C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dodging Heat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Re: Dauphine

Originally posted by CME4BENZ
The best was driving my Moms Renault Dauphine (known as the "Dope fiend") when I was about 17. It was the slowest car I have ever driven. I thought I was eluding as i turned a couple corners and pulled into a parking lot. The cop was laughing his *** off when he pulled in behind me, couldn't believe I was trying to get away from him in that little roach of a car.
Well well well, I had a Dauphine too, only with mine I removed the 845 cc Ventoux engine in favour of a 1289 cc Renault 10 engine and drivetrain I installed. As Dauphines go, it was nice, a late 1965 all disc brake model (still with kingpins though). On 135 SR 15 Michelins it did not handle at all (even with R-10 reaction rods fitted) and indeed was difficult to control with the 60 HP big torque 1300. I oversteered in the wet one day into a parked TR6 and sold it the next.

A friend of mine still has a Dauphine and 4CV, both hot rodded with 103 HP 8 Gordini engines, and another friend has an Alpine A110 and a Renault 8 Gordini. Now THOSE are NICE rear-engined Renaults.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:01 AM
rrf

Not suggested

Never try to evade any cop you may ever see again in a recognizable car, period. It doesn't really matter if they get your plates or not. Doing something like that in a C32 is not too smart.
You are lucky, he probably just thought it was a C320, or whatever, this time.

My step-brother had one of the few anniversary Corvettes and simply outran the CHP on 680,.... faster than their interceptors could go. He headed off to a side road and waited for several hours at a restaurant. Then had his female roomate drive the vette home. He missed work that day, and then drove the vette in the next day, yep on 680, only way to go. The same officer was on duty the next day and you can be sure he was interested to talk when he saw the vette. After a 30 minute discussion, no ticket was issued. My step-brother was late for work. Next day they talked again, this time about how the CHP knew where every anniversary Corvette in the state was, and his was the ONLY one in the area. And again a couple of days later he was pulled over this time for 73 in a 65. Next, he tried temporarily "trading cars" with his female roomie, but she soon tired of doing the speed limit in a fast vette, she could make better time in her Toyota. After a couple of months of the CHP getting even he sold the Corvette.

The cop cannot legally give you any ticket without sure proof that it was YOU (not just the car), but he can make you wish that you got one in the first place, if he thinks you "evaded" him and he sees your rare car again. Take a different route for awhile.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
The only thing visibly rare about the C32 are the badges. We're not talkin about a flashy car anyway. Most people don't know $h!t about cars anyway. At the speed I was going, there was no way he could make out the badges, probably even the plates for that matter. An M3 would probably been a different story. Lucky for me, my neighborhood is filled with a bunch of silver CLK55's, E55's, and other silver benzes & bimmers. On the downside, if the cop were observant he would notice not particularly the car, but the fact that i'm the only one in the area without a front license plate. Oh yeah, did I mention that as I double backed around, I passed by the same cop who, either out of frustration or stupidity, had pulled over a silver BMW!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: Re: Dauphine

Originally posted by Mike T.

Well well well, I had a Dauphine too, only with mine I removed the 845 cc Ventoux engine in favour of a 1289 cc Renault 10 engine and drivetrain I installed. As Dauphines go, it was nice, a late 1965 all disc brake model (still with kingpins though). On 135 SR 15 Michelins it did not handle at all (even with R-10 reaction rods fitted) and indeed was difficult to control with the 60 HP big torque 1300. I oversteered in the wet one day into a parked TR6 and sold it the next.

A friend of mine still has a Dauphine and 4CV, both hot rodded with 103 HP 8 Gordini engines, and another friend has an Alpine A110 and a Renault 8 Gordini. Now THOSE are NICE rear-engined Renaults.
Oh mon dieu! I remember those. A 4CV with 103 horses? Dang, that sounds dangerous (Nur Fliegen Ist Schoener = Nothing beats it except flying - German ad for the Opel GT)!!

The Alpines are all nice!

My driving career started with R4s, then graduated to R5TS LeCar, Peugeot 205 GTD, and 505. Oh, did I mention the Simca 1100 which I traded for a friend's Citroen GS? And I borrowed his DS Break for a few weeks once. My American friends didn't want to be seen riding in one of those. "It looks like a friggin' Palmetto Bug!" He was from Miami, and as I found out later when I went there, the waterbugs ARE as big as and shaped like a DS!!
Old 07-11-2002, 08:44 PM
rrf

Boo2

Your response is one of the big reasons I got the C32 over many other quick cars. And also, for example, one of the reasons I personally wouldn't mod the exhaust to make it throatier.

What good is a fast car if you can never drive it fast, of course, sooner or later someone will see you, but with the C32 you will probably get a reprieve, in that they won't figure it out.

If you were tooling around in an bright orange Dodge 440 they would certainly remember you. Whether they actually "caught" you that time or not. From then on they would be "looking" for you. In the C32 you just kind of disappear into the scenery.

I had a bright red Z28 convertible that the police would follow, just for fun. One time I had to go way out of my way so he wouldn't find where I lived.