kit and return functionality to the audio equipment. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or did you keep all functionality on your audio system when you hooked up the iPod kit.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:23 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
so your saying that the ipod volume on the steering wheel and main radio wont work....have you tryed to move around the menu and then see if it works there out of the media section....other then that there is a spread about this on this site few days ago... and its a problem with his volume 2 other than that i would go to a diffrent dealer and see wut they experinced

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/118194-ipod-integration-kit-volume-issue-my-c230k.html

Last edited by MBUSA503; 09-03-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Class-C

A couple of questions...Do you have command or Audio 20? Do you have a phone, teleAid, or Sirius radio? Do you have the Entertainment (subwoofer) option?

Has the dealer done any changes to the factory coding for the Canbus system? Things like eliminate the "no Phone" message in the display.

I cannot at first glance see how the radio would know to turn off the Dynamic volume control. If the microphone is connected it should work.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MBUSA503
so your saying that the ipod volume on the steering wheel and main radio wont work....
I read it differently that he has an automatic volume levelling device either engine speed or road speed compensated but that has stopped working for non-IPOD (aux) sources. Have had similar function on short term audi a4 with BOSE.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 AM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Originally Posted by blassberg
I read it differently that he has an automatic volume levelling device either engine speed or road speed compensated but that has stopped working for non-IPOD (aux) sources. Have had similar function on short term audi a4 with BOSE.
Thats how I read it...... mine came with that feature from the factory.....not sure if it still works, will check it out tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
I didn't have any instructions, but I did search the forum and found some helpful links with pictures to help take the dash apart. I would say go for it if you have installed a stereo in a car before. If you haven’t or if it sounds like something that you would feel uncomfortable with then don't do it. Good luck

ok i have an 05 c230k with the 6disc changer in the glove and harmon kardon and im extreme interested in getting my ipod hooked up in the car, especially if the steering controls will work!

How, when, where, and how much ????
Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
For the Steering Wheel to work its $300 in oregon....and 200 4 labor...but 4 the ipod to work its 45 (its just a cable, the wheel wont work then)
Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM

Moviela,

Yes I have the HK system, but no phone, teleAid or Sirius radio. Steering wheel connectivity with iPod is working. But again when the iPod or iPod harness is hooked up auto volume doesnt operate when using head unit CD, CD Changer and radio.

I'm not sure if the CANBUS system was tampered with by the dealer. I know for a fact that about a month after we purchased the car the auto volume stopped working along with the auto rain sensor, took it in to the dealer they replaced the rain and audio sensor (according to them ). When we picked up the car we noticed the seat belt chime no longer was audible only the icon on the instrument panel lit up. We fought tooth and nail that it had the chime they argued that the 05 230 doesnt come with that option (funny the 05 C230K loaner had the chime) they replaced the instrument cluster saying that the new sensors they had installed were updated and didnt have full connectivity with the old instrument cluster. Needless to say their recomended fixes didnt work the audible chime or auto volume are not working. When we questioned the fact that the iPod took away the auto volume function from the other compononents their foreman said that actually the iPod is still at the experimental stage on the 05 C230K and isnt guaranteed to work.

Can anyone in the Los Angeles area let me know whos had a successful iPod installation by their dealer without any issues or fixing one thing and screwing up another. I dont think Ill be visiting the MBZ dealer in Van Nuys anymore.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@ Class-C

The amp for the HK system is on the right rear fender well in the trunk. That module can contain trouble codes that can be read by Star Diagnostics. The MOST fiber optic cables must be installed correctly in the head unit when adding the Ipod harness. I did not need to do any version coding on the unit I installed, but that car did not have the Entertainment package, so the microphone above the passenger headliner (B25/6) was not there.

It appears to me that you need a competent tech who can verify that the correct parts were used when correcting the rain sensor and microphone, and that the version coding in the head unit, sound amp, front and rear SAM are correct for your chassis number.

One other thought I have is that there is quite a bit of memory in the head unit that can retain audio settings for things like bass, treble, standard, surround, speech, and Dynamic Range Optimizer. That's Mercedes name for Dynamic sound. Since you can store different values for each component on the MOST ring, you might need to adjust the DRO settings. My car has standard audio, so my head unit only shows treble and bass, but when the coding is done correctly, the extra functions become available.

Downtown LA Motors has impressed me on several ocassions with their service abilities at their Porsche store. I would think the Mercedes shop whould be equally acomplished.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:01 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
Im Just Going to wait to get it instaled in an '05 C Class b/c is still experametal not fulling working....idk if it said it here or in a diffrent post
Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 AM
EKY

2006 Acura RL - Aspec rims/spoiler, JDM grille
I was searching around on the usual car sites I go to. www.acuranews.com had information about their I-pod intergration kit. I found something interesting.....

"Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls."

Does anyone know what this means and if MB will have something like this?

-Eric Y.